Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I never cared for NC and lindsay's Fenrgully review. While each of them have their own good lines, a lot of their shared bits came off as forced to me, especially the opening fight scene.

I much prefer NC's solo review for Ferngully 2 myself.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

GregX

Quote from: Goldstar on December 17, 2013, 11:49:17 AM
Does anyone know what's been happening with Lindsay Ellis and Team NChick? None of them have released a review or anything in a couple of months. I know that Elisa Hansen married Paw Duggan (sp?) a little while ago, and they both did commentary over Paw's Music Movies review of Disney's Fantasia, but I heard anything about them since. I hope that nothing bad has happened.

She posted this on Facebook back in July:

QuoteAt this point I've gotten enough questions on the issue that I feel it warrants a response, so here goes:

I'm not dead. I'm sick. Without going into too much detail, an old ailment has flared up. It does this every few years or so, and this particular episode has been a rough one. I've been in treatment for a little while and I'm hopping from doctor to doctor trying to find the right cocktail to get my brain back in working order. It's nothing dramatic or out of the ordinary, and I may expound on it later and in more helpful detail, but for now we'll leave it at this; my machine is broken. It's in the shop right now. Don't confuse this for fishing for compliments or pity, but it's been a while since I've produced anything, and I feel I owe at least a simple explanation. This one is all I have to offer right now, for what that's worth.

Thanks for your patience and concern.

Avaitor

Yeah, that explained her hiatus during that part of the year, but she came back, looking fine, in September-ish with a couple of videos.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Goldstar

QuoteAt this point I've gotten enough questions on the issue that I feel it warrants a response, so here goes:

I'm not dead. I'm sick. Without going into too much detail, an old ailment has flared up. It does this every few years or so, and this particular episode has been a rough one. I've been in treatment for a little while and I'm hopping from doctor to doctor trying to find the right cocktail to get my brain back in working order. It's nothing dramatic or out of the ordinary, and I may expound on it later and in more helpful detail, but for now we'll leave it at this; my machine is broken. It's in the shop right now. Don't confuse this for fishing for compliments or pity, but it's been a while since I've produced anything, and I feel I owe at least a simple explanation. This one is all I have to offer right now, for what that's worth.

Thanks for your patience and concern.

I remember that. That was in the summer, but Lindsay made a couple of videos in August and September, where she at least appeared to be OK. She doesn't seem to have made anything since then.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Dr. Insomniac

She's been busy because she landed a job with the Pokemon dubbers. She hasn't explicitly said it due to contractual reasons or something, but tweets saying that she's working for a localization company, plus pictures with Pokemon voice actors, combined with all the pictures she has on Twitter featuring Pokemon dolls makes it obvious.

Goldstar

Well, kudos to Lindsay if she got another job, although I'm guessing this means that she'll be doing internet videos much less often, if at all. It'll be a shame to see her go, especially since she's probably the main reason why anyone visits Chez Apocalypse, but I guess that she just lost the passion for what she was doing.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

GregX

Quote from: Goldstar on December 19, 2013, 09:32:47 AM
Well, kudos to Lindsay if she got another job, although I'm guessing this means that she'll be doing internet videos much less often, if at all. It'll be a shame to see her go, especially since she's probably the main reason why anyone visits Chez Apocalypse, but I guess that she just lost the passion for what she was doing.

Or she's just really busy. Working in the entertainment business, especially in a studio like that is long and grueling work.

Avaitor

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So....all along Hocus Pocus was about discriminating against virgins?

Maybe I'm just too oblivious to this kind of stuff, but WTF?

Avaitor

In all honesty, yes, Max's virginity does come up a few times in the movie, in some points that it becomes distracting.

But there's more to the film then that. Max and his sister's relationship, their struggling after moving to a new town, and the witches. Those are the bread and butter of the movie.

New blog!

Nel_Annette

Is Doug fucking high? Hocus Pocus is awesome. I didn't even remember the virgin thing, yet he seems so strangely focused on it. Eh, whatever, I think he missed the point completely. I was actually looking forward to this one because so many people consider the movie a classic, but yeah.

talonmalon333

Yeah, I and apparently everyone thought Doug was overreacting. I mean they mention the whole virginity thing a few times, but it's really not much. And he talks about it like it's harmful to kids... Honestly, I watched that movie quite a few times and never even thought about it, probably because most kids don't even know what the word means. When you're a kid, you watch it for Halloween and witches and stuff like that.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

He even went so far as to say not to show it to kids. First off, if there really was an anti-virgin message in the movie, it would go over just about any normal kid's head at an early age. However, even when I watched the movie as an adult, I just saw that virginity thing as a forgettable running gag that the movie had going on, and at no point did I get the idea that Disney was saying that virgins are losers (especially since the dude who's a virgin is the fucking hero of the movie). I can understand if Doug doesn't care for the movie itself, but to imply that the message of the movie is to put down virgins is ridiculous. It's just a fucking Haloween movie that's about a group of kids trying to stop some witches.

No-Personality

Agreed: Doug was more preoccupied with virginity than the film was. Disney's a big bully in school?? Does he forget that these things are actually written, oft-times by people who technically aren't copying Executive Notes.

He nailed the movie on one thing though: the witch trio weren't given much to work with. Their story was formula, they did nothing with their time onscreen except be goofy. Which can only take a movie so far. In this movie's case, not to the finish line. Or even halfway.

If Lindsay were reviewing this for the first time this year, I would really expect her to mention Death Becomes Her as a great comparison to prove where the acting and story did in fact carry the film as far as its cinematography, effects, and music.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

No-Personality

Oh... and he skipped Pollyanna, Old Yeller, The Shaggy Dog, The Apple Dumpling Gang, Swiss Family Robinson, Escape to Witch Mountain, and The Absent-Minded Professor in favor of George of the Jungle and at least 3 movies he's already discussed at length before (Flight of the Navigator, Rocketeer, Return to Oz- none of which made a bigger impact upon the company or its fans than the previously mentioned).

I was excited when this started. Only to realize the last thing worth getting excited about was Honey, I Blew Up the Kid. Posted half-way through the month.

Fail, Mr. Walker. Fail.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...