Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In terms of easy navigation, it's WAY better than the old website, especially if you are trying to use it with a tablet or touch-screen device, which was infuriatingly hard to do on the dated style of the old website. Personally, I approve of the change. The layout is kind of bland, but I wasn't a big fan of the original site's layout, anyways.

LumRanmaYasha

While I thought the latest NC was only okay, the song at the end was glorious. Easily the best part of the review.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heh, I remember watching this special on CN as far back as 10 years ago. It was so godawfully lazy, but somewhat entertaining in how poor its quality was. They also re-ran it a lot on that channel, so it was kind of hard for me to ignore it at the time.

Speaking of animated Christmas Specials based on songs/poems/lyrics of some kind, does anyone remmeber The Town Santa Forgot, based on the poem Jeremy Creek? It was an animated special that originally aired on NBC, but I saw it in syndication on CN as they regularly aired it during the holiday season each year for quite a while. I remember liking it quite a lot as a kid, though it has been ages since I've last seen it, so I can't say whether it really holds up or not.

Avaitor

I remember that being pretty okay, as well. Haven't seen it in ages, though.

But oh man, I remember NC's subject. I think I actually watched this a couple of times. It was so obnoxious that I couldn't help but stick around if I found it.

"Sign!"
"Sing?"
"No, I want you to sign!"
"That's fine, but I'd rather sing!"

Goddamn, that bit. Horrible in every meaning.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 03, 2014, 07:49:47 PMSpeaking of animated Christmas Specials based on songs/poems/lyrics of some kind, does anyone remmeber The Town Santa Forgot, based on the poem Jeremy Creek? It was an animated special that originally aired on NBC, but I saw it in syndication on CN as they regularly aired it during the holiday season each year for quite a while. I remember liking it quite a lot as a kid, though it has been ages since I've last seen it, so I can't say whether it really holds up or not.

I've seen it multiple times. I still think it's a great special today.

Daxdiv

It does feel like Cartoon Network is trying to make "Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer" a holiday classic or something. This is like one of the few specials that get repeated over the month of December on CN, like every year. WHY CARTOON NETWORK?

Avaitor

I just saw that Doug did a Disneycember for The Black Hole.

It's been too long since I last saw this, so I can't recall if he screwed anything up here, but I had much of the same reaction that he did. This really isn't that good.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Daikun

Quote from: Daxdiv on December 03, 2014, 10:23:03 PMIt does feel like Cartoon Network is trying to make "Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer" a holiday classic or something. This is like one of the few specials that get repeated over the month of December on CN, like every year. WHY CARTOON NETWORK?

The special is copyrighted by WB, and they own Turner. It's a bullshit corporate mandate that they can't shake off.

Avaitor

Doug also did Castle in the Sky for Disneycember, which was pretty well done, but the one I really want to talk about is here- Something Wicked This Way Comes. Well, I'm certainly a bigger fan than he is, and I only saw it for the first time in high school. But I really do appreciate the atmosphere behind the story, right down to Jonathan Price's excellent performance. It's a great adaptation of Bradbury's story.

New blog!

Avaitor

New Todd.

Wow, I feel like we had the same reaction to the song here. Compared to much of Taylor's stuff, I do think that "Blank Space" is a very well-written song, and a much better attack on critics than "Shake It Off"... but I heard this at least 20 times in the past weekend, thanks to my sister, and my appreciation for the song is completely null and void. Great review!

New blog!

talonmalon333

At one point, Blank Space was on three radio stations at the same time.

Honestly, I don't even think it's a particularly good song. Certainly 10x's better than Shake It Off, though.

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac