Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

I actually enjoyed Burton's PotA because of its cheesy factor. I'd never consider it a good movie, though.

Peanutbutter

Other than the bullcrap ending, I thought Planet of the Apes was fine when I saw it in theaters. Haven't seen it at all since, none of the TV networks have ever aired it to my knowledge. I have no idea if it would hold up to me.

LumRanmaYasha

LumRanmaYasha

They made another episode of Pop Quiz Hotshot.

It's better than the pilot, but still a total waste of people's money.

Avaitor

New Todd video!

I'm home, so I'm able to c/p here. :P
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

This week the NC asks the most nostalgia-challenging question ever: "Are Kids Shows Better Now Than Ever?"

I agree with him as far as the cream of the crop of modern cartoons go. Doug obviously doesn't watch some of the lesser stuff out these days, like Sanjay & Craig and Ultimate Spider-Man, which aren't pushing the bar with quality entertainment in any capacity, but I suppose they're still preferable over the weakest stuff from previous decades. As a whole I think tv animation is better than it's ever been. As far as live-action kid fare goes, I don't they've really become any better or any worse. There's very few LA shows from my childhood that hold up for me and there's only about as much that I'd care to watch on tv these days.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I agree that kids shows, in general, are of a higher standard today than in previous generations. What I mean by that is how more and more shows are tackling more complex themes and appealing to adults just as much as children. However, I don't quite agree with Doug's implication that shows like Gargoyles or BTAS, while still good, aren't as good as something like Avatar or Adventure Time. More than just being influential, shows of that variety still stand up just as well to modern great shows because of the writing, effort, thought, and care put into them.

That said, yes, with the standards of children's programming being higher than ever before, many kids and adults alike now have expectations for most of these cartoons. Which is to say that it's no longer enough to just try and keep kids alone entertained for a half hour at a time, or even to haphazardly throw in adult themes just for the sake of it, but rather cartoons of this nature are now regularly expected to appeal to a very broad demographic while also being scrutinized by the same standards that one would use to critique a show meant for adults, including aspects of both story and character development.

LumRanmaYasha

Peanutbutter

What was special about Monday?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Peanutbutter

Well, haven't rewatched Garfield in a while. Should have remembered that as there is no other character in any fictional history that hates a certain day of the week than Garfield hating Mondays.  :sweat:

Daxdiv

Why does Garfield even hate Mondays, he's a cat that lays around the house his human provides for him. He has no 9-5, Monday to Friday job that I know of.

Daikun

Quote from: Daxdiv on August 06, 2015, 02:28:54 AMWhy does Garfield even hate Mondays, he's a cat that lays around the house his human provides for him. He has no 9-5, Monday to Friday job that I know of.

Mondays are like a curse for him. Bad luck happens to him on that day.