Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Comic Books

Started by gunswordfist, August 11, 2012, 11:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Insomniac

I believe that fandom in and of itself has crippled the comic medium's ability to advance in society. And not just fans of superhero comics. You have fans of Carl Barks and Don Rosa who lodge them into their own little obscure pedestal while refusing to associate with the more mainstream works such as Ducktales, thereby cutting off the chance for newcomers to be even interested in the Donald Duck comics. It would be a mere shame if it was just fans, but these people have entrenched themselves into the very industry. It is almost impossible to find a writer in comics who is interested in the fundamental aspects of the medium and not just because they get the chance of writing their favorite character. I think Warren Ellis said it best when talking about how the American comics movement has essentially been a series of people writing characters they grew up with, which will eventually foster writers who will write comics merely because of some fanaticism towards DC and Marvel, and so on and so on.

gunswordfist

I found this today: http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/artisticneedham/jack-kirbys-creations-list/75-15680/

I don't know how accurate the list is and some characters he just had a hand in creating their original design but either way  :o
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

I hate it when supervillains find out about a hero's secret identity.

Dr. Insomniac

I disagree with the idea that comics are too dark. Most of them are blood-drenched, nihilistic, and full of doodads that would barely pass primetime television, but that's not dark. That's trying to be dark and only succeeding at having as much depth as a Silver Age comic. Really, comics nowadays are too light in grit when you look between the lines. The latest Bendis offering might be gritty, but it's certainly not mature.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 30, 2013, 12:38:07 PM
I disagree with the idea that comics are too dark. Most of them are blood-drenched, nihilistic, and full of doodads that would barely pass primetime television, but that's not dark. That's trying to be dark and only succeeding at having as much depth as a Silver Age comic. Really, comics nowadays are too light in grit when you look between the lines. The latest Bendis offering might be gritty, but it's certainly not mature.

That kind of style is something that turns me off from a lot of stuff in general. There are a tone of works from manga and anime to comics, shows, and movies that try to come off as mature by just painting a gritty look over their shallow and uninspired stories, without actually bothering to feature any of the substance and depth that truly makes a mature story.

gunswordfist

Well, mature and dark/gritty are two different things.

gunswordfist

People need to stop acting like Bill Finger is Batman's only creator. I swear I thought Bob Kane peeked over Finger's shoulder, saw his written down ideas and then ran to DC to cash in or something by the way people eliminate Kane's input on making the character. Yes Finger perhaps came up with like 99% of Batman original iteration but Bob Kane had the original idea for Batman before Finger helped him. So both should be considered the co-creators. People acting like Kane deserves no credit aren't any better than anyone who ignores Finger's contributions.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 30, 2013, 12:58:05 PM
People need to stop acting like Bill Finger is Batman's only creator. I swear I thought Bob Kane peeked over Finger's shoulder, saw his written down ideas and then ran to DC to cash in or something by the way people eliminate Kane's input on making the character. Yes Finger perhaps came up with like 99% of Batman original iteration but Bob Kane had the original idea for Batman before Finger helped him. So both should be considered the co-creators. People acting like Kane deserves no credit aren't any better than anyone who ignores Finger's contributions.
I second this. I always hate it when one guy gets all the fame while the other guy doesn't.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Graywulf on January 30, 2013, 01:51:34 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on January 30, 2013, 12:58:05 PM
I second this. I always hate it when one guy gets all the fame while the other guy doesn't.
Me too. Funny how people's way of acknowledging Finger getting cheated out of credit is to do the same thing to Kane.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Dave Mustaine wrote a better Punisher story in two verses than Marvel has been able to in about 40 years.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on April 18, 2013, 11:27:39 AM
Dave Mustaine wrote a better Punisher story in two verses than Marvel has been able to in about 40 years.
...have you actually read Garth Ennis' run yet? Or Greg Rucka's? Because unless this is just more uninformed hyperbole as usual, I have a hard time believing the following lyrics to be better than what those two men did.

QuoteI Wage the war on organized crime
Sneak attacks, repel down the rocks
Behind the lines
Some people risk to employ me
Some people live to destroy me
Either way they die. they die

They killed my wife and my baby,
With hopes to enslave me
First mistake... last mistake
Paid by the alliance, to slay all the giants
Next mistake... no more mistakes!

Avaitor

Some, but my opinion remains. Mostly cause it's Mustaine.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac