Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Movies

Started by GregX, February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

I liked the story of Avatar, even if it was by the numbers. Something noteworthy when a movie makes you root against your own kind.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 13, 2013, 09:58:47 PM
I liked the story of Avatar, even if it was by the numbers. Something noteworthy when a movie makes you root against your own kind.
It's not that it was by the numbers, it was that the exact plot was done before, and much better, way before it came out.

Story should matter more than special effects, in my opinion.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

It's still
1. Evil Dead
2. Evil Dead 2
3. Army Of Darkness
for me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

-I actually like the first 2 Mummy movies (the remake and the sequel). To me they were self-aware that they were ridiculous movies with mostly mediocre to bad actors and they just had fun with themselves, and I had fun too. I also enjoyed them more than 2 particular Indiana Jones movies, if nothing else (take a guess as to which 2 those are).

-Ed Wood is brilliant, but my favorite Tim Burton movie is actually Big Fish. Go figure.

-As far as the Marvel Movie-verse goes, Captain America is my favorite Avenger simply because he's the most likable and barely has an ego, yet at the same time isn't portrayed as perfect and actually has his own interesting character arc.

gunswordfist

I hope Rogers is still a bit naive/awkward in Captain America 2. He wasn't quite the Capt. we all kn ow from the comics yet.

I like the first two Mummies as well. They're like at the bottom of my favorite movies list. ;D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

No-Personality

Quote from: Nel_Annette on April 21, 2013, 06:32:32 PMTarantino on the whole just doesn't do much for me.
Jackie Brown is one of my favorite movies of all-time.

All-time.

So, the whole "let's judge him as though all his movies are kinda the same" doesn't do much for me.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Foggle

Quote from: No-Personality on June 01, 2013, 11:34:44 PM
Quote from: Nel_Annette on April 21, 2013, 06:32:32 PMTarantino on the whole just doesn't do much for me.

All-time.

So, the whole "let's judge him as though all his movies are kinda the same" doesn't do much for me.
I agree with your entire post.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: No-Personality on June 01, 2013, 11:34:44 PM

All-time.

Um...what exactly are you saying?

talonmalon333

What do most people prefer between Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight Rises?

Foggle

If it's not TDKR, I question the sanity of the film community at large.

Foggle

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on June 02, 2013, 11:45:58 AM
I believe he's saying that claims of Tarantino just making the same movie over and over again are erroneous and one cannot say they dislike his entire body of work without actually watching all of his films.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The only film of his that I haven't at least tried watching yet is Death Proof. For the most part, I'm not really a fan of his stuff except for, oddly enough, his last 2 movies, which I don't love by any means, but those were probably the most appealing films he's made as far as what I like goes.

That said, its perfectly possible that there are people who don't like any of his works. I agree that they can't all be labeled as the same, but they also each have a signature directing style that can be associated with Tarantino that might just not appeal to people. There's nothing ridiculous about not liking any of his work at all.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2013, 01:40:30 PM

I like Batman Begins just as much as Dark Knight Rises.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2013, 01:42:31 PM
Quote from: ShadowGentleman on June 02, 2013, 11:45:58 AM
I believe he's saying that claims of Tarantino just making the same movie over and over again are erroneous and one cannot say they dislike his entire body of work without actually watching all of his films.
That makes sense, but if Nel_Annette has seen some of his movies (I don't know if he has or not), then there's no need to make a such a comment directed at him.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 02, 2013, 02:06:02 PM
Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2013, 01:40:30 PM

I like Batman Begins just as much as Dark Knight Rises.

I like TDKR more. I think the only reason that people don't go hard on the problems with BB is because it was the first Batman movie in the trilogy and it had come after a long period of no Batman films, not to mention how notoriously bad the last Batman film was before it. Then TDK came out and blew it out of the water in terms of quality, IMO, and most people considered it a superior sequel in general. However, that left TDKR coming hot of the heels of what many considered to be the best Batman movie ever, which caused many people to have their expectations set way too high and they were thus way more critical of the film than they ever were with BB back when that came out.

To me, though, I never thought BB was a great movie to begin with. I thought it was a very good, solid Batman movie, but it never impressed me quite as much as everyone else. I was actually not even that interested in seeing the sequel, and the trailers didn't do anything to convince me. I only casually went with a friend of mine and my dad to see the film just because there was nothing else to do that day, and I was taken by surprise at just how great it really was. That said, I never really expected TDKR to top it, even though I do think its still possible to top a film like TDK, so I kept my expectations in check, and overall I thought TDKR was still a damn good conclusion to the trilogy. I found it to be more interesting than BB, and on the whole a good movie in its own right, though like BB I personally wouldn't call it great.