Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Movies

Started by GregX, February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 02, 2013, 02:45:35 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 02, 2013, 02:06:02 PM
Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2013, 01:40:30 PM
If it's not TDKR, I question the sanity of the film community at large.

I like Batman Begins just as much as Dark Knight Rises.

I like TDKR more. I think the only reason that people don't go hard on the problems with BB is because it was the first Batman movie in the trilogy and it had come after a long period of no Batman films, not to mention how notoriously bad the last Batman film was before it. Then TDK came out and blew it out of the water in terms of quality, IMO, and most people considered it a superior sequel in general. However, that left TDKR coming hot of the heels of what many considered to be the best Batman movie ever, which caused many people to have their expectations set way too high and they were thus way more critical of the film than they ever were with BB back when that came out.

To me, though, I never thought BB was a great movie to begin with. I thought it was a very good, solid Batman movie, but it never impressed me quite as much as everyone else. I was actually not even that interested in seeing the sequel, and the trailers didn't do anything to convince me. I only casually went with a friend of mine and my dad to see the film just because there was nothing else to do that day, and I was taken by surprise at just how great it really was. That said, I never really expected TDKR to top it, even though I do think its still possible to top a film like TDK, so I kept my expectations in check, and overall I thought TDKR was still a damn good conclusion to the trilogy. I found it to be more interesting than BB, and on the whole a good movie in its own right, though like BB I personally wouldn't call it great.

I'm not too harsh on TDKR, either. I think people are too nitpicky about the little things here and there, and end up forgetting that the movie has it where it counts. That said, I'm also a big fan of Batman Begins, and am probably its biggest fan on this site. I just really like both. But overall, TDK is definitely the best of the trilogy.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 02, 2013, 01:52:07 PM
The only film of his that I haven't at least tried watching yet is Death Proof. For the most part, I'm not really a fan of his stuff except for, oddly enough, his last 2 movies, which I don't love by any means, but those were probably the most appealing films he's made as far as what I like goes.

That said, its perfectly possible that there are people who don't like any of his works. I agree that they can't all be labeled as the same, but they also each have a signature directing style that can be associated with Tarantino that might just not appeal to people. There's nothing ridiculous about not liking any of his work at all.
Death Proof is shit, don't even bother.

Don't get me wrong, I can easily see why someone would hate all of QT's movies (even though I love 'em), I just think No-Personality was saying that you can't judge them all based on two or three samples like some people do.

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on June 02, 2013, 02:17:04 PM
That makes sense, but if Nel_Annette has seen some of his movies (I don't know if he has or not), then there's no need to make a such a comment directed at him.
Good point.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 02, 2013, 02:06:02 PM
I like Batman Begins just as much as Dark Knight Rises.
Well, I mean, there's certainly nothing wrong with liking BB more than TDKR or even TDK, I just don't agree with that opinion. ;)

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2013, 03:53:07 PM
Well, I mean, there's certainly nothing wrong with liking BB more than TDKR or even TDK, I just don't agree with that opinion. ;)

But it means you question my sanity. :thinkin:

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 02, 2013, 04:26:42 PM

You have sanity?

Foggle

Tom Hardy's Bane alone is better than Batman Begins in its entirety. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Nel_Annette

NP's comment towards me did kind of irk me, because I didn't even mean to make a blanket statement about Tarantino's quality, but whatever. I've seen Death Proof, Kill Bill (both volumes), Inglorious Basterds, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and I think that's it. Maybe Jackie Brown's amazing, I haven't seen it.

The guy's clearly talented, and I get why people like his work, but based on the 6 movies of his I've seen, his stuff just doesn't do much for me personally. If it floats your boat, more power to you.

And I made that comment in April. Don't attack me over it now.  :lol:

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Nel_Annette on June 02, 2013, 04:46:31 PM
And I made that comment in April. Don't attack me over it now.  :lol:
This is the internet. Everything you say can and will be used against you.

Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2013, 04:34:39 PM

Tom Hardy's Bane alone is better than Batman Begins in its entirety. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
This one speaks the truth.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 02, 2013, 04:31:30 PM

You have sanity?

Aren't you the guy who made a thread claiming to be Jesus Christ? >_<

Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2013, 04:34:39 PM

And if they didn't suddenly swap him out for some hot chick that got no screentime or characterization, maybe he couldn't been an effective leading threat. :happytime:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I've got to admit, Bane in TDKR was awesome!....Until a certain plot-point kind of fucked it all up. Up until then, I honestly liked him as a villain as much as Heath Ledger's Joker. I shit you not.

Foggle

I still don't see how that plot twist made him less cool.

talonmalon333

It made him less intimidating, I think. It's just a better idea for Bane to be the one in charge, and the one who put into effect this scheme. Practically would make him the ultimate foe for Batman because he's got the smarts, but can still whup you if you challenge him directly. His character just seemed softer and less badass after that twist.

Most of TDKR's little flaws don't really bother me much at all. But that twist was just irksome.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2013, 05:16:09 PM

Spoiler
It basically made it so that he was Talia's bitch. All of the stuff the stuff that he did to take control of Gotham wasn't on his wit and intellect, but under Talia's order, with him only using his power of intimidation. And when he Talia revealed herself, he acted like a loyal obedient servant who couldn't act without her command, which was just off-putting to everything I had seem him do and how he was built-up throughout the entire movie. Being her protector is one thing, and I don't mind that, but being that it was revealed that all of the expert planning and other bad stuff that went down wasn't really all his own doing made his threat level drop greatly for me. It basically means that without Talia, Bane couldn't have made it half as far as he did. That, and the way he got taken out was a joke. Catwoman shoots him with the guns from Batman's bike and blows him away in a total Deus Ex Machina move, and he becomes the victim of just being blasted off-screen never to be seen again, and his death is followed by a forgettable one-liner from Catwoman. Personally I thought he deserved a better death than that.
[close]

Foggle

Spoiler
Does it ever really state that the whole thing was Talia's plan, though? I mean, Bane was clearly extremely intelligent, so they were probably working side by side the whole time. He wasn't really her bitch, he just loved her as if she was family.
[close]

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 02, 2013, 05:22:35 PM
Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2013, 05:16:09 PM

Spoiler
It basically made it so that he was Talia's bitch. All of the stuff the stuff that he did to take control of Gotham wasn't on his wit and intellect, but under Talia's order, with him only using his power of intimidation. And when he Talia revealed herself, he acted like a loyal obedient servant who couldn't act without her command, which was just off-putting to everything I had seem him do and how he was built-up throughout the entire movie. Being her protector is one thing, and I don't mind that, but being that it was revealed that all of the expert planning and other bad stuff that went down wasn't really all his own doing made his threat level drop greatly for me. It basically means that without Talia, Bane couldn't have made it half as far as he did. That, and the way he got taken out was a joke. Catwoman shoots him with the guns from Batman's bike and blows him away in a total Deus Ex Machina move, and he becomes the victim of just being blasted off-screen never to be seen again, and his death is followed by a forgettable one-liner from Catwoman. Personally I thought he deserved a better death than that.
[close]

Spoiler

I hated his death scene. It might've been the worst part of the Talia twist to me. When I was first watching the movie, I didn't even know that killed him. I was sure he'd come back for another appearance. But then it's like... nope, he's dead.

But yeah, everything Bane did up till then just made him seem so evil. I could've lived with Bane being the son of Ra's al Ghul, despite it being a massive change from the comic books.
[close]

Avaitor

I still say that Aaron Eckhart was better than Ledger, personally.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/