Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Movies

Started by GregX, February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on June 08, 2013, 11:52:37 AM
The Adam West Batman show is one of the funniest and most inventive sitcoms of all time. And as a kid, I thought it was completely serious. Good memories made even better as I age!

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 08, 2013, 11:48:03 AM
While Bale's Batman voice is, obviously, pretty questionable, I was very interested in the Batman character in that movie. I know some people weren't, but I was a fan of the movie going into his character and backstory. In the old Batman movies, he always felt like he was just "kinda there" to me, and those movies mostly just had fun with their villains. Christopher Nolan did a pretty good job at making Bruce Wayne a character and not just Batman's alter ego.
I was also interested in Batman in the Nolan films, but I think that's only because I was already a big fan of the character. Though I thought Bale did a pretty excellent job in TDKR.

That's possible. But to be fair, I feel like Batman is such a massively established icon that it's hard to say how much you would or wouldn't care, if you weren't already a fan. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 08, 2013, 11:48:03 AM
While Bale's Batman voice is, obviously, pretty questionable, I was very interested in the Batman character in that movie. I know some people weren't, but I was a fan of the movie going into his character and backstory. In the old Batman movies, he always felt like he was just "kinda there" to me, and those movies mostly just had fun with their villains. Christopher Nolan did a pretty good job at making Bruce Wayne a character and not just Batman's alter ego.

In Batman Begins Bruce's back-story/childhood just felt so by the numbers compared to what I had already seen in the Burton movies and the animated series. The only new twist that Nolan added was going more into his training, which was cool to see, but it didn't help make that version of Bruce/Batman a more interesting character for me. I found that Bale generally got better wit his portrayal of Bruce Wayne in the sequels, but even so, I just don't see what made him so interesting. To me, his persona as Batman in pretty much all of those films pretty much defines "just being there," as I was always more engrossed in the villains and what supporting characters were up to. Batman in those movies, to me, was just a force to resolve the conflict. His actual "character-arc" was pretty predictable and on the whole something I had already seen done before in the animated series (and better at that, I might add).

In Burton's first Batman film, the character wasn't that interesting, either. But the difference is that I could actually feel that Batman was an important presence in the film and whenever he was in a scene, I felt my attention gravitate towards him rather than just wanting to see how the villain reacts and tries to overcome him. With Bale's portrayal of Batman....I guess I just really couldn't bring myself to care what happened to him.

Avaitor

I like how Bruce's chiroptophobia was shown during the opening and builds its way into his doning of the character, personally. That's a little different than most takes on the origin.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I liked Joe Chill not being the Joker.

Quote from: Foggle on June 08, 2013, 11:52:37 AM
The Adam West Batman show is one of the funniest and most inventive sitcoms of all time. And as a kid, I thought it was completely serious. Good memories made even better as I age!
PLEASE watch The Brave & The Bold! Seriously!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 09, 2013, 01:37:16 PM
Alright, I will. ;) I've seen a few episodes of it and loved them. Also, I can't wait for the Batman '66 comic this summer!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on June 09, 2013, 01:46:42 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 09, 2013, 01:37:16 PM
Alright, I will. ;) I've seen a few episodes of it and loved them. Also, I can't wait for the Batman '66 comic this summer!
Yes!

TB&TB is just everything I enjoy about superheroes mixed with everything great about Batman. I really have trouble seeing Batman or superhero fans disliking it unless they are prejudging it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

At this point I've watched all of TB&TB except for the final episode of season 3, but on the whole I think it may just be my favorite Batman show, now. I know I might draw a lot of heat for having that opinion, and believe me, I love BTAS (I wouldn't own the entire series on DVD if I didn't), but I just think that this series nailed what it set out to do and on the whole had the most consistent run of good episodes of any superhero show that I have ever seen.

::EDIT::

Except for The Specatular Spider-Man, which had just as consistent of a run of good episodes, though to be fair that was a much shorter series than TB&TB, so on that front TB&TB's quality is quite impressive.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on June 09, 2013, 02:51:05 PM
At this point I've watched all of TB&TB except for the final episode of season 3, but on the whole I think I may just be my favorite Batman show, now. I know I might draw a lot of heat for having that opinion, and believe me, I love BTAS (I wouldn't own the entire series on DVD if I didn't), but I just think that this series nailed what it set out to do and on the whole had the most consistent run of good episodes of any superhero show that I have ever seen.
:happytime:

I'm glad to find myself a fellow super-fan! It recently took up the mantle of my favorite superhero show. It simply has it all.

LumRanmaYasha

I'll third the opinion of Batman: The Brave and the Bold being my favorite Batman/Superhero show, and I love a lot of superhero shows, but Brave and the Bold is the only one I would consider a really top, top favorite for me personally. I honestly don't think there was a single episode I didn't like or one I wouldn't want to watch again, which is quite the fear in itself and speaks to the series' overall quality. After I go through Batman Beyond again I'll probably give the show another rewatch.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, in terms of being my FAVORITE superhero show, TSSM still takes that spot for me, but T&TB is easily a close-second.

No-Personality

Nolan / Bale Batman = Cookie Monster voice. Impossible to take character seriously.

Superman = been awhile since I watched those films (I'd love to revisit but Netflix streaming is holding out last I checked and my roommates only have the first movie on DVD) but easily the most compelling thing about the various versions of Superman on film is the fact that the character wears his underwear on the outside.

How's that for an unpopular opinion?   ;)

(Historical Factoid: Wes Craven was considered to direct Superman IV and only turned down by Christopher Reeve, who was incensed by the idea.)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: No-Personality on June 20, 2013, 02:50:25 AM
How's that for an unpopular opinion?   ;)
Not really unpopular. Very few people have had a good thing to say about the new Super-suit.

talonmalon333

Here's a bit of an unpopular opinion.

I think that Troll 2 is an overrated (underrated?) "bad movie".

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 23, 2013, 08:44:57 PM

How so?

I'm more of a Room man myself, but you can't piss on hospitality. I WON'T ALLOW IT.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on June 23, 2013, 08:55:08 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 23, 2013, 08:44:57 PM

How so?

I'm more of a Room man myself, but you can't piss on hospitality. I WON'T ALLOW IT.

I like it. I just think there are more entertaining "so bad it's good" movies out there, even though Troll 2 seems to be looked at as the best of them. Maybe I've just had a little too much of the "They're eating her, and then they're gonna eat me" moment.

I haven't even seen Room. But just from what I saw of it in the Nostalgia Critic's video (which, from what I hear, doesn't even do the movie justice), it easily looks more fun.

I'm a Kazaam fan, myself. :P