Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Movies

Started by GregX, February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No-Personality

Well, I actually view Troll 2 as more of a sincere, sickly surreal masterpiece. Rather than a comedy. People keep viewing it as a comedy, and that's why they're let down. (Your view is becoming increasingly more popular.)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Upon a re-watch, and being fully aware of the films numerous flaws and problems....I still honestly like Prometheus. Now, if you compare it to Alien, of course it doesn't hold a single fucking candle to that film. Its not so much a character thing, because honestly aside from Ridley the other characters in Alien hardly had any depth to them either. Its more that Alien had a much better structure and interesting conflict than in Prometheus. On the other hand, though, maybe I've had my standards lowered by so many sci-fi blockbuster movies and bad horror films in the past decade or so, but I found Prometheus to be a "refreshing" experience, if I were to sum it up in one word. Now, as for the plot-holes, there have already been numerous instances in which many of them have been explained, so I won't go into detail there, but the film is as plot-hole heavy as some people make it out to be (though it does still have them). I think what really bugs people about the film is that it doesn't really give anyone a lot of answers. Personally....that's what I kind of like about it. I like that the film doesn't feel like it should be explaining everything away. To me, the most interesting thing about Alien is how much you were left just flat-out not knowing at the end of the film, and its what kept me thinking about in the most. On that end, I really like how I only ever had a vague idea of what really went down with the aliens in Prometheus, but I find that the interesting thing about this film is that each time I re-watch it, I discover new things that I hadn't noticed before, which is something that I love to see in a film.

On the whole, I wouldn't deny that Prometheus has a lot of problems, and if someone called it a bad film I wouldn't try to argue with them about it, but for me it holds enough merits and is just interesting enough for me that I enjoy the movie as a stand-alone piece each time that I watch it.

Spark Of Spirit

I think Lethal Weapon 3 and 4 are kind of underrated. They're not quite as great as the first two, but as far as cop movies go they're pretty good and a lot of fun.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 02, 2013, 04:09:15 PM
I think Lethal Weapon 3 and 4 are kind of underrated. They're not quite as great as the first two, but as far as cop movies go they're pretty good and a lot of fun.
Lethsl Weapon 3 was generic but from what I remember, 4 is on par with the first two imo. It also remains Jet Li's only good Hollywood movie ;D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 02, 2013, 07:57:56 PM
Lethal Weapon 3 was generic but from what I remember, 4 is on par with the first two imo. It also remains Jet Li's only good Hollywood movie ;D

I actually liked Romeo Must Die, myself, but I haven't seen it in ages either, so maybe its really horse-piss that I only liked as a kid. That said, yeah, most of his American movies are monkey-balls.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 02, 2013, 08:06:55 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on July 02, 2013, 07:57:56 PM
Lethal Weapon 3 was generic but from what I remember, 4 is on par with the first two imo. It also remains Jet Li's only good Hollywood movie ;D

I actually liked Romeo Must Die, myself, but I haven't seen it in ages either, so maybe its really horse-piss that I only liked as a kid. That said, yeah, most of his American movies are monkey-balls.
I liked Romero Must Die as a kid (and love Aaliyah) but I doubt it holds out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 02, 2013, 08:33:04 PM
liked Romeo Must Die as a kid (and love Aaliyah) but I doubt it holds out.

Fixed. :)

Also, I don't think the action scenes really compare to what Jet Li has done in his actual marital arts films, but as an American action film I found RMD to be a pretty decent flick. I still need to watch it again, though.

Spark Of Spirit

I thought he was great as the bad guy in LW4. I know he usually played good guys before then but what's wrong with playing against type? He was pretty brutal in that one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Yeah, Li is good at the whole serial killer mood thing. It's a shame that he barely does villain roles. The One is a shitty movie but Jet being evil and a hero in that was a lot of fun

Peanutbutter

I understand other criticism about Star Wars, but I never had a problem with Greedo shooting first, and still think this point of contention is garbage.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 15, 2013, 07:35:27 PM
I understand other criticism about Star Wars, but I never had a problem with Greedo shooting first, and still think this point of contention is garbage.

The idea of making Han look like a good role model is hilarious.

Spark Of Spirit

I think the walkie talkies were the worst change he made because it's very insulting to his audience's intelligence.

Dr. Insomniac

I was also very ashamed when he decided to remove that one wrinkle from Sebastian Shaw's face in Return of the Jedi. To see such a drastic edit absolutely made me cross, I swear on me mum.

talonmalon333

Foggle