Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Movies

Started by GregX, February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

To counter the previous post, I felt that The Hobbit, Part 1 was excellent and will gladly watch the extended cut once it is released.

Spark Of Spirit

The Commitments was both a better book and movie to High Fidelity in relating life to music and much funnier too.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Comeau on September 26, 2013, 04:33:19 PM
The Lord Of The Rings movies are boring awful bullshit.

:worship:

You know what though, maybe they're due for a rewatch. I was pretty young the last time I seen them, and my attention span was practically nonexistent at that point.

Foggle

I literally just finished watching the extended cut of Fellowship for the first time, and I didn't find it boring at all. Haven't seen the theatricals since they were released.

Spark Of Spirit

I haven't seen them since the theater, either. The extended editions are the only way I watch them nowadays.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

To be fair I was just taking Insomniac's challenge.  Although it is true I'm not a fan of the movies.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

Honestly, are they worth a rewatch if I didn't care for them initially?

Keep in mind I was like 10 at the time.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't even know how kids like these movies, personally. I first saw it in high school and thought they were awesome.

Not sure how I would have reacted if I saw them as a kid.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 26, 2013, 05:01:41 PM
I don't even know how kids like these movies, personally. I first saw it in high school and thought they were awesome.

My friends and I loved the battle scenes. We rented the video games from Blockbuster so many times...

Don't think many of us cared about or even understood the plot, though.

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 26, 2013, 05:01:41 PM

That's what's funny though, is that I was one of the only kids in my class that didn't like them. I thought it was just me.

I guess that settles it then, time to look into this.

Commode

I was in high school too when they came out, still wasn't really a fan of them.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I agree with Foggle 100% about The Hobbit. That shouldn't be an unpopular opinion, but unfortunately it is.

As for The Lord of the Rings films, I first saw them when I was a kid (between 12-14, anyways, as they were released in theaters), and at the time I liked them for the battle scenes and awesome looking locations, but didn't understand jack shit about the story or characters. It wasn't until a year later when I actually sat down and read all of the books (including The Hobbit) that I truly started to gain an appreciation for the depth of the plot and characterization. The movie trilogy has its flaws as an adaptation, but seeing as how I consider it downright impossible to top the novels, I think that Peter Jackson basically made as great of an adaptation as you possibly could given the source material (which itself wasn't that well-suited to film, to begin with). He made something that shouldn't have worked turn out pretty damn well, IMO.

Having said that, these movies aren't for everyone. It's amazing that they became as popular and critically well-received as they did, but I can certainly see how some would find it boring. Personally, though, I consider it to be one of my favorite movie trilogies ever.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Comeau on September 26, 2013, 04:33:19 PM
The Lord Of The Rings movies are boring awful bullshit.

AGREE. I can appreciate the mythos of the franchise but holy fuck do those movies drag on, and the only character I really liked was Gandalf. And this is coming from someone who involuntarily watches the whole trilogy at least every two years.

Spark Of Spirit

I think they could be longer, personally.

Kiddington