Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Movies

Started by GregX, February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

I don't know what its reception on here is (if anyone here has seen it), but I tried to watch Much Ado About Nothing by Joss Whedon. I wanted to see it from the preview, and I remember liking what I saw of the 90s adaptation. I wanted to like it, I really did. But I couldn't. The setting killed the dialogue for me, and the line delivery to me was terrible. I could tell this was made while Whedon was throwing a block party at his house. None of the performances sounded sincere. I had to turn it off after forty minutes.

I'll just watch the other 90s movie, since I didn't get to watch all of it anyway.

GregX

Quote from: Peanutbutter on October 22, 2013, 08:32:30 PM
I don't know what its reception on here is (if anyone here has seen it), but I tried to watch Much Ado About Nothing by Joss Whedon. I wanted to see it from the preview, and I remember liking what I saw of the 90s adaptation. I wanted to like it, I really did. But I couldn't. The setting killed the dialogue for me, and the line delivery to me was terrible. I could tell this was made while Whedon was throwing a block party at his house. None of the performances sounded sincere. I had to turn it off after forty minutes.

I'll just watch the other 90s movie, since I didn't get to watch all of it anyway.

I actually think it was the best movie of the year.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Sometimes I think that you can tell the most about a person's taste if you can see when their opinions radically differ from the mass majority of people on any particular thing, whether you like it or hate it. So, to rip off an old idea from Doug Walker, I want to do my top 10 list of movies that I like to some degree that everyone else seems to hate. In this case, these are NOT to be confused with guilty pleasures, which are things that you completely acknowledge as bad but still find enjoyment in for the wrong reasons. These are movies that you genuinely like but admit have plenty of flaws that may merit their negative criticism. For me, those are:

10. The Dark Knight Rises- Alright, this one got more mixed opinions than anything else, which is why I have it dead last on the list since it might not count, but I have noticed that over the time since its release, more people have gradually been coming to the consensus that it sucks, no thanks in small part to some highly influential opinions from Doug Walker and other popular Internet Reviewers. While I can understand and agree with many of the criticisms, none of the flaws bother me nearly as much as it does some other people, and I still think the movie has a lot of strong points to it, which I have gone into in earlier discussions. I also still stand by my opinion that Batman Begins is overrated, and I still like this movie better than that one.

09. Home Alone 2: Lost In New York- Admittedly this one has a lot to do with nostalgia, and it really pushes on the border of being a guilty pleasure, but as a kids movie I can't really say that its any worse than the first film, which for some reason everyone else seems to regard as a classic kids Holiday flick.

08. Ghostbusters II- Well, I've heard people call it more mediocre than bad, but honestly, I like it almost as much as the original. I especially find the villain to be rather memorable at least in terms of design (he actually looks intimidating), and the humor is just as spot-on as ever.

07. Back to the Future Part III- Admittedly I was one of the very people who didn't care for this movie, not that long ago, but after seeing James Rolfe defend it a little bit, I gave it another shot from a different point of view, and to my surprise I actually enjoyed it more than I ever had before. As a conclusion to the trilogy, it is kind of disappointing, but looked at as a stand-alone movie, it's pretty entertaining.

06. Prometheus- Everyone went into this movie expecting it to be a direct prequel to Alien and expecting a lot of answers. It was in fact not a true prequel and did not deliver any answers, so people hated it. Honestly, though, I didn't go in with expectations of that stuff, so I rather enjoyed the film. As for the other complaints about the characters being really stupid, some of the criticism I agree with, but there are a lot of instances where if you pay close attention to the film, some things that people complained about can actually be made clear sense of. It's one of those films that I can keep discovering new things about each time that I watch it. Personally I found it to be an interesting watch.

05. The Mummy (1999)/The Mummy Returns (2001)- A lot of people hate it because they are not actually remakes of the classic Universal Studios Mummy movies like the title implies. Other people hate them just because they use the same name as those films. And other people hate them for being cheap Indiana Jones knock-offs. Well, I can't deny any of those things, but what makes the movies work for me is that they are self-aware of their shortcomings and are clearly not taking themselves that seriously. I just find them to be silly and fun adventure flicks, myself.

04. Last Action Hero- You know, I had seen this once long ago and quite liked it. Then the Nostalgia Critic tore it apart and it became more popular than ever to hate on it, and at the time of that review I hadn't seen the movie in so long that I pretty much agreed with him. Then, not that long ago, I happened to catch the film randomly playing on some movie channel, and I gave it another shot, and for what it is, I found it to be rather entertaining. It seemed to be really self-aware of itself and clearly wasn't taking itself seriously at all, but the NC treated it like it was in his review. It's just a fun satire of classic 80's action movies, nothing more or less than that.

03. National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets- I swear, I think I'm the only person in the entire world who actually likes this movie. No, it wasn't as good as the first movie (which itself only got a modest following), but honestly it was still a really fun adventure flick in the same tone as that film. I don't quite know what everyone else was expecting, but I got just what I expected, and I was fairly satisfied with it.

02. I, Robot- I will concede this: as an adaptation, it sucks hard, and really has almost nothing to do with its source material. As a stand-alone action-scifi summer blockbuster, I think it does its job fine, and I can think of so many worse examples. Honestly I watched this movie a few times and genuinely enjoyed it each time I saw it.

01. Spider-Man 3- This should be no surprise to anyone who knows me. I get why people who didn't care for any of Raimi's Spider-Man movies hate this one. What I don't get is why people who claimed that Spider-Man 2 is one of the greatest superhero movies ever  (you know, the movie that has Peter marching to "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head") suddenly turned around and claimed that this one was too silly and ridiculous. Have those guys even payed attention to the first 2 movies at all? In terms of general tone, SM3 is really no different from the first 2 movies. The only real big criticism that I find myself agreeing with is that the movie tried to tackle too many villains at once, but aside from Venom, I thought Harry and Sandman each got some pretty decent characterization. And I especially find it ridiculous that people complain about this movie having too much going on, yet I've seen plenty of those same people give Iron Man 2 (the movie with about a thousand sub-plots going on at once) a free pass just because they like Robert Downey Jr.'s performance in it. This is one case where I have to mimick James Rolfe and question whether people fell asleep during all of the really good parts, such as the action scenes and even some of the really emotional moments, which to me at least were some of the most effective in the entire Raimi trilogy. I suppose I can get it if people were disappointed after expecting this to be a darker take on the Spider-Man mythos and instead getting something a bit more light-hearted than that (in that regard, the 2012 reboot was better), but as it stands I think it's a genuinely good superhero movie that is a lot better than what most people give it credit for.

So that's my list. There are other movies I could have mentioned, but I had to make the cut-off at 10 films. You're all free to say what you want about my opinions, but at least I had the balls to admit where I disagree with the norm. :sly:

BTW, The rankings aren't based on quality. They are instead based on how much people seem to hate these movies.

Avaitor

Even if I don't agree with what you have to say, I just love reading through your posts like this.

Not that I really disagree with much of what you said, though. Although I do tend to side with the majority who feel that Ghostbusters 2 is a bit of a retread of the first, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy plenty of it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Hmm. I actually totally agree with you on The Dark Knight Rises (though it's still the "weakest" of the three movies for me), Back to the Future 3 (and I'm not even a big fan of the franchise), National Treasure 2, The Mummy/The Mummy Returns (I didn't know people hated these), and I, Robot myself. I can't think of any other movies I like that most people hate, so I can't really make a list myself, though I could probably do one with movies with mixed reception.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on December 14, 2013, 09:24:06 PMEven if I don't agree with what you have to say, I just love reading through your posts like this.

Not that I really disagree with much of what you said, though. Although I do tend to side with the majority who feel that Ghostbusters 2 is a bit of a retread of the first, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy plenty of it.

Well, if you and others agreed with what I had to say in the first place, then that post of mine would have no point to it. ;)

Part of what I like about having opinions is that sometimes my opinions are really different from most other people, so rather than trying to convince other people to change their opinions (which is impossible), I instead state why I feel the way that I do about something. If you enjoyed reading it, then that's great, and basically the point why I even wrote that post in the first place. :thumbup:

talonmalon333

Great list, E-K! I especially like seeing Spider-Man 3 at #1. I do happen to be one of those people who loves Spider-Man 2, but I don't get how people hate 3. Whenever people list the worst superhero movies and include Spider-Man 3, it just sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I too would agree with James Rolfe when it comes to this movie. I also got connected to the whole Peter Parker and Mary Jane thing. Alongside Superman and Lois Lane from the two Superman films staring Reeves, it might be my favorite pairing in any superhero film franchise.

But I actually would've expected to see you list the first Hobbit film over The Dark Knight Rises, as that seems to have gotten a more negative response.

gunswordfist

I didn't even know Back To The Future Part III and Home Alone 2 were hated. I've only seen BTTFPIII once a few years ago and liked it and I LOVE Home Alone 2. I was just thinking about that movie. It was either that or the first one (I believe I watched both there) in high school that I was laughing at it like an idiot and the girls sitting next to me gave me a funny look. :D Those are my favorite live action family movies. So I am especially surprised at people not loving HA2.

Just like a day or two ago, i was thinking about how the writer at kungfucinema randomly called Last Action Hero trash (someone had a poster of the movie on their wall in an article). That movie will always be too fun.

The Mummy movies are still my "least favorite" favorite movies. I like them and I believe I saw both at the theaters (with my family of course, I was a kid).

Spider-Man 3 is still trash. Dark Peter Parker is awful and stupid, his relationship with Mary becomes more grating than ever, making Sand Man the bad guy we are supposed to feel sorry for was laughing and badly written, Topher grace puts on a terrible performance as Venom and the only thing I liked about the movie is the Hobgoblin.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 15, 2013, 12:08:31 PMBut I actually would've expected to see you list the first Hobbit film over The Dark Knight Rises, as that seems to have gotten a more negative response.

I could've gone with either one for that spot, but I've seen more mixed opinions on The Hobbit than downright negative ones. Meanwhile, I've seen more people turn on The Dark Knight Rises over time.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't even like Last Action Hero, but I do agree that it gets hated on a surprising amount. Though, the fans who claim it's a "classic" that people "didn't get" annoy me more.

I also like Spider-Man 3, BTTF3, and Ghostbusters 2 among the others, and don't quite understand why they're considered trash.

I'll also go out on a limb that I find Temple Of Doom is an awesome B-movie. It's always been popular to hate on it, but being that it was never intended to be like ROTLA, I can't bring myself to hate it as much as them. It's silly and brainless, and I think it succeeds at that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 16, 2013, 06:46:01 PMI don't even like Last Action Hero, but I do agree that it gets hated on a surprising amount. Though, the fans who claim it's a "classic" that people "didn't get" annoy me more.

I didn't even know that this movie had fans. :huh:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 16, 2013, 07:01:53 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 16, 2013, 06:46:01 PMI don't even like Last Action Hero, but I do agree that it gets hated on a surprising amount. Though, the fans who claim it's a "classic" that people "didn't get" annoy me more.

I didn't even know that this movie had fans. :huh:
They really came out of the woodwork after the Nostalgia Critic reviewed it.

I get liking it, but a classic? Really?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I definitely wouldn't call it a classic, but I'll never really understand the hate that it gets, either.

talonmalon333

So I've begun to develop an unpopular opinion on the ending of The Dark Knight Rises.

Spoiler

I no longer hate the Talia twist at the end. Okay, so it's not a good twist. I guess I would call it a bad twist. A much better "true villain" twist is Professor Quirrell being the villain over Snape. But at the same time... they don't actually make Bane out to be her pet. He's her protector and lover. She's the big boss, but I don't doubt for a moment that Bane wasn't just a genius and a plotter. I'd say they were in it together.

Yeah, it's not executed well, and I think the movie would've maybe been better off without it. But for me, it's become less of a major issue and more of a minor issue, borderline something that I am simply indifferent to... Course, it does result in a terrible death for Bane, which is the worst part of the twist.
[close]