Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Movies

Started by GregX, February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

I considered making my own list of movies I like that others don't, but I couldn't decide on a top 10, and some of my picks would be the same as E-K's. So I'm just going to take this moment to say that I think Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is a legitimately good movie. It's not just like Attack of the Clones where its entertainment comes out of shallow action. I actually like the story in it. I'd say that's because it has the Emperor being the Emperor (who completely steals the show), and it leads into the original trilogy, having the most to do with it. Of course it's far from great, and if you analyze the story, you see that it probably doesn't quite add up. But I just think it was entertaining especially in how dark it gets which, like most good things in the movie, can be attributed back to the Emperor.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 23, 2013, 06:47:44 PM
So I'm just going to take this moment to say that I think Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is a legitimately good movie. It's not just like Attack of the Clones where its entertainment comes out of shallow action. I actually like the story in it. I'd say that's because it has the Emperor being the Emperor (who completely steals the show), and it leads into the original trilogy, having the most to do with it. Of course it's far from great, and if you analyze the story, you see that it probably doesn't quite add up. But I just think it was entertaining especially in how dark it gets which, like most good things in the movie, can be attributed back to the Emperor.
I kind of agree with this. I've always thought RotS is the least terriable of the prequal trilogy. It also happens to be the only part of said trilogy I own.

talonmalon333

Quote from: The Shadow Gentleman on December 23, 2013, 08:52:43 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on December 23, 2013, 06:47:44 PM
So I'm just going to take this moment to say that I think Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is a legitimately good movie. It's not just like Attack of the Clones where its entertainment comes out of shallow action. I actually like the story in it. I'd say that's because it has the Emperor being the Emperor (who completely steals the show), and it leads into the original trilogy, having the most to do with it. Of course it's far from great, and if you analyze the story, you see that it probably doesn't quite add up. But I just think it was entertaining especially in how dark it gets which, like most good things in the movie, can be attributed back to the Emperor.
I kind of agree with this. I've always thought RotS is the least terriable of the prequal trilogy. It also happens to be the only part of said trilogy I own.

I also think that Christenseen (whatever his name is, the kid who plays Anakin). Isn't a terrible actor, not the way most believe. I mean, he's definitely awkward. But I suspect the main problem is that he just has nothing to go off of due to Lucas' bad directions. If the prequels had the director of Empire Strikes Back, I think the kid could've evolved. In footage of them preparing, that's just the feeling I get. It seems like Lucas is talking at him, but isn't making any sense. I know for sure that Natalie Portman is a very good actress, but she's simply not at her best here, even though Padme is honestly one of the better characters in the prequels... If there's one thing I can give to Lucas, it's that. He's good at writing his leading ladies (Leia, Marion, etc.). Apparently, in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, he was originally wanted Indiana Jones to have a daughter instead of a son. Makes sense for Lucas.

Avaitor

Is it an unpopular opinion to say that Sling Blade is a better movie than Forrest Gump?

Because it is.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I thought Sling Blade was boring as sin, personally.

It's actually quite popular to hate on TH these days, and a good amount of that hate comes from the Oscars snubbing Puip Fiction that year. Personally, I think Pulp Fiction is overrated, so I can't say that I can identify with that sentiment.

Avaitor

Yes, yes, we all know your opinion on the Best Picture race of 1994. :P

I don't think Forrest Gump is a bad movie, but I also think it's far from the perfect film you do. Sling Blade isn't perfect either, but Billy Bob Thornton's performance is way stronger and less offensive than Tom Hanks' is, personally.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't think  that any film is perfect, for the record. As for the performances, I don't find Tom Hanks to be offensive. I get that it's not a realistic portrayal of people with mental retardation, but neither was Thornton's. And for what it's worth, I also liked the acting in Sling Blade just fine. Like I said, though, watching the movie itself just felt like a chore to me, personally.

Avaitor

That's fair, I'm just really opinionated tonight.

Like how I still think that Mads Mikkelsen is a better Hannibal than Anthony Hopkins.

I need a drink.

New blog!

No-Personality

I haven't seen a new Tom Hanks movie in a very long time. Which... after awhile, does turn into Old Tom Hanks' movies- doesn't it? I was pretty much done with him after You've Got Mail. That is, if the combination of Philadelphia and Gump didn't do that first.

Pulp Fiction isn't perfect. But I think it's pretty clear to most discerning film lovers that it's easily superior to the film which won Best Picture. Though, not sure how anyone could be angry about the snub. This was So not the movie that was taking home the BP Oscar that year.

I still say Serial Mom should have won. Or have been nominated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQwWaWFjd0Y
(That guy just has to be the lead in 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag.)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Yeah, Pulp Fiction wasn't a very likely BP winner, since the Academy wasn't ready for an independent movie to take the big one home yet. Nowadays that isn't as much of an issue, but Oscar's MO has always been to give Hollywood a pat on the back.

But I think /I'll take the chance to say here that Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction would have both been more deserving winners than Shawshank Redemption. I just... don't like that movie.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I did like Shawshank, but I just never felt like it was the cinematic masterpiece that people claim it to be.

And as for The Oscars, it's a well-known fact that they have long been biased toward Hollywood, and at that they are very conservative with their nominations and awards. Hell, the only reason we got stuff like awards for sound-mixing and editing were so that they could give people the illusion that they were being fair and impartial by having these other categories that movies that didn't fit their typical MO could be nominated for.

It's not so much about what films are the best, anymore. It's about what best fits their image of a good film. But, I take it all with a grain of salt. I haven't taken The Academy Awards that seriously in quite a while.

Spark Of Spirit

I still scratch my head over Shakespeare In Love.

By all accounts it's average, and yet... it wins best picture. I just don't see it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

If an American film doesn't win BP, it usually goes to a British film. I think The Artist is the first French film to win Best Picture, but even that has its very few lines of dialogue in English.

But yeah, we'll never see a foreign language film win the big one.

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on March 30, 2014, 01:04:33 PMYeah, Pulp Fiction wasn't a very likely BP winner, since the Academy wasn't ready for an independent movie to take the big one home yet. Nowadays that isn't as much of an issue, but Oscar's MO has always been to give Hollywood a pat on the back.

But I think /I'll take the chance to say here that Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction would have both been more deserving winners than Shawshank Redemption. I just... don't like that movie.
Goddamn it, I forgot about Shawshank. A love letter to being in prison... how could that ever go wrong?   ::)

I'm telling you- if you've never seen Serial Mom, do. Rent, buy, you'll thank me someday. See it and tell me it's not better than Pulp Fiction. I dare ya. Especially if you didn't like Scream. (They're both black comedy cultural satires with a focus on popular attitudes of what causes violence, etc., in people who consume media and the whole serial killer fame obsession of the 90's.)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Insomniac

I saw it once in film class. It's not better than Pulp Fiction. Even the professor was apologetic about showing it.