Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Movies

Started by GregX, February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No-Personality

Hey, I love Pulp Fiction. It's very entertaining. And this is coming from someone who has to object on some level to the entire subplot of Bruce Willis's near 50% of the film where he has to go back for the watch to then pick up a great motorcycle. It doesn't have to be particularly offensive to be somewhat unnecessary and/or wrong on some fundamental level.

But Serial Mom actually is exactly what it should be. I think Pulp isolates quite a few people from loving it, and from different backgrounds for different reasons. Serial Mom tests people for being uptight, yet actually has A Wealth of deeper meaning. On some level, it's not a Philosophy Bro Wankfest. Which isn't even the ultimate qualification for Pulp being great but it is why it is held up as such an Unimpeachable Classic. I know a lot of the fans claim it's about something deeper... it isn't. John Waters spent 2 decades making underground subversive films only to break through to the mainstream... then gut it like a fish. (Damn you, Scream- when will you cease to be brilliant?)

And, the ultimate reason Serial Mom is better than Pulp Fiction is because Jackie Brown is probably Tarantino's best film anyway. You just can't compare the spectatorship of the former to the passionate empathy of the latter. A lot of people were critical of Tarantino as a person, claiming he was immature, gimmicky, etc. Jackie is proof positive just how smart he is and how much he cares about film. In fact, it's probably a better film than every last thing it takes influence from. Which I wouldn't be willing to say about Pulp. Just that it's a dynamic film which was marginally better at setting the tone for what the 90's was than Clerks, and a lot better (at doing the same) than Slacker. Anyone else think that one's overrated? I personally think Gregg Araki's The Living End is better than Pulp Fiction (because life and death are much more immediate throughout) but it Is better than Slacker.

Some people might not get Serial Mom but you get what it's about. You can't deny it really hit a goldmine of social commentary. And it approaches it from the perspective of the audience. Again, being consistent media consumers. The characters in the film with loud mouths are not just horror fans. And everyone can relate to every kind of person we see in the film. For perspective on that, I remember the early 90's quite well. It doesn't talk down to teenagers.  It doesn't have the same agenda as Natural Born Killers but it's so perfect. Hell, even if it's just a pot Waters threw things into, it's still a sharp and clever take on the American Family of the 90's vs. Society. And it was hilarious.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Spark Of Spirit

I guess I'm the only one here who likes Shawshank. But I do. It's not an easy watch, but I do like it even if its been referenced way too many times to count.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I said I liked it. Just don't think it's a masterpiece is all.

No-Personality

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 30, 2014, 06:26:24 PMI guess I'm the only one here who likes Shawshank. But I do. It's not an easy watch, but I do like it even if its been referenced way too many times to count.
I need to see it again. For some reason, the last time I did, my brain was apparently doing that Homer thing, where he sings instead of pays attention, while Every Last Implication of rape was being made. But, the Very first scene really sticks in my craw. Again, I don't remember the details but I definitely remember that there were a lot of details that were problematic in Tim Robbins' whole court case. Unless, again, I missed something- like: was their corruption involved? Evidence planted? That sort of thing. That's the only way to explain the holes in that scene.
and I love it.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on March 30, 2014, 09:15:11 PM
Well Serial Mom is on my queue.
It sucks though. My professor literally stopped the class for a few minutes to apologize for showing that movie, calling it a turd in John Waters' career and assuring us that none of the movies in the semester will be like that.

No-Personality

and I love it.

gunswordfist

I saw a little bit of serial mom a few years ago and i liked what i saw.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

dawn of the dead remake's group of survivors is way better than the walking dead tv. of course the walking dead comics' group blows them both out of the water though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I know that this is certainly an unpopular opinion, which is why I'm posting it here.

I love both Avengers movies. Neither are perfect, but they are both super fun if you don't spend your time nit-picking the hell out of them. That said, I still feel that X2 and DOFP are superior ensemble superhero team films, personally.

Of course, Avengers has them beat in the action department, and they are on equal ground when it comes to their casts/acting, but I feel that those two X-Men films have stronger stories and character development, personally.

As for the original X-Men and First Class, they are a step below, but still great, IMO. And yes, GOTG is at least on par with if not a bit superior to the Avengers films, IMO. And once again, I say this as someone who genuinely loved both of the Avengers movies.

Avaitor

Days of Future Past was great, but I have to be honest and say that I can't remember a single thing about its Quicksilver.

That's all I really have to add, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be fair he only had two scenes in that entire film and was not at all central to the main plot. I do think that the way that they showed how his powers work was superior to AoU's portrayal, but other than that we never got to learn much about his character as opposed to AoU where he was a major character throughout the film, so that comparison is a bit unfair, IMO.

Avaitor

I only bring it up since I'm seeing people consider DOFP's Quicksilver superior, but it's all a blur to me. Evan Peters just doesn't really do it for me as an actor though, which is a big part of why I dropped American Horror Story.

Well my unpopular opinion is that I prefer X2 to DOFP. Probably since I prefer its source material, and I don't care too much about Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique. They're both easily the best X-Men films, though.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still don't think that it's quite fair to judge his ability to play Quicksilver in just one or two scenes. If he has a bigger role in the next film, then that would be much more material to go on. Otherwise, he was fun in DOFP for whatever little screen time that he had to work with.

Anyways, I love both films, but I slightly prefer DOFP due to better pacing and a lack of a crappy romance sub-plot (probably my only gripe with X2).

gunswordfist

This thread still reminds me that I'm somehow still pretty behind on superhero movies. I'm going to watch The Wolverine today to catch up a bit on X-Men movies.