Fighting Games

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, July 06, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grave

I've been watching some high level play of Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike. 1st I owe Ensatsu-Ken an apology. I think it was in either the Most Anticipated Games or Next Gen thread where we were talking about balance. As far as I can tell, even though it's been established by the community that Chun Li and Yun are the S class characters, outside of maybe 2 (Q and Hugo) it looks like everyone is viable. I never really had an appreciation of 3rd Strike until now.

Don't get me wrong Evo Moment #37 will always be the greatest clip in terms of fighting games, but I never clicked with the game. Back then I was into the Marvel vs games, not to mention that outside of Ken and Ryu, I didn't care for the roster at the time either (with the release of SSF4, I've grown to like the twins along with Ibuki and Makoto). Now that I'm getting into just pure skill I'm having more of an appreciation for 3rd Strike. To be able to just expose people due to pure skill instead of being able to mash your way outta stuff or relying on a comeback factor (Not taking anything away from SSF4, but Ultra's... yeah. I love em though :)).  You don't have to worry about trying to remember ridiculously long combos, and mashers are actually forced to use defense. You get punished hard, and you understand why you got punished.

Next to Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition, 3rd Strike might be my next favorite fighting game.

Grave

So Cashcom strikes again with their another update to the Street Fighter 4 games.

Cashcom

While it don't surprise me that they're putting a price on this, and no doubt I'll be getting this simply for the character tweaks, but it is tiring getting so many releases of the same game with tweaks that cost when this can easily be a free patch.

Not thrilled about the additional characters either, although I am curious about this new character.

Edit:

I take it back. You're still cashcom, but I'm pretty amped for the new iteration. Just finished watching the EVO demo. They're saying tons of new content.

gunswordfist

Ugh, I thought having Arcade Edition would be enough. Anyway I want to learn how to use Dee Jay and Makoto.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Grave

Considering that when it comes to Street Fighter, Capcom doesn't cater to the casual fans. This update is more for those who go to tournaments or play seriously. Like I said, I'm more interested in the character tweaks and additional content.

Dee Jay or Makoto... Don't let me steer you away from your characters of choice, but Makoto has a pretty steep learning curve, but I say go for it. When you get her down, she's a lot of fun (not that I would know, but I like watching good Makoto's go to work). I know absolutely nothing about Dee Jay. I also tend to skip over his matches unless he's involved against a character I'm trying to learn (which at the moment is Yun, Ken, and possibly Yang)

gunswordfist

I want to try to play as Dee Jay after I saw someone use him to clown Sagat. Makoto because fast equals cool lol

Grave

Fast equals cool eh.

Lets see. Yun, Yang, Fei Long, Guy, Ibuki, Makoto, Cammy, El Fuerte (HELL NO), Chun Li, Juri and Sakura.

Agreed.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Makoto is a great character once mastered, I'm sure, but she just doesn't fit my play-style at all. A lot of her attacks have a shorter range than most characters, and I find it hard to initiate combos with her.

I've been getting really found of Chun-Li, myself. I find her to have a nice balance between a good range in her general attacks in addition to having a fair amount of speed on her side. She's the only charge character who I can play somewhat competently with, so far. As for every other character, I mainly only stick with the "relatively" easy-to-use ones like Ryu, Ken, Cammy, Yun, Guy, and so on. I still don't have a favorite character yet, though.

Grave

Yeah, as I was telling gunswordfist, Makoto is not an easy character to use. She's an inyoface character and you have to master her forward/back dash (this plus her strength is why I fear fighting against her. 7 friggin hits can possibly be the end of any character with health below 1000, not to mention she causes a lot of stun. Cammy can kill you with 2 combos so I'm scared of her too).

I'm also going through a crisis at the moment, but I kinda have it narrowed to those 3, but who knows how long that'll stick.

gunswordfist

Ken is my main, while I am using Sakura more. I need to get better with Cammy. I am awful with her

GaryPotter

Am I the only person who absolutely HATES Tekken 6?

Foggle

Quote from: GaryPotter on July 15, 2013, 11:24:00 PM
It's by far my least favorite in the series, and I'm a pretty big Tekken fan.

Rynnec

Quote from: GaryPotter on July 15, 2013, 11:24:00 PM

It didn't really do much for me for the short time I had it.

Grave

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 15, 2013, 08:19:18 PM
Ken is my main, while I am using Sakura more. I need to get better with Cammy. I am awful with her

Everybody knows how to use Cammy. She is that much of a brain dead character. All you need is Cr. LP > Cr. LP > Cr. MP > Spiral Arrow.

As for Tekken 6. Never played it. Tekken 5 was the last Tekken that I played, and I hated that one. I've been debating on whether I should pick up Tekken Tag Tournament, though, but the only reason I would get that is for the customization.

Foggle

TTT2 is amazing. First truly excellent Tekken since 3 (and the original Tag) IMO.

Grave

I'm curious, those who're playing Street Fighter 4, what console are you playing it on? I have it on both the 360 and the PS3, and wouldn't mind doing an endless lobby some day.