Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

I'm still a fan of the series and am going to get Rogue, but this series really does need a swift kick in the ass. This Unity thing has been fucking atrocious. But we may as well have some fun with it. Have some great pictures and a hilarious review.

Spoiler

[close]

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Il Juude

Yeah, what AC: U brings to light is perhaps the potential overreliance on update patches and what have you. I mean suuuure you can try and complete a game on time with as little bugs as possible, or you can just release it beta and be all like "Well we'll just fix it later, we'll just make an update patch later".

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, Halo: The Master Chief Collection just came out this week and while I myself was interested in the prospect of finally getting to play Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2's multiplayer modes online on a console, the general consensus is that the MP suites are downright broken and unplayable for many people, whereas for those who are lucky enough to get it to work, they still have to wait upwards of 10-15 minutes to find a match on many occasions. And mind you, Halo 2 came out 10 years ago on significantly weaker hardware and never had any of these problems. Even people who do get into matches have reported that it has crashed on them numerous times.

Now, for the record, the campaign modes have been reported to run smoothly, and for the first time on consoles, all games run at 60 FPS, which to me is a prospect so exciting that I would easily snag a copy of the game just for that, if I actually owned an XBOX ONE. Still, to see so many reviewers only focus on that aspect and excuse the nearly non-functional MP with so many high scores is atrocious. IGN gave the game a fucking 9/10, yet the reviewer clearly admitted that the MP was in a horrible state at launch. I'm not saying to bash the collection or anything, but at least be honest about its problems with the review score and recommend it only to people who are interested in the campaign modes and not the MP or online functionality in general.

This massive journalism bias has caused Halo to get so many haters over the years for a good reason. In truth it is a very good FPS series, but the fact that reviewers have always given it far more praise than it deserves, outside of the original which actually did deserve all of its praise, makes me kind of see where all of the haters are coming from. It's rather annoying to see this series always get away with it's faults, even if I am a fan of it to some degree.

Nel_Annette

Sonic Boom, AC Unity, Halo... hasn't been a real fun week in gaming besides the Mario Kart dlc.  :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As for ACU, I have heard that the XBOX ONE version doesn't have quite as many technical problems as the PS4 and PC versions from some reviewers and gamers, but I have no idea if that's really true or not. Either way, even that version is still considered to be quite buggy, so it's still a colossal fuck-up on Ubisoft's part.

gunswordfist

dammit, i've been thinking of ac as an ea title for some reason. ubisoft needs to get it together. they have too many good games for me to hate them.

Nel_Annette

Yeah, after Watch_Dogs and AC:U, I'm thinking they really need to hit it out of the park with Far Cry 4. If that's a trainwreck too, that's going to be a "strike three" for a lot of people.

gunswordfist

If it's the same team that was behind blood dragon, then i wouldn't worry.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 15, 2014, 06:08:25 PM
If it's the same team that was behind blood dragon, then i wouldn't worry.
I think every Far Cry has been made by the same internal team since Instincts, though I'm not sure. In any case, FC4 seems to be getting really positive reception so far, and it didn't have an until-release-date review embargo, so it seems to be the horse Ubisoft bet most of their money on this year.

gunswordfist

that would be awesome if it's the same team. the only game of there's i didn't like was far cry 2. i only played 3's co-op but it was decent.

Foggle

I never played much of Far Cry 3 either (I want to pick it up soon), but Blood Dragon and Instincts are some of the most underrated games I've ever played. I do like FC2 as well, but it has a lot of problems that keep me from calling it great. I'm not a big fan of the original Far Cry, though.

gunswordfist

you mean the original pc version? i played the two games far cry instincts predator had. how are they different from the pc version?

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 16, 2014, 07:47:04 PM
you mean the original pc version?
Yeah. Instincts uses the original Far Cry as a basis, but it's almost entirely different in terms of level design, game mechanics, and story presentation IIRC. While this isn't a particularly popular opinion, I think Instincts was the better game by far.

gunswordfist

i heard the pc version had some cheaply made scifi enemies at the end and years ago i remember someone dogging the game for that.