Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

gunswordfist

Can't wait until the UFC buys that fucking channel.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Hey look, it's that woman who hated Super Mario Galaxy 2 because it was "childish" and wasn't 3D enough!

Idiots.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Speaking of "childish", we were playing DKCR in the shop on my ship earlier today, specifically one of those hidden temple things you get after getting all the KONG letters, and one of the other guys was there calling it kid stuff and crap like that.  So we told him, despite the cartoony look, that the game is a bitch, and handed him the wii mote to see what he could do.  He played it for about ten minutes, and in all that time, he couldn't even make it through a quarter of the stage.

I don't think his opinion has changed, but it did shut him up for a bit.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

Gamers today are so close-minded; not all, obviously, but a fair many. I hear this "childish" garbage about Wii platformers all the time (someone called Kirby Wii a kiddy game the other day, and I came this close to telling the guy to shut the fuck up), and it irritates the hell out of me.

Just because you aren't wielding an arsenal of machine guns and blowing shit up every few seconds doesn't make a game childish. Christ, I cannot stand this mentality.

Rynnec

There was this kid in my highschool who was two years my junior, who had that exact same "Wii and Nintendo's for little kids" mentality and said that he spoke for everyone when he said it. I told him off and said that I'd rather play Super Mario Galaxy 2 rather than something like Gears of War. Kid just uttered a condescending "wow".

Fucking kids. Wouldn't know a good game if it bit'em in the ass.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=159042

They really need to cut this shit out. This is akin to saying why am I going to buy a mattress to sleep on when a chair allows me to sleep, scratch my balls, use my laptop, and play vidya comfortably.

Foggle

Quote from: Kiddington on August 15, 2011, 09:10:21 PM
Gamers today are so close-minded; not all, obviously, but a fair many. I hear this "childish" garbage about Wii platformers all the time (someone called Kirby Wii a kiddy game the other day, and I came this close to telling the guy to shut the fuck up), and it irritates the hell out of me.

Just because you aren't wielding an arsenal of machine guns and blowing shit up every few seconds doesn't make a game childish. Christ, I cannot stand this mentality.
To be fair, the recent Kirby games have had a rather childish aesthetic (Crystal Shards and Epic Yarn, anyway; haven't seen much from the new one). But yeah, I can't stand that shit, especially when it's in reference to something like Mario or Donkey Kong.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I myself have always been a pretty open-minded gamer. That is to say that I'm the type of guy who can enjoy something like Halo or Gears of War while I also get a shit-ton of fun out of my favorite Mario platformers or Mega Man games and the like. I've pretty much grown desensitized to the stupidly close-minded opinions of most gamers these days (and that goes both ways, for those who think anything related to Nintendo is "kiddy" as well as those who think anything anything that's an FPS or TPS game is only played by brainless jocks).

I must admit though that it does still tick me off that great platformers that are FAR more creative than generic popular shooters get so little respect among most modern gamers. At the same time, Mario games are still selling extremely well and its not like Nintendo is in a bad financial spot at all with their platformers, so as long as they keep making great games like that I couldn't care less what a bunch of idiots who don't really know anything about gaming (even though they think they do because they happen to be OK at CoD or some shit like that) have to say about them.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 15, 2011, 09:38:23 PM
as well as those who think anything anything that's an FPS or TPS game is only played by brainless jocks).
While I've done my fair share of CoD-hating in the past, I must say that the "My favorite obscure Japanese game sold like shit? GODDAMN YOU CAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL OOOOOOOOFFFFFFFF DUUUUUUUUUUTYYYYYYYYY!!!!" crowd really pisses me off.

Angus

Kids will fight
Quote from: Kiddington on August 15, 2011, 09:10:21 PM

Kirby Epic Yarn causes more real fights among my pups than Super Smash Brothers. It's only kiddy in that it doesn't offend, and that you can "complete" a level by just wandering through it, but to complete it with any sort of score above zero requires some skill.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

It only bothers me when the FPS crowd shits on everything not all dude-bro'd up. For instance, I don't really like strategy games or racers, but I don't think people who like them are stupid or something.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is one of the best games of all time, if you can't even recognize it as anything but "kiddy" then you're missing the point of gaming altogether.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I think the ones that I dislike most are the sports gamers, you know the guys who buy every iteration of all the Maddens and the NCAA games and whatnot.  I had a roommate that was one of those guys, and he'd chastise me for playing my Nintendo("I played those games when I was like 7").  The thing I noticed though is those guys aren't really even that good at those games; he had his buddies come over on occasion, and one of them I talked to a lot because he noticed that I played Nintendo too and you could tell he was interested, and then he'd sit down and play my roommate at Madden and beat his ass into the ground.  I figured though that he was a true gamer, someone who played something besides Madden all the time.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

Hah! That's pretty much my dad you're talking about.

He's that kinda guy; hates almost every and all types of video games, except sports games. We own pretty much every re-hash of Madden and NHL Hockey to come out within the last 15 years thanks to him. It's funny, too; he's the only one in the family who plays these games, and yet he's absolutely terrible at them (any time I play him, he doesn't stand a chance... and I barely have any experience with these games outside of playing against him).

I watch sports as a fan and all, but I cannot stand sports sims; they bore me to tears. And there are far too many people in the world like him that continue to buy these things, even if the quote unquote "new features" are only incrementally better than the previous years installment. So yeah, I agree; sports gamers = facepalm.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be honest, I actually kind of like some of the over-the-top, unrealistic sports games, like Mario Tennis, NBA Street, and Sega Soccer Slam. Those are pretty fun games that are more like actual games than just sports sims, as they are more cartoony and aren't hell-bent on trying to be realistic, and just have fun game mechanics, in general. I can't for the life of me, though, get into the yearly sports sims.

I can understand if people like those sorts of games, and I'm not saying that they don't require skill to play, but I can't understand how people can by every itteration that comes out each year. My older brother is one of those people who plays almost only sports games exclusively (other than those he only plays JRPGs from time to time, and also played most the 3D Ninja Gaiden games, which even he can't deny are awesome). Whenever I bring up that these games hardly ever change over the years, he gets into a heated debate with me about how the game mechanics and technicalities and nuances are completely different, so I guess it has that sort of technical multiplayer appeal for people who are really into it, but to me its all the same shit for the most part.

Like I said, I can understand if people like those sorts of games, but I just won't ever be able to understand why they feel the need to re-buy what's essentially the same exact game with some minor tweaks each year. I simply just don't get it.