Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on September 07, 2011, 02:39:32 PM
The SNES (and by extension the Classic Controllers) had a great controller, as did the Genesis and the Saturn. Comfy button set up and great d-pad. The N64 and Dreamcast are weird, but you get used to them... but the Playstation controller has never felt all that good to me, especially that awful d-pad they keep using.
I love the PlayStation 2 controller, it's my favorite. :) The PS1 controller sucked until it got thumbsticks, though, and the PS3 one is nowhere near as good as the PS2's simply because it turned the L2 and R2 buttons into shitty triggers that just feel wrong.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh yeah, what is the deal with the triggers? The first time I picked up a PS3 controller and tried those, they felt very flimsy. If you're gonna do triggers, make them solid like on the 360 and Classic Controller.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

My favorite overall is the PS2 controller. I hate how filmsy it felt though. For grip, the small Xbox controller and 360 are my favorites but grip isn't that important because it's not like I'm going to drop the shit and I don't pay it much attention once I get lost in the game. 360 would be the best but the D-Pad sucks a little bit too much. Also, the small Xbox controller would be too if it weren't for the black and white button placement. It's like having an extra start and select button on the side which isn't good for on the fly gameplay.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rosalinas Spare Wand

So I was at school today reading my Biology book in the lounge, and I was also watching this guy play Black Ops multiplayer online. Now the dude seemed to have a decent grasp on cover tactics and scouting, but he didn't have a clue how to approach the enemy. He spotted one guy inside a factory, and he tried to rush up the stores and knife him...and he got shot. He respawned a couple seconds later and saw the dude in the same place, so this time he tried to throw a grenade...and he got shot. Once again, he respawned and attempted to rush in with an assault rifle blasting everything in site...and he got shot. The dude got frustrated and gave up trying to get this guy, calling him a "fucking camping cheater".

Now I don't mean to generalize a whole group of players, but if people like him think somebody actually taking precise aim and retreating to safety is cheating, then what does that say about the modern shooters community?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

People just say a bunch of shit in the heat of the moment when they are frustrated with a game, whether it be single-player or multiplayer. Its the same reason why so many people are so quick to call games like Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry cheap when they die a lot in them, despite the fact that both can have their difficult overcome by skilled players who practice with the games and learn the ropes of their mechanics.

In multiplayer games its easy to get pissed off at someone else even when you know that you lose because its your own fault. I'm not a big multiplayer guy but I do understand that feeling, because sometimes when I'm playing Halo or some fighting game or something of the sort with my friends, I may get frustrated a few times (even if I'm playing casually that stuff just happens sometimes) when I feel like a strategy I'm using should be working but I still end up losing, but I'm usually over it in just a few moments (the same applies to my friends, sometimes, as well).

At any rate, its not really feasible to generalize a whole community of players just based on one or a few guys who act immature at losing at a multiplayer game. I'm sure there are a lot of people with bad attitudes in the multiplayer gaming community, but there are also a lot of respectable people out there as well. Even though I'm not into the whole MP scene, a lot of people I know are, including some of my closest friends, and they are usually pretty easy-going people who don't show any obnoxious attitudes most of the time, even when playing games (whether they're winning or losing).

Spark Of Spirit

I actually went over to my friend's place and we played Black Ops online split screen. It's pretty hard, but not once did I blame anybody but me for dying. It's simply a matter of who shoots first most of the time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

A surpisngly well done article on the difference of tastes between Japanese and Western gamers

Wasn't sure if I wanted to make this a new topic or not, since it seems to fit here pretty well.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I was kind of excited about getting a chance to play RE4 since it was made available on XBLA and PSN. The problem is that even if the game is great, I kind of want to resist getting it only on the principal that I really don't feel like supporting Capcom (even if my purchase is insignificant in the grand scheme of things, I just feel wrong contributing to them).

I mean, here's my problem: while I'm sure I could download the remake and have fun with the game being that I've never played it before and don't have any other consoles to own it on (if I had a choice I'd go with the Wii version since I heard that one was by far the definitive version of the game), I just can't help but be ticked off at the fact that this is just a cheap cash-in by Capcom. I mean, think about it for a moment: Capcom could have used this as an opportunity to add new features to the game or do something to make it more than just a port. I know its already crammed with content, but that would only mean that the small amount of effort it would take to put in even a little more stuff would make it that much more tempting for people to buy. As it stands there is nothing new so there is no reason for anyone who already owns the game to buy it, so that only leaves the few people such as myself who don't own the game and have never played it before.

I also just can't get over how damn lazy Capcom was with this port. Here's the thing: This is supposed to be an HD port. At the very least, other HD ports/remakes will update their visuals in terms of textures and lighting and also remaster the sound to make the game at least look, sound, and feel like brand new. Capcom wasn't even willing to do this much, which is the bare minimum to even calling something HD. The title says RE4 "HD" yet its not HD at all. Capcom didn't do anything with the textures or the lighting in the slightest. Literally all they did was to rescale the game to fit in a wide-screen format. That's it.

Hell, they didn't even try to make sure that the port ran perfectly well. Did you know that various review sites have reported that the game occasionally had slow-down in the middle of the action, despite running on current-gen consoles and despite the fact that this slow-down wasn't even present in any of the previous versions of the game?

Truly it still amazes me how lazy this company has become. I mean, wow....they REALLY don't give a fuck about anything anymore aside from making some quick cash, do they? Its pretty saddening considering that in their prime Capcom was once considered to be one of best video game companies of all time, if not the best. Their name was practically synonymous with quality. Looking at them now, they have fallen so far that its just downright pathetic, and honestly quite sad. I know that there are about a million other things that I could be harping on them for, but this latest bit really just got on my nerves since this was a game that I was actually interested in getting. And to be fair, under normal circumstances I would STILL get it just to experience it, but Capcom pisses me off so much that I just don't feel that its worth it giving them my money, even if its just $20 in price.

Spark Of Spirit

I didn't know that. Wow, that's pretty lame.

I still have yet to play RE4, but I think I'll just grab the Wii version used when I feel the need. Capcom can't seem to do anything right anymore.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, to be honest I kind of wish that there was retail version of the game for the XBOX360 so that I could buy it used. I do still really want to play it, but there's no way that a Capcom game is directly getting my money anymore, or at least not until that company seriously shapes up, which is doubtful to ever happen anytime soon, or ever at all for that matter.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 20, 2011, 10:02:14 PM
So, I was kind of excited about getting a chance to play RE4 since it was made available on XBLA and PSN. The problem is that even if the game is great, I kind of want to resist getting it only on the principal that I really don't feel like supporting Capcom (even if my purchase is insignificant in the grand scheme of things, I just feel wrong contributing to them).

I mean, here's my problem: while I'm sure I could download the remake and have fun with the game being that I've never played it before and don't have any other consoles to own it on (if I had a choice I'd go with the Wii version since I heard that one was by far the definitive version of the game), I just can't help but be ticked off at the fact that this is just a cheap cash-in by Capcom. I mean, think about it for a moment: Capcom could have used this as an opportunity to add new features to the game or do something to make it more than just a port. I know its already crammed with content, but that would only mean that the small amount of effort it would take to put in even a little more stuff would make it that much more tempting for people to buy. As it stands there is nothing new so there is no reason for anyone who already owns the game to buy it, so that only leaves the few people such as myself who don't own the game and have never played it before.

I also just can't get over how damn lazy Capcom was with this port. Here's the thing: This is supposed to be an HD port. At the very least, other HD ports/remakes will update their visuals in terms of textures and lighting and also remaster the sound to make the game at least look, sound, and feel like brand new. Capcom wasn't even willing to do this much, which is the bare minimum to even calling something HD. The title says RE4 "HD" yet its not HD at all. Capcom didn't do anything with the textures or the lighting in the slightest. Literally all they did was to rescale the game to fit in a wide-screen format. That's it.

Hell, they didn't even try to make sure that the port ran perfectly well. Did you know that various review sites have reported that the game occasionally had slow-down in the middle of the action, despite running on current-gen consoles and despite the fact that this slow-down wasn't even present in any of the previous versions of the game?

Truly it still amazes me how lazy this company has become. I mean, wow....they REALLY don't give a fuck about anything anymore aside from making some quick cash, do they? Its pretty saddening considering that in their prime Capcom was once considered to be one of best video game companies of all time, if not the best. Their name was practically synonymous with quality. Looking at them now, they have fallen so far that its just downright pathetic, and honestly quite sad. I know that there are about a million other things that I could be harping on them for, but this latest bit really just got on my nerves since this was a game that I was actually interested in getting. And to be fair, under normal circumstances I would STILL get it just to experience it, but Capcom pisses me off so much that I just don't feel that its worth it giving them my money, even if its just $20 in price.
You're part of the movement too, huh? If I didn't ban myself from buying non-used Capcom games, I would have wanted RE4 anyway...until I heard about the slowdown. I mean, come on. I'm not worried about them updating the game at all but they can't even get it to run right?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Eddy

I went and got the HD version of Resident Evil 4 and, I have to say, I haven't noticed any slowdown yet. I did have the music stop when the dog showed up during the El Gigante fight, but that's been about it.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 20, 2011, 10:02:14 PM
So it's just the Wii version with support for resolutions higher than 720p and nonsensical slowdown? Classic Crapcom.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Eddy on September 21, 2011, 09:56:46 AM
I went and got the HD version of Resident Evil 4 and, I have to say, I haven't noticed any slowdown yet. I did have the music stop when the dog showed up during the El Gigante fight, but that's been about it.

I haven't played it myself so I can't attest to it, but I'm just going by the fact that a couple of gaming sites have reported experiencing slow-down in the middle of the game in their reviews of it, such as Game Trailers and other review sites. I think they all implied that it didn't happen very often, but that it was just strange to see at all if only because none of the previous versions ever had slow-down at any point in the gameplay.

Quote from: Foggle on September 21, 2011, 11:22:14 AM
So it's just the Wii version with support for resolutions higher than 720p and nonsensical slowdown? Classic Crapcom.

No, the Wii version has multiple control options in addition to all of the content from the PS2 version. So its technically even less than the Wii version. :P

talonmalon333

I only half read the discussion going on. But the HD version of RE4 has the new content that was added since after it's GC release... at least the content that matters. Also, I'm not sure how drastic it really is, but I've seen screenshots of RE4 HD, and it DOES look better then before.

Resident Evil Code: Veronica, on the other hand, got a REALLY noticeable graphical update in HD.