Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Daxdiv on November 16, 2011, 12:00:44 AM
Speaking of which, I saw that Saints Row The Third has DLC Cheat Codes as well. FUCKING A!
You can actually unlock all of those cheats as power-ups by completing challenges in the game, making the DLC a waste of money and only useful for people who don't care to play through the story or activities properly (and they probably wouldn't buy the game in the first place, at least, not for full price). Plus, using the unlockable versions of the cheats actually lets you get achievements and there are still like 30+ cheat codes in the vanilla game that aren't DLC; fun ones like zombie pedestrians and shit.

Quote from: GaryPotter on November 16, 2011, 12:26:20 AM
Also, why do people play Saints Row? It's a poor man's GTA. I got the first game as a gift and it bore me to tears.
That's the first one, which basically filled in for GTA until a next-gen version (4) came out. The sequels are much better/very different. Saints Row 2 continued the legacy of San Andreas by focusing solely on ridiculous fun and 3 forged its own path by switching the focus of the storyline and turning everything up to 11. The Third is by far my favorite sandbox game ever.

Also, I don't really want to go here because I love the game, but many Vice City and San Andreas fans think that GTA 4 is a poor man's GTA, not Saints Row 2/3.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I played Saints Row 2 at an exhibition event here a couple years ago. It was pretty fun, but it felt really unpolished too. Did The Third fix the really crappy driving mechanics?

Foggle

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on November 16, 2011, 12:31:10 PM
I played Saints Row 2 at an exhibition event here a couple years ago. It was pretty fun, but it felt really unpolished too. Did The Third fix the really crappy driving mechanics?
The Third has A LOT more polish on everything. The driving actually feels good now (completely unrealistic, though; which is awesome), unlike Saints Row 2's toy cars being moved by a young child.

Spark Of Spirit

So looking around for fan opinions on Mario Kart 7 since it looks pretty awesome and what do I see? Discussion on the cool community features, track selections, customization, and gameplay changing gimmicks?

No. I see people whining that Waluigi isn't in the game.

Like I said before; "Gamers."
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on November 16, 2011, 04:53:43 PM
So looking around for fan opinions on Mario Kart 7 since it looks pretty awesome and what do I see? Discussion on the cool community features, track selections, customization, and gameplay changing gimmicks?

No. I see people whining that Waluigi isn't in the game.

Like I said before; "Gamers."

Looks good, though I'm not sure if I'm getting it. But Waluigi's not in the game?

... I'm not gonna whine, but that IS stupid.

Spark Of Spirit

Not really, he's a completely disposable character who doesn't really do anything. As long as they have the original roster, I don't really care who else makes it.

But to ignore all the additional features and great things this game does for one character in a game where characters don't even matter that much is silly. It's like complaining about a certain character not being in Mario Party, it doesn't even really matter since everyone basically plays the same.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on November 16, 2011, 06:16:33 PM
Not really, he's a completely disposable character who doesn't really do anything. As long as they have the original roster, I don't really care who else makes it.

But to ignore all the additional features and great things this game does for one character in a game where characters don't even matter that much is silly. It's like complaining about a certain character not being in Mario Party, it doesn't even really matter since everyone basically plays the same.

But Waluigi ALWAYS gets the short end of the stick. :cry:

Rynnec

Yeah, it is pretty stupid that Waluigi was apparently left out.

TBH, it'd be pretty hypocritical for me to say how pathetic those people are being, 'cause I'd sure as hell would do the same thing if Yoshi were left out of the game instead.

Commode

I echo Desen's thoughts, who the fuck cares about Waluigi?  What has he done that warrants the fandom that he has?  I figured he was just a throwaway character, and I haven't seen any work that actually makes any decent use of him.  He just exists to exist, it would seem.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

talonmalon333

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on November 16, 2011, 08:48:23 PM
I echo Desen's thoughts, who the fuck cares about Waluigi?  What has he done that warrants the fandom that he has?  I figured he was just a throwaway character, and I haven't seen any work that actually makes any decent use of him.  He just exists to exist, it would seem.

Most people want something to really be done with him. Clearly, he's nothing. But I wanna see him in some platforming alongside Wario.

Or maybe a 2D Mario game with Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

They finally dropped Waluigi from a spin-off?

Meh. The game lets you play as 3 grunt characters so they still fulfilled the useless filler character quota. I'll be busy maing the sit outta Metal Mario and delicious Rosalina.

Spark Of Spirit

The first time they added Waluigi to a spin off (Mario Tennis) I never cared for him. He was only added to fill a spot. I could understand someone whining about Daisy (lack of female characters), one of the originals (tradition), or characters that have actually done things (Wario or Rosalina), but characters like Waluigi, Petey, King Boo, Funky, or Birdo are really just there to fill slots.

Besides, why would you play as Waluigi when you could be actual Luigi? It's not like Wario who has multiple series to his name (and was absolutely huge when he first came out in SML2, I might add) and is entirely different to Mario. Until he shows up in a mainline game, he's disposable.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I would say /v/ in general, but /v/ stopped being about video games so long ago.

The only games they seem to discuss nowadays are the competitive ones that get livestreams of tournaments, the latest Free to Play MMO, internet darlings like Team Fortress 2, DotA 2 and Minecraft, and the flavor of the month that they quickly proclaim is shit anyway.

Plus they've got some nostalgia goggles on stronger than their top of the line PCs.

Daxdiv

Don't forget Bioware bashing. I don't think there's a day that goes by and I don't see a thread bashing Bioware over there. They especially bash someone called "Hamburger Hepler" who once said that she wished that video games had a function that can skip game play and just focus on the story.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Oh man, totally forgot about her. I don't know if that image of her interview is totally legit, but it sounds like some of the Bioware drones on their boards were in support of such a feature. But then you have to wonder why bother playing a video game if you're only in it for the story?