Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

The webcomic "Brawl in the Family" has made me grow to love Waluigi. I love him because he's horrible.  :blush:

Foggle

So the Saints Row community is in an uproar right now because the new game's story mode is "too short..." which makes absolutely no sense because it's like an hour shorter than the previous game, and this one doesn't force you to grind Respect or capture Strongholds.

Also, apparently this one is worse than the first two because you can't drink beer or have layered clothing. I shit you not.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on November 20, 2011, 06:05:52 PM
So the Saints Row community is in an uproar right now because the new game's story mode is "too short..." which makes absolutely no sense because it's like an hour shorter than the previous game, and this one doesn't force you to grind Respect or capture Strongholds.

Also, apparently this one is worse than the first two because you can't drink beer or have layered clothing. I shit you not.
Legitimate complaint.   :thinkin:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So....Mega Man Legends 3, a game that SO many people said they wanted and would have thrown money at Capcom for got canceled....but Sour Patch Kids the game gets greenlit....Is it wrong that I find this more hilarious than maddening? I mean, I knew Capcom was crazy, but this is just so ridiculous that I burst out laughing the moment I read it. Even by their modern standards this is so incredibly stupid that its just so fucking funny. I'm almost convinced that they are actively trying to piss people off with every chance that they get.

Kiddington

If it wasn't such an overt bitch-slap to the face on their part, I'd probably find it more humorous than I do.

...but man, this is just sad. With every last breath, this company manages to only further disavow their legacy. Stuff like this is just so damn insulting, I struggle to find the proper words to convey my emotions on the matter. It's like they're just out to fuck with people anymore.

All I can do is shake my head. My, how the mighty have fallen.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on November 30, 2011, 10:45:13 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/11/30/capcom-sour-patch-kids-method-man.aspx

:whuh:

Jesus Christ. Can this company get any lousier?
"Sour Patch is the #1 all sour candy brand in the U.S. but there is so much more to these iconic characters than just their sour exteriors and sweet interiors," says Sebastian Genesio, marketing director for Sour Patch. "Bringing our 'lost kids' to life in video game form will add a new dimension to these lovable snacks. We feel this video game will resonate strongly with our core audience of teens and young adults."
:D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Why couldn't they spend the money on that music video to localize The Last Story?

Rynnec

Gotta love how people throw around the word "sexist".

No wonder we barely have any female MC's in gaming. People would see tits and automatically go "OMG! SEXIST!".

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I hate the modern trend of games to try and put more focus on story and gameplay. I'm sorry, but whether its a good story or not, it hardly matters in a video game if the gameplay isn't the primary thing that keeps you playing. I'm not saying focusing on story is bad, but it should never take precedence over gameplay under any circumstances (and for the record, I don't consider stuff like Heavy Rain to be video games; as far as I'm concerned, that's an interactive movie, which is fine, but its not a real game). And, I'm sorry to say it, but despite the effort some developers try to put into their stories, 99% of most video game stories are crap. The fact that so many critics praised Gears of War 3's story as if it were any good is so pathetic that its hilarious. Have any of these people seen a single film in their lives? Do they know what separates decent writing from completely idiotic tripe? I'm also saying this as someone who relatively enjoys Gears of War games for their single-player campaign modes.

Now, if I were to give the most recent and also consequently the worst example (to me) of developers offending the hell out of this thread, I'd say Ninja Gaiden 3 is taking this principle to the extreme. First off, from what I've seen of the story so far, it looks hilariously bad. To be fair, NG games have always had hilariously bad stories, so its not like this is anything new (though it does now make Ryu into a total wimp in my eyes), but Hayashi is pretending like the story is some deep and provocative thing that should be a selling point of the game. Its really just utter garbage, but whatever, as I said I care little to nothing about the story. What I do care about, and what pisses me off, is that he's using story as an excuse to limit the gameplay and content as much as possible.

Previous NG games have all had multiple weapons, and ones that aren't just carbon-copies of other weapons but with different skins (NG2, for example, had 8 completely unique and distinct weapons that had completely different move-sets and strategic uses from one another). In Ninja Gaiden 3 he wants the story to relate to swords, so the only weapon we'll get in the game is a sword. Essentially he has just used story as an excuse to remove all weapon variety from the game (that's going from 8 weapons in NG2 to just 1 in NG3). He also wants to make the game play half as long as the other games by making the story-mode 8 hours long (whereas previous games were each about 15+ hours long), and once again his excuse is because it relates to how the story is told and making the game go on longer would stretch out the story or some BS like that. So, once again, we've made a drop from having a 15 hour story-mode in NG2 to an 8-hour one in NG3. On top of that, he's also taken the liberty of removing shops, healing items, weapon upgrades, ALL of the Ninpo magic attacks except for one (and that can't even be upgraded, either), treasure chests, and even alternate costumes (which I'm willing to bet he'll just release as DLC later, anyways). And, one again, he says all of this "had to be removed because those elements wouldn't fit in with the story that he was trying to tell). What an utter load of shit. I hope this game bombs on release and that he gets criticized for being one of the worst lead developers in history for single-handedly destroying a once respectable video game series.

And that, my friends, is merely just ONE example of how much shit like focusing more on story than gameplay pisses me off. There are of course plenty of other offenders out there, but this one hit me the hardest given how big of a fan of the NG series that I am. I just hate how this trend has finally affected the quality of the less popular and more niche titles that I like to play.

For the record, when a story is good and the gameplay is also great to boot, I think that makes for a great combination, but very few games can pull it off. But, as an example, I found BioShock to have relatively good gameplay and a pretty suitably long campaign mode, with a terrific story to boot. The main thing to keep in mind here, though, is that it didn't use story to skimp out on the gameplay (on the contrary, it cleverly used its story to add in even more interesting gameplay elements). If developers want to focus more on story in their video games, that's fine, but they should take more examples from games like BioShock and do so without forgetting the fact that they are making a video game and that no matter what they do, they shouldn't be cutting any corners on the gameplay.

Foggle

My thoughts on the VGAs (from our Twitter):

The VGAs are quite possibly the worst thing to ever happen to video games. Ever.
I actually wanted to commit suicide while watching it.
I don't even take offense to the awards portion of it. That was fine. It was the other stuff. Which was 90% of the show.
Next time I see someone make an arrow to the knee joke, I'm going to cut their fucking throat. Oh, and Deadmau5 is shit.
I hope Felicia Day dies. As well as that dude from Chuck. Unless he didn't write his "material." Then I hope the writer dies... he can stay.
The teabagging part made me want to vomit. I literally almost threw up on my monitor. That hasn't happened since the 1st time I saw SWAP.avi
Oh, and that Call of Duty Soldiers Foundation or whatever the fuck video... Totally cheesy and tasteless. Someone needs to die for that.
Revengeance looked cool, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The MGS spin-off game, Revengeance, looks insanely over-the-top in all of the best ways, and seems like a really fun hack n' slash game. It also seems a HELL of a lot better than Ninja Gaiden 3, which kind of saddens me but at the same time its nice to know that I'll at least have an actual good hack n' slash game to look forward to once again.

Foggle