Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Think about this; would you pay $60 to see a 3 hour movie you would never re-watch?

Heck, people aren't even paying $10 at the cinema anymore.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 03, 2012, 04:02:51 PM
Think about this; would you pay $60 to see a 3 hour movie you would never re-watch?

This is why I have no problem with used games existing. If I have a game I know I'll never go back to due to various factors, like it sucks, I got all the enjoyment out of it, it bored me after a while, I need space for more games etc. I'll just sell it on eBay and see if I can make some money on it.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Daxdiv on February 03, 2012, 04:05:35 PM

This is why I have no problem with used games existing. If I have a game I know I'll never go back to due to various factors, like it sucks, I got all the enjoyment out of it, it bored me after a while, I need space for more games etc. I'll just sell it on eBay and see if I can make some money on it.
Yeah, games have no real value. I bought Fallout 3 for $20 and when I exchanged it (because I had no intention of touching it ever again) I got like a couple of bucks. Now imagine those who bought it for $60 when it came out. Why not wait?

In comparison finding a Nintendo game this generation for cheap is considerably harder and more people own Wiis than the HD systems.

This gen is so weird.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

"I think we kind of found ourselves seduced by the language of film ...and we started to put the expectations of films on games ... we lost a lot of the fundamentals of what makes video games special." - David Jaffe creator of Twisted Metal

If only more people got that. But I'm sure his opinion will be overlooked.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 09, 2012, 05:08:51 PM
"I think we kind of found ourselves seduced by the language of film ...and we started to put the expectations of films on games ... we lost a lot of the fundamentals of what makes video games special." - David Jaffe creator of Twisted Metal

I remember when he said games should be short like blockbuster movies.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 09, 2012, 05:27:59 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 09, 2012, 05:08:51 PM

I remember when he said games should be short like blockbuster movies.
He probably did- until they completely overtook most single player games.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

There's nothing wrong with a video game taking inspiration from films. Tons of games have done that, including many retro games, and its nice to see that incorporated into the themes and personalities of various games. That said, what I don't like is when a video game tries to actively BE A MOVIE. That's where I draw the line. I want to play a game to play a game. If I notice that a level was inspired by some famous setting or scene in a movie that I like, that's pretty cool, but if I notice that the game is actually trying to emulate the movie by taking control away from you as a player and actually just playing out like a movie instead, I put down my controller and turn it off. What ticks me off is that so many people these days praise games for being more cinematic and giving the player less control in order to allow for more scripted set-piece events. All I can say is that if the developers are going to do stuff like that, then why not go all the way and just make it a full-fledged CG movie. At least that spares the players from having to play through an 8-hour QTE-fest with the occasional shooting section strewn in-between.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 03, 2012, 04:13:45 PM
Quote from: Daxdiv on February 03, 2012, 04:05:35 PM

Yeah, games have no real value. I bought Fallout 3 for $20 and when I exchanged it (because I had no intention of touching it ever again) I got like a couple of bucks. Now imagine those who bought it for $60 when it came out. Why not wait?

In comparison finding a Nintendo game this generation for cheap is considerably harder and more people own Wiis than the HD systems.

This gen is so weird.

Yup, Nintendo games are about the only thing I buy full priced now, just because most of them never dip in price. They finally put out a Player's Choice line again but its literally a year away from a new system, I doubt anyone would've wanted to wait this long.

That's why I'm grateful for Craigslist, CheapAssGamer, and Kmart since they have all their games at bargain bin prices. Not to mention Kmart seems to have a fetish for stocking obscure/limited run games, so I can always count on them to have a random NIS/Atlus release if I ever feel the urge to buy one.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 09, 2012, 06:09:31 PM
There's nothing wrong with a video game taking inspiration from films. Tons of games have done that, including many retro games, and its nice to see that incorporated into the themes and personalities of various games. That said, what I don't like is when a video game tries to actively BE A MOVIE. That's where I draw the line. I want to play a game to play a game. If I notice that a level was inspired by some famous setting or scene in a movie that I like, that's pretty cool, but if I notice that the game is actually trying to emulate the movie by taking control away from you as a player and actually just playing out like a movie instead, I put down my controller and turn it off. What ticks me off is that so many people these days praise games for being more cinematic and giving the player less control in order to allow for more scripted set-piece events. All I can say is that if the developers are going to do stuff like that, then why not go all the way and just make it a full-fledged CG movie. At least that spares the players from having to play through an 8-hour QTE-fest with the occasional shooting section strewn in-between.
Amen. QTEs is one of the two things I hate to experience the most in games.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 09, 2012, 06:09:31 PM
100% agreed. I see it like this: Yakuza does it right, LA Noire towed the line, and Heavy Rain completely missed the point.

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 09, 2012, 06:22:45 PM
Amen. QTEs is one of the two things I hate to experience the most in games.
I don't mind QTEs if they aren't extremely prominent and result in something interesting. Like the badass knife fight in RE 4.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 09, 2012, 06:24:02 PM
Press X to Jason.

What in the world?
Fuck that shit. At least Indigo Prophecy tried to be a video game.

Spark Of Spirit

So if anyone has been keeping up with their Sony news, the Last Guardian is currently in limbo, Ueda has left Sony, and it looks like the game might not even release this gen. Other than Naughty Dog, Sony's studios haven't been doing all that hot this gen sales or profit-wise, anyway.

I really hope Overstrike is successful, for Insomniac's sake.

Foggle

Overstrike is multiplatform, isn't it? They aren't owned by Sony, they've just exclusively made games for them up until now. Their PS3 game sales are probably the catalyst for going multiplat, though I'd argue that the bad sales are actually because Resistance is boring and the new Ratchet games pale in comparison to the older ones (though Crack In Time was quite nice overall).

Spark Of Spirit

I think the Ratchet games have stopped selling well, so that might be another reason. That probably has something to do with them being the only exclusive platformers on the system.

Honestly, I wish they would stop with the gunplay and just make a straight on platformer. They're getting a bit too close to just being another shooting company, despite how much potential Overstrike has, it could easily still be overlooked like the last two Resistance games were. Even if it looks better than those, shooters are kind of overstuffed right now.