Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Until EA gives me a new Road Rash or Mirror's Edge, I really don't care what they do. I'm not buying.  >:(
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Hopefully the next Mirror's Edge will actually be worth $50. I liked the game, but I'm very glad I didn't pay full price for it.

Here are some ways they could improve the sequel:
1) Make it longer than 3 hours.
2) Either remove the shooting entirely or give it a complete overhaul.
3) Have a plot that isn't total garbage and give it an ending that doesn't feel insulting.
4) Remove the timing-based scenarios that have nothing at all to do with parkour.
5) Seriously, make it longer than 3 hours. Mirror's Edge has a decent amount of replay value, but it doesn't even touch that of most classic games or even Sonic Generations. The game was far too short to justify the price tag, and I say that as someone who usually doesn't care about length.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 01, 2012, 01:15:37 PM
Hopefully the next Mirror's Edge will actually be worth $50. I liked the game, but I'm very glad I didn't pay full price for it.

Here are some ways they could improve the sequel:
1) Make it longer than 3 hours.
2) Either remove the shooting entirely or give it a complete overhaul.
3) Have a plot that isn't total garbage and give it an ending that doesn't feel insulting.
4) Remove the timing-based scenarios that have nothing at all to do with parkour.
5) Seriously, make it longer than 3 hours. Mirror's Edge has a decent amount of replay value, but it doesn't even touch that of most classic games or even Sonic Generations. The game was far too short to justify the price tag, and I say that as someone who usually doesn't care about length.
All these are easily doable, really.

1) There are several ways to do this. Multiple character campaigns, alternate routes and branching paths, or just plain make more levels. This is the easy one.
2) I actually didn't mind this because you weren't ever supposed to fire a gun so you should be  punished for using them. What they need to do is make it easier to disarm opponents and not have to use the guns. Seriously, slide kick to uppercut was the only way to reliably knock anyone out.
3) Okay, THIS is the easiest part. DICE have never had a good plot, might I suggest a comic book writer? They tend to suit games better than novelists do. Mirror's Edge suits comic book more than novel.
4) Yeah, worst part of the game. These need to go, and they probably will.
5) The game has a lot more replay value to me than most shooters this gen, but I agree that it could have more. Point 1 is the easiest way to do it.

Also, I loathe time trials, so I'd like to actually see a co-op or multiplayer mode instead. Oddly enough, the unique concept would work better here than something like BioShock. Tag mode and capture the flag while platforming on skyscrapers? Come on, that's just cool.

Before I forget:

6) No more e-surance cut scenes. The in game engine is great. Use it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 01, 2012, 01:57:32 PM
2) I actually didn't mind this because you weren't ever supposed to fire a gun so you should be  punished for using them.
See, I'd agree with this, but in the last couple of levels you're basically forced to use guns. Your life was also made a little easier by using a sniper rifle in certain scenarios, but that wasn't really a big deal.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 01, 2012, 03:18:57 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 01, 2012, 01:57:32 PM
2) I actually didn't mind this because you weren't ever supposed to fire a gun so you should be  punished for using them.
See, I'd agree with this, but in the last couple of levels you're basically forced to use guns. Your life was also made a little easier by using a sniper rifle in certain scenarios, but that wasn't really a big deal.
Yeah, guns shouldn't have been forced on you. Even now I can do a gun-free run except for that stupid part in the generator room. You basically have to keep spamming the same attacks over and over (like my patented slide kick into uppercut) if you choose not to use guns in that part. They simply expect you to use them even if they weren't mandatory, and that was a mistake.

I do like how guns were used in that they were completely optional, not overpowered and had drawbacks, and most enemies with them were easily avoided (since they had no defense up close) but they should have made it smoother to disarm (and it should have knocked the gun on the ground, not made you instantly grab it) and it should not have been so hard to knock enemies unconscious.

The game has a great foundation to improve upon.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 01, 2012, 12:55:14 PM
Until EA gives me a new Road Rash or Mirror's Edge, I really don't care what they do. I'm not buying.  >:(
I'll settle for a new Strike game.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Add that and the stupid crap they did to Mega Man and you can guarantee that this is a used buy at best for me.

If anyone really wants to buy this new, you're really part of the problem this time.

Foggle

I have no problem with what they did to Mega Man here, really. I think Bad Box Art Mega Man is hilarious and actually pretty fitting for a game like this.

That said, I hate fighting games, and I only play Tekken occasionally for the nostalgic value. I was never planning on picking this up, new or otherwise.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Man I was excited for this game from day 1, and it certainly seemed less corporate fueled like Marvel vs Capcom 3 was. Plus the way Ono and Harada were promoting it, sure seemed like it was going to be a totally fun project for both parties involved.

Then slowly but surely the typical Capcom tricks leaked in. Gems, costumes, Sony exclusive characters that have no place in the game, and now characters that should be available from the start. This isn't even 2 pre-order DLC + 2 unfinished guys, this is literally an entire update that's just about done. They did a great job promoting the game, but I have to pass on it based on principle alone.

Also, I got butthurt that Ono basically admitted they was too lazy to cut a deal with Nakahira to get the rights for Karin to appear in the game. Namco managed to do it before in Namco x Capcom, so hopefully they can do it again for their version.

Spark Of Spirit

I think they're working on a Capcom x Sega x Namco game for the 3DS... But that'll probably be a strategy game or something.

Honestly the game did look to be a step back towards the "fun" Vs games that ended with TvC before they got too corporate and reigned in, but that kind of DLC is probably the worst on record so far. It's like Capcom gets worse with every game when it comes to that crap.

Oh, and don't mind me on the Mega Man butthurt. I'm sure the joke wouldn't have been lost on me... If his games weren't all canceled, the fans weren't mocked by Capcom, and he wasn't cut from MvC3. That just seemed like another needless jab.

Eddy

I'm pissed at Capcom about Mega Man too but I found bad box art Mega Man being in this hilarious.

That said, fuck you, Capcom. There comes a time when enough is enough. And this is enough. If I get this game I'm getting it used and probably waiting for the "Super" version you claim you aren't going to make.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, this doesn't really bother me that much since I don't play a lot of fighting games to begin with, but it does kind of perplex me. Does anyone notice how just about every big name fighting game franchise now seems to have some obligatory "guest" character in each of their new installments? I think the trend started with Soul Calibur II, but its certainly become popular. Dead or Alive 4 had a Halo character as a guest-star fighter, the last Mortal Kombat game had Kratos (even if it was only on the PS3 version). Every SC game since the 2nd one has some pointless guest character from a completely unrelated universe, and recently DOA5 was revealed to have a Virtua Fighter character as a guest fighter in it (though at least it IS a fighting game character this time, to its credit). Maybe I'm just looking into it too much, but knowing that this is a plot to make more sales to attract fans from other series to buy these fighting games, do the companies publishing these games REALLY think that just adding a character from another property will really increase their sales that much? Well, actually, a better question is, DOES it really increase sales of fighting games that much? Are people who don't play a lot of fighting games and aren't even that into them dumb enough to fork over money for one just because Kratos is in it and they are a God of War fan, even if they care nothing about MK games whatsoever?

This has kind of been bugging me for a while. Its not that big a deal, but I find it to be a slightly annoying trend, personally. To me, that spot they use for a guest character could be better served to create a completely new and original fighting game character to fit in the context of that specific fighting game Universe and its gameplay mechanics. That's just the way that I feel, though.