Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Well, it certaintly does seem to work. Many people got into Soul Calibur because of Link's presence in SCII (myself included). It only really bothers me when the characters are out of place in the games setting. Link, Kratos, Ezio fit withing their respective guest appearances. The Star Wars characters, and Cole Mcgarath (WTF does he even have to do with ANYTHING SF or Tekken related?) DO NOT.

Outside of SFxTekken, this really isn't an issue in 2D fighters. If a 2D fighter does have guest characters, said characters are usually owned by the developers of the game anyway, and fit in with the setting (Like Shiki Ryougi in Melty Blood, or the various Fatal Fury characters in KoF).

Rynnec

Speaking of guest fighters:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/03/05/nathan-drake-almost-guest-starred-in-street-fighter-x-tekken

Yeesh! It's a crossover fighter between two very specific franchise's. Why the hell would it need guest characters (other than for money)?

talonmalon333

Quote from: Rynnec on March 05, 2012, 05:39:32 PM
Well, it certaintly does seem to work. Many people got into Soul Calibur because of Link's presence in SCII (myself included). 

And anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that was the most popular version of SCII as well.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 05, 2012, 06:37:17 PM
Well, it certaintly does seem to work. Many people got into Soul Calibur because of Link's presence in SCII (myself included). 

And anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that was the most popular version of SCII as well.
Yes, it was. Which made the whole SCIII PS2 exclusive (without even an arcade version) downright puzzling at the time. But then again.... Namco.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 05, 2012, 10:12:49 PM

Yes, it was. Which made the whole SCIII PS2 exclusive (without even an arcade version) downright puzzling at the time. But then again.... Namco.

There actuall was a SCIII:Arcade Edition that came out a year later, and it had quite a lot of stuff added in. As for the PS2 exclusive deal, I just thought Sony paid for the game's console version to be exclusive to their system?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on March 06, 2012, 01:48:30 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 05, 2012, 10:12:49 PM

There actuall was a SCIII:Arcade Edition that came out a year later, and it had quite a lot of stuff added in. As for the PS2 exclusive deal, I just thought Sony paid for the game's console version to be exclusive to their system?
There was an arcade version? We never gt that here. Either way it should have come out first there then came out for consoles.

As for an exclusive... probably. The PS2 is basically the last system that has any real amount of third party exclusives.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Well, I won't be buying Fez.

What a class act.

What is it with indie game developers and their undeserved egos?

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 06, 2012, 03:42:11 PM
Well, I won't be buying Fez.

What a class act.

:lol: That's some funny shit.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Good god. If I was a Japanese game developer (particularly if I was that guy at the panel), I would be legitimately outraged by this. I hope no one purchases Fez. Phil Fish is a fucking asshole.

gunswordfist

I'm still too busy laughing at this.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 06, 2012, 03:42:11 PM

Its the curse of getting media attention. When people break into the spotlight, or when someone similar to them makes it, they'll do whatever they can to stay in people's minds. This gen, indie games have been getting a significantly large amount of spotlight, so these dudes believe they can do no wrong because they are the media darlings of the moment.

I wonder what Pixl or any of the other japanese indie developers feel about this though.

Daxdiv

Wait, this guy also said that Fez couldn't be a PC game because you need a controller and a comfy couch to enjoy it? Well, I rarely spend my money on Xbox Live games anymore and this is giving me more of a reason to not to. Excuse me while I give my money to someone else like Edmund McMillen and Tim Schafer.

Foggle

Quote from: Daxdiv on March 06, 2012, 08:35:06 PM
Wait, this guy also said that Fez couldn't be a PC game because you need a controller and a comfy couch to enjoy it? Well, I rarely spend my money on Xbox Live games anymore and this is giving me more of a reason to not to. Excuse me while I give my money to someone else like Edmund McMillen and Tim Schafer.
Because obviously it's impossible to use a TV as your computer monitor and plug a controller into your CPU. Obviously.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 06, 2012, 08:58:09 PM
Quote from: Daxdiv on March 06, 2012, 08:35:06 PM
Because obviously it's impossible to use a TV as your computer monitor and plug a controller into your CPU. Obviously.
You're not playing the game the way he wants you to.

Hmm, that sounds familiar...