Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 06, 2012, 09:03:35 PM
Quote from: Foggle on March 06, 2012, 08:58:09 PM
Quote from: Daxdiv on March 06, 2012, 08:35:06 PM
Wait, this guy also said that Fez couldn't be a PC game because you need a controller and a comfy couch to enjoy it? Well, I rarely spend my money on Xbox Live games anymore and this is giving me more of a reason to not to. Excuse me while I give my money to someone else like Edmund McMillen and Tim Schafer.
Because obviously it's impossible to use a TV as your computer monitor and plug a controller into your CPU. Obviously.
You're not playing the game the way he wants you to.

Hmm, that sounds familiar...

No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination?

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on March 06, 2012, 07:59:33 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 06, 2012, 03:42:11 PM
What is it with indie game developers and their undeserved egos?

Its the curse of getting media attention. When people break into the spotlight, or when someone similar to them makes it, they'll do whatever they can to stay in people's minds. This gen, indie games have been getting a significantly large amount of spotlight, so these dudes believe they can do no wrong because they are the media darlings of the moment.

I wonder what Pixl or any of the other japanese indie developers feel about this though.
Pixel is sending Curly to Fish's house right now.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Pretentious designers like this. I love how he flat out admits that Braid is not fun and not designed to be fun. :>

Well, let me just make it straight that I have nothing against indie games or indie game designers in general. Some indie games are great and in fact better than many mainstream retail games that I play. Personally I think games like Braid, Limbo, and others along that line are pretentious shit that get way too overrated by critics and do not fall into the category of good indie games, but perhaps I'm just too biased.

What kind of ticks me off though is the way that more and more designers seem to talk like this. They try to make themselves and their games seem more intelligent and try to make it seem like their "way of gaming" is something deeper than what they really are. Personally I'm of the opinion that at their core, games are simple: they are either fun to play or not. Its true that fun can mean different things to different people, but the bottom line is that if someone finds a game to be good its at the very least because they have fun playing it. I have no idea how this guy thinks that someone finds a game to be good even if its not fun for them to play. You can find aspects of a game to be good, but the bottom line is that if its not fun for you, its not a good game for you. I mean, people can claim that gaming has come a long way over the years and it certainly has, but the core of what makes a great game great hasn't changed in my mind, and I hate how so many people seem to get so pretentious about this topic and claim that a game should be so many other things to be great, but simple fun isn't a necessary requirement. That's just one of the flat-out dumbest things that I have ever heard, personally. :bleh:

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah I have the same issue with music that is cacophonous noise and movies that make no sense. They miss the point that music is supposed to sound good and movies are supposed to tell stories. In the same vein, games are supposed to be fun.

If you miss the key component, then it doesn't matter how "different" your material is, it is inferior by definition.

There is literally no reason anyone should download Braid over Outland on XBLA. The latter manages to be completely unique, yet it remembers that games were made to be fun, whereas Braid just swings and misses in that area.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Braid and Limbo are masterpieces compared to The Path. Ugh.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 08, 2012, 04:56:28 PM
Yeah I have the same issue with music that is cacophonous noise and movies that make no sense. They miss the point that music is supposed to sound good and movies are supposed to tell stories. In the same vein, games are supposed to be fun.
I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. Music that is nothing but cacophonous noise will never sound good and a video game that sets out to be tedious can never be fun, but a movie can still tell a story even if it makes little sense.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 08, 2012, 06:21:41 PM
Braid and Limbo are masterpieces compared to The Path. Ugh.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 08, 2012, 04:56:28 PM
I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. Music that is nothing but cacophonous noise will never sound good and a video game that sets out to be tedious can never be fun, but a movie can still tell a story even if it makes little sense.
You can have symbolism and underlying meaning while having a clear and concise plot. They're not mutually exclusive.

Though we might be thinking of different things since I've seen more than my fair share of bad student films over the years that always tend to ignore the latter in order to be "different" and little else.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Rosalinas Spare Wand

So now he's just going along with his role of being a jackass. What a class act.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35893935#post35893935

Really? REALLY? Is Capcom completely unaware of the audience they've alienated over the last couple of years? Are these fools really stupid enough to continue encouraging this kind of sleazy business practice time and time again?

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Why people try to justify it, I don't understand. This is gouging plain and simple.

Eddy

Capcom is claiming that is fake.

It's kind of sad that it seems completely believable though.

Eddy

Oh yes, I guess this is worth pointing out: anyone who is upset with Capcom for including Bad Box Art Mega Man in Street Fighter x Tekken should know that it was actually Inafune's idea before he left. Now, obviously he didn't know all the troubles Mega Man would go through after he was gone, but that should maybe ease the minds of some who feel Capcom is trolling them by having BBA Mega Man in the game.

Capcom still sucks but I actually love that BBA Mega Man is in.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Eddy on March 12, 2012, 02:50:15 AM
Oh yes, I guess this is worth pointing out: anyone who is upset with Capcom for including Bad Box Art Mega Man in Street Fighter x Tekken should know that it was actually Inafune's idea before he left. Now, obviously he didn't know all the troubles Mega Man would go through after he was gone, but that should maybe ease the minds of some who feel Capcom is trolling them by having BBA Mega Man in the game.

For realz?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Eddy on March 12, 2012, 02:50:15 AM

Too bad they didn't follow his idea for Mega Man Universe and Mega Man Legends 3 to actually exist.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but that's ridiculous that they pick that idea to use.