Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

And how convienient that the idea they picked to use was the most easiest to implement, and the one which required the least work.

Also, I've heard people justifying the cancelation of MML3 by saying "It wouldn't sell, the first two games didn't sell, so why would this on?" which I call BS. It's been a whole decade, and two console generations since Legends 2 came out, which means a new audience, which means different sales. Just because a franchise failed in a previous gen doesn't mean it'll fail in the current generation. Hell, look at the Persona games, I'm pretty sure no one expected Persona 3 and 4 to sell as well as they did. Why can't Megaman Legends (and Capcoms other ignored franchises for that matter) get the same chance?

Spark Of Spirit

Because Capcom is well known for milking a series until death and ignoring it for well over a decade. Look at Viewtiful Joe; first game > tons of spin offs > sequel >spin offs that bomb > terrible animated series > franchise killed. All within one generation of consoles despite the actual main games doing well.

Capcom has a very bad habit of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, basically any Capcom IP that isn't called Resident Evil or Street Fighter is pretty much doomed to be left for dead (if that hasn't already happened to it yet)?

In that case, if their Western take on DMC developed by Ninja Theory doesn't sell exceptionally well (which won't be surprising if it doesn't), then its good-bye to Dante as well.

You know what the most annoying aspect of Capcom's current practices is? They fucking KNOW that everyone hates them for it. They are completely aware and they still continue to do it because they don't give a shit? Why not? Because apparently there are quite a lot of people out there who still buy their products new, and who still support them and even go so far as to defend their actions. As long as people keep buying their games, they won't stop doing what they are doing. If enough people could just resist the urge to buy their new releases for a while and massively boycott them, they'd be forced to stop doing what they are doing. Either that or they would financially collapse as a company. Either way I'd be happier than allowing them to continue what they've been doing for the past few years.

I think the sad thing is that its now hard to believe that there was actually once a time when Capcom was a well-respected company among gamers. I guess that respect got to their heads and they just got too greedy. Oh well, one way or another if they keep pushing what they're doing, they'll eventually hit a breaking point and dig their own graves. I'm completely sure of this.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 12, 2012, 06:50:16 PM
So, basically any Capcom IP that isn't called Resident Evil or Street Fighter is pretty much doomed to be left for dead (if that hasn't already happened to it yet)?
Funny thing about Street Fighter, too. Look how long it took for IV to come out after III. And look how hard they tried to bury III when it actually did come out.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 12, 2012, 06:50:16 PMIn that case, if their Western take on DMC developed by Ninja Theory doesn't sell exceptionally well (which won't be surprising if it doesn't), then its good-bye to Dante as well.
Make no mistake. If this game bombs (and it will), DMC is dead. Even Resident Evil is getting 6 made while ORC comes out and bombs, DMC isn't even getting that. It's being set up to fail.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 12, 2012, 06:50:16 PMYou know what the most annoying aspect of Capcom's current practices is? They fucking KNOW that everyone hates them for it. They are completely aware and they still continue to do it because they don't give a shit? Why not? Because apparently there are quite a lot of people out there who still buy their products new, and who still support them and even go so far as to defend their actions. As long as people keep buying their games, they won't stop doing what they are doing. If enough people could just resist the urge to buy their new releases for a while and massively boycott them, they'd be forced to stop doing what they are doing. Either that or they would financially collapse as a company. Either way I'd be happier than allowing them to continue what they've been doing for the past few years.

I think the sad thing is that its now hard to believe that there was actually once a time when Capcom was a well-respected company among gamers. I guess that respect got to their heads and they just got too greedy. Oh well, one way or another if they keep pushing what they're doing, they'll eventually hit a breaking point and dig their own graves. I'm completely sure of this.
They have horrid PR, their sales have been going down, and they refuse to release games people actually want while undercutting the games they actually make.

The worst part is the fans that swallow anything they spew out. Like at all the defenders of the SFvT DLC debacle. "Yes, Capcom! Please let me pay $90 for your game!" Good grief.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

11 years between Street Fighter 3 and 4. I doubt they care too much about those franchises, either.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 12, 2012, 08:08:40 PM
11 years between Street Fighter 3 and 4. I doubt they care too much about those franchises, either.
It's not like RE is getting away scot-free either. Gears Of Evil 5, and now Raccoon City online co-op from one of the most hated "online co-op" devs around (no local, either!) aren't really helping the franchise stay afloat. If they screw up RE6, that'll probably be it.

Then what do they have?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on March 12, 2012, 08:08:40 PM

Street Fighter got a shit-ton of attention from them since the success of SF4, though. They re-released the shit out of SF4, then used the engine for MvC3, and as of this month we just got SFxT which is technically a street fighter game featuring Tekken characters (since it uses the SF engine), just like how TxSF will technically be a Tekken game when that comes out since it'll be running off of Tekken's engine and be a full-fledged 3D fighter rather than a 2.5D one.

Foggle

Ugh. Jim Sterling is everything wrong with "video game journalism." I really don't know how he hasn't been fired yet due to his horrifically biased editorials/reviews, the descriptions of disgusting sexual acts in nearly half of what he writes, and his hilariously uninformed views on just about everything. Regardless of how selfish this donation campaign thing may be, these people raised over $35,000 for charity in a fucking day. I really can't see the negative side to that.

Spark Of Spirit

I've been saying that for a while.  ;)

He gets clicks, that's why. Whenever I see a link towards Destructoid I ALWAYS check to see who it's by. If it says his name (or doesn't say who wrote it), I simply don't click. He offers no insight into anything except his feeble attempts to annoy people which contribute nothing to anybody. I refuse to reward that.

Foggle

His reviews are among the worst I've ever seen. Off the top of my head:

Killzone 3 - 10/10
Modern Warfare 3 - 9.5/10
The Witcher 2 - 6/10
Vanquish - 5/10
Mario Kart 7 - 5/10
Sonic Colors - 4.5/10
Assassin's Creed 2 - 4.5/10
Final Fantasy 13 - 3/10 (as much as I hate this game, it's not that bad)
Duke Nukem Forever - 2/10 (and the above goes double for Duke)

The worst part is that the entire Dtoid userbase constantly fellates him and will immediately start insulting games (without playing them) if he thinks they're bad. And while he may pretend that 4-6 are not bad scores, he will still describe the games as shit. He actually does just that in his Sonic Colors review.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I read a transcribed version of his Colors review. He did the same thing as GT did and made up flaws that weren't even there, which is my most hated kind of reviewer. Then he praised that dull DS version which actually HAS the flaws he was whining about.

His 10/10 for Deadly Premonition was a joke, too. As much as I love the game, he made it sound like some kind of a joke like 'its so bad its good' throughout the whole review which is really insulting towards what the game does well which is a lot of things that he just wrote off because "lolrandom!1".

Again, doing something 'for the lulz' is not a profession and should not be a professionally paid job.

Foggle

Part of Deadly Premonition's charm comes from the cutscenes and music, though... which kind of are so bad they're good. I mean, the actual story and characters are extremely well done, and the gameplay is excellent in spite of being fairly unpolished, but the music is largely unfitting in a totally awesome way and the cutscenes are just downright hilarious.

But yeah, his review does basically write the game off as a joke. It's about on par with IGN's once you look past the 10.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, I thought they were actually pretty well done in a Twin Peaks sort of way, which I thought is what they were going for, but giving the game a 10/10 because it's "so bad its good" is pretty insulting. The combat wasn't very fun, but the exploration and survival elements are pretty fantastic there was nothing really bad about that.

IGN's review was just awful, though. They clearly went in without even giving it a chance.

Spark Of Spirit

Why does everyone want Retro Studios to make another Metroid game or a Zelda game?

We've had enough freaking 3D Metroid games to last us another few years. How about Metroid 5? You know, the 2D Metroid we've been promised since the GBA? Enough with the 3D stuff.

As for Zelda... Why? What could they possibly do to add to the formula? Why them and not EAD2 or Monolith or something? Why is Retro some brilliant developer that eclipse the rest of Nintendo when everyone always whines about how much they hated Metroid Prime 2 or 3 and how the games nosedived in sales (and bombed in Japan)? I fail to see how giving them Zelda when they fell out of Metroid is a good idea.

If they aren't making DKCR2, StarTropics, or a new IP, I don't really want anything else from them.

Foggle

All of the Metroid Prime games are great. :??: I'd love to see Retro tackle the 2D Metroid formula, to be honest. They really nailed the Metroid feel with Prime 1-3, so I don't doubt that they could make an amazing classic-style Metroid if given the chance (and it'd be better than Other M at the very least).

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 14, 2012, 02:36:00 PM
Well, I thought they were actually pretty well done in a Twin Peaks sort of way, which I thought is what they were going for
Definitely an homage to Twin Peaks in many ways. But, honestly, my friend and I laughed uproariously all the way through what we played of the game. I mean, seriously, the first cutscene in DP has squirrels making howler monkey noises, a lighter that only works when wet, and an awesomely stupid analysis of Tom & Jerry. Deadly Premonition seems to embrace the cult classic style of "so bad it's good" humor (a la Army of Darkness), which wasn't really present in Twin Peaks. And I absolutely love it for that.

Still need to finish my own file (which I barely started), but I guess I'll just wait for the extended edition for that.