Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

It won't be Resident Evil 5-2 unless the combat sucks and forced co-op is shoehorned in for no reason. At worst, this game will be Gears Of Evil.

RE 5 and ORC have already killed the series gameplay-wise while Umbrella Chronicles and ORC successfully managed to rape the story in multiple orifices. The best thing Resident Evil 6 can possibly do is to disassociate itself with any preceding games and reboot the franchise into full-on Vanquish-style TPS action.

Or into something subdued and terrifying like Siren (but with "real" zombies instead of shibito).

Which will never happen.

Spark Of Spirit

I just don't know why they can't just make more Revelations-type games with more of an emphasis on survival, and make the more actiony games a new IP. When you warp something into something it was never meant to be, it eventually cracks and falls to pieces.

And emulating COD makes no sense. Resident Evil is not Call Of Duty.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Actually, there was a very good point someone brought up on that subject:

QuoteYeah how come Street Fighter hasn't become an SSB clone since SSB sells so much more. Why isn't Megaman a Mario clone considering how well it sells. Why is Resident Evil the one that needs to become like Call of Duty?
I mean, Mega Man's shabby treatment aside, going for that NSMB money is a LOT more than COD money is worth.

But hey, Capcom.

Rynnec

And that's what's wrong with gaming today.
Making titles based on their marketability, rather
than just creating good games.

This quote speaks the truth.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 22, 2012, 07:59:52 PM
And emulating COD makes no sense. Resident Evil is not Call Of Duty.
The tiny bit of gameplay footage seen in the first trailer looks nothing like CoD, so they probably just mean that they want to get the CoD audience (just like a certain RPG developer said a short while back...). The team making Revelations clearly understood why RE 4 was so good (to an extent... the cutaway action levels were horrendous), but that style doesn't bring in the big bucks Cashcom is looking for.

On that note, Capcom is apparently going to be announcing more western-developed spin-offs of their franchises soon. Right now we have a shitty Resident Evil cover shooter made by a C-list developer and coming soon is the Devil May Cry prequel/reboot that plays like God Of War, looks like Twilight, and is developed by a company known for having better cutscenes and setpieces than base gameplay.

Here's what I'm anticipating:

Mega Man XX - 30 year old Mega Man (based on the classic NES box art) is a cop on the edge with nothing to lose. He is tasked with bringing down 8 distinct gangs run by the ruthless "Robot Masters" in a cyberpunk dystopia. It'll be a GTA clone with lots of driving, cover-based shooting, and no jump button. Developed by Team Soho.

Oni Musha: Legend Of The Demon Warrior - A stealth game about a dishonored samurai journeying through Hell to take revenge on the demons who destroyed his village and killed his family. Developed by Replay Studios.

Monster Hunter: The Reckoning - An action RPG with a major emphasis on story and character development. Loosely based on the award-winning narratives of the series' previous games. Features no boss battles whatsoever. Developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

Spark Of Spirit

I still remember that dmc guy saying that "they weren't trying to better Bayonetta in combat" a few months ago during an interview. Talk about missing the point more than Hayashi in NG3.

I just want to know what's wrong with Dead Space 2 or Resident Evil 4 money? Those game were pretty successful and nothing like COD. COD gamers want COD for COD, they don't want a series that has nothing to do with it trying to be like it. I guess I'm just worried about this trend of more and more games playing exactly alike.

Foggle

Been on a bit of P* kick lately. I'm sure you've noticed. Anyway, I've been reading a lot of fan reactions about Metal Gear Rising, and I'm completely fucking dumbfounded by the hate it's been receiving. This post I found on Kotaku sums up my opinion on the matter perfectly:

QuoteThe reaction to Rising in general has completely blown my mind. I just don't understand gamers anymore.

People act like it's the end of the world, that a damn spin-off is going to undo 25 years worth of gaming excellence. That it can't exist in the same universe because a few things are different. It's stupid, even more so than the game's stupid subtitle.

What does it take to please people, a different name? What would that accomplish? Rising is a solid looking action game that was conceived as a part of the Metal Gear universe, with the blessing of Kojima himself. It has legitimate connections to the series despite going in a slightly different direction, is in the hands of a developer that can do the gameplay justice and has Kojima Productions overseeing the project.

Last generation this game (graphics aside) would have been big. Now it's too over the top, too Japanese. It's sad.

Rynnec

The haters have been getting on my nerves as well. I understand having a franchise you're a fan of suddenly take a completely different turn than what's expected. The thing these people don't realize however, is that Kojima himself wasn't proud of the way the original Metal Gear Solid: Rising was turning out, and even canceled it before Platinum came and offered their services. Yeah, the original concept was arguably more unique, but Kojima couldn't find a way to deliver a satisfying result. The way people are reacting, you'd almost think this game is on par with DmC and Ninja Gaiden 3 on a franchise wrecking level, but in reality, Kojima's still involved as a producer, and is still in charge of the story stuff (far as I can tell) so it'll still be Metal Gear. There's also the fact that Rising is the start of a new era in MG, focusing on Raiden instead of Snake, so it's not like a gameplay change is unwarranted.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on March 22, 2012, 11:38:50 PM
Been on a bit of P* kick lately. I'm sure you've noticed. Anyway, I've been reading a lot of fan reactions about Metal Gear Rising, and I'm completely fucking dumbfounded by the hate it's been receiving. This post I found on Kotaku sums up my opinion on the matter perfectly:

QuoteThe reaction to Rising in general has completely blown my mind. I just don't understand gamers anymore.

People act like it's the end of the world, that a damn spin-off is going to undo 25 years worth of gaming excellence. That it can't exist in the same universe because a few things are different. It's stupid, even more so than the game's stupid subtitle.

What does it take to please people, a different name? What would that accomplish? Rising is a solid looking action game that was conceived as a part of the Metal Gear universe, with the blessing of Kojima himself. It has legitimate connections to the series despite going in a slightly different direction, is in the hands of a developer that can do the gameplay justice and has Kojima Productions overseeing the project.

Last generation this game (graphics aside) would have been big. Now it's too over the top, too Japanese. It's sad.
Man, I had to deal with people bitching over the comparison videos. It was "MGR has cartoon animation now" this and "the old version promised unique stealth" that. I saw no "unique" stealth in that comparison video, just a video that looked like an outdated version of the build of today. I also saw that Raiden hasn't been seen wielding two lightning blades like he did in the old video. Of course dual wielding ridiculous weapons adds ground breaking stealth feature, amirite. :sly:
Quote from: Rynnec on March 23, 2012, 02:06:41 AM
The haters have been getting on my nerves as well. I understand having a franchise you're a fan of suddenly take a completely different turn than what's expected. The thing these people don't realize however, is that Kojima himself wasn't proud of the way the original Metal Gear Solid: Rising was turning out, and even canceled it before Platinum came and offered their services. Yeah, the original concept was arguably more unique, but Kojima couldn't find a way to deliver a satisfying result. The way people are reacting, you'd almost think this game is on par with DmC and Ninja Gaiden 3 on a franchise wrecking level, but in reality, Kojima's still involved as a producer, and is still in charge of the story stuff (far as I can tell) so it'll still be Metal Gear. There's also the fact that Rising is the start of a new era in MG, focusing on Raiden instead of Snake, so it's not like a gameplay change is unwarranted.

It's a completely different era with a different name. The MGS series is over folks. That's like bitching about Metal Gear Solid not having 8 bit graphics.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

This also reminds me that Kojima series needs to move on. Stop being bullied by these damn fans. He should do Metal Gear Rising, flip "fans" the bird and then do whatever the hell he wants to do. I'd buy a romance sim from him just to be glad that he moved on and to rub it in those jackasses faces. Hey look bitches, I'm about to take Cindy out on a date. :sly:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Maybe something like Rising might have bothered me if I were a fan of the MGS franchise as it was, but since I'm not I'm really just excited for the game since I look at it more as a stand-alone hack n' slash action game from Platinum that stands on its own merits, which merely has "ties" to the MGS Universe. I suppose I can see why long-time fans would not like this direction at all, though, since MGS was always supposed to be different from the typical action game mentality, being that it popularized the aspect of stealth and sneaking around in gaming, rather than going in guns blazing....or I guess in this case swords blazing. ;)

Foggle

There aren't very many stealth OR hack 'n slash games these days, so I'm glad to see both genres getting represented well by a single series.

My problem is that no one complained about Rising being a sword action game two years ago, but now that Platinum is making it, suddenly it's "shit." Obnoxious "fans" think they know more about Metal Gear than Kojima...

Rynnec

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/340782/interviews/devil-angel-pioneer-the-truth-behind-devil-may-crys-unlikely-saviour/?page=1

I swear, everytime Tameem opens his mouth, he puts his foot in it. It's clear that he doesn't know anything about what made Devil May Cry so great. I understand his philosophy of "believe in what you're doing", and I get wanting to add stuff that appeals to him personally, but he should just create a new IP instead of dumping all his personal interests and appeal into a series where said interests wouldn't fit in with what's estabilished (It's like if Daisuke Ishiwatari worked on a Street Fighter game, and dumped all his appreciation for rock'n roll music and aesthetics there instead of creating Guilty Gear). Yeah, I'm sure the reason Capcom is even slapping the brand on this project in the first place is to sell more copies, but when said association with Devil May Cry is what's causing the backlash, then you're doing something wrong.

Also:

QuoteHow about this theory that he's modelled on you?

What can I say? He's a decade and a half younger than me, way better looking... The only thing he's got is black hair. And he's male. I didn't design the character. I didn't go to our designers and say, "I think it's a really good idea if we make the new Dante look like me, because I want to be in the game." They'd laugh at me. They'd throw me out the window.

Whatever you say Tam-Tam, whatever you say. ::)