Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on April 11, 2012, 07:05:07 PM
That, and I'm pretty sure that both of Ninja Theory's games bombed compared to Bayonetta and DMC 4.
I'm so fucking sick of people trying to make DmC look better by ragging on DMC 4, especially game "journalists." Yeah, some elements of 4 were pretty lazy, but it was still a fast-paced, fun, deep, beautiful game; way better than DmC appears to be in every regard.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Being the only DMC game that I've played in full, I found DMC4 to be kind of disappointing since Nero feels like a really underwhelming character to control with his slower speed compared to Dante and his limited weapons (the Devil Bringer arm doesn't make up for having only 1 weapon set, IMO). But if the game is not being judged against other DMC games (excluding 2, which is by far the worst in the series), its still one of the best action games of this generation by far, with a far better combat system than the various God of War clones out there, with or without Nero.

While I can certainly understand people putting the game down for being a noticeable step down from DMC1 and 3, I do think that people don't give the game enough credit for what it does right judged against contemporary action games of this generation. Its still got more to offer than any other action game I've played this generation aside from Ninja Gaiden II and Bayonetta.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on April 11, 2012, 07:14:25 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on April 11, 2012, 07:05:07 PM
That, and I'm pretty sure that both of Ninja Theory's games bombed compared to Bayonetta and DMC 4.
I'm so fucking sick of people trying to make DmC look better by ragging on DMC 4, especially game "journalists." Yeah, some elements of 4 were pretty lazy, but it was still a fast-paced, fun, deep, beautiful game; way better than DmC appears to be in every regard.
More asses to kick.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

What the hell? Nero is not slower than Dante.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Uh....Watch any gameplay video of DMC4. ANY video. Unless someone is executing MAX-Act/EX-Act flawlessly, or in Devil Trigger mode, Nero is most certainly slower than Dante in combat. Dante's sword-strikes are far quicker.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 11, 2012, 09:03:53 PM
Uh....Watch any gameplay video of DMC4. ANY video. Unless someone is executing MAX-Act/EX-Act flawlessly, or in Devil Trigger mode, Nero is most certainly slower than Dante in combat. Dante's sword-strikes are far quicker.
What?  :whuh:NO!

Spark Of Spirit

Looks like Fez is getting pretty good reviews.

Though some reviews are a bit weird. Like giving it a 4/5 despite not thinking the main game is very good. I'm a bit tired of "indie darlings" getting these inflated scores.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Doubt it's better than any of the Japanese games I've played this year.

Eddy

I've been looking forward to Fez. I just hope it's not a bore like Braid and Limbo.

Rynnec

Quote. It explores the idea of forgetting whether a game is ?good? or ?bad?, and instead encourages thinking of it as ?interesting? or ?not interesting?. It relishes the surreal moments that ?flawed? games unintentionally create. It brings games that challenge conventional ideas of ?good? out of the bargain bin and into the spotlight. It casts a skeptical eye on the Metacritic-trawling gamers of the world who stay in their safe, comfortable world of 8s, 9s and 10s and encourages them to take a risk, to explore the seedy underbelly of this art form they love so much, to diversify. It embraces the campy, the shattered, the rejected, the freakish, the dated, and the flat-out disastrous.

Uh, no. Games don't work like that, they aren't like movies. A good game is a good game. A bad one is a bad one. Simple as that.

Foggle

QuoteGames for play include: Deadly Premonition, Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, Extreme Paintbrawl, GoldenEye 007, Earth Defense Force 2017 and more.
QuoteGoldenEye 007
:wth:

Spark Of Spirit

Why did they use a picture of Deadly Premonition? It's a good game, and if its flaws were fixed it would be better. Same with Earth Defense Force (It's basically a PS1/N64 game made on the 360)... If they were bad, no one would be playing them. Unlike say, Rogue Warrior... which no one plays.

But then again, I don't really enjoy the "irony" of enjoying something that is bad in general. I'd rather spend my time enjoying things I like.

EDIT: GoldenEye?!? That's not even close to a bad game. Where's Sonic '06?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Haha, I don't much like Goldeneye 007, but it's far from a bad game, much less a bad game that deserves to be part of this exhibit.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Daxdiv

Fuck if I wanted to, I could go to this but I don't feel like it.