Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on April 15, 2012, 11:37:34 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 15, 2012, 11:14:02 PM
Quote from: Foggle on April 15, 2012, 10:46:44 PM
Egotistical cunt. If I was a game developer, I'd be nice to people so as to build trust with gamers and become friends with other devs. Don't see why he's being such a jerk; it will only impact him negatively in the long run.
What kind of games would you make, by the way :awesome:
If I was in any way talented/insanely rich? Non-gimmicky 3D platformers, beat 'em ups, hack 'n slashes, Doom/Serious Sam-style FPSs, Deus Ex-style RPGs, psychological horror games, run 'n gun side-scrolling shooters... good stuff like that. All running at 60 FPS and no DRM. :P
I'd do all of that except for maybe the horror games.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

I'd love to make a horror game that pretends to be a modern war FPS and then gradually descends into something resembling a combination of Amnesia and Eternal Darkness.

Spark Of Spirit

I'd buy Double Dragon and have the Double Dragon Advance team remake Double Dragon I, II, III, and Return/Super, then make a brand new Double Dragon V. Get the series back where it belongs.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on April 15, 2012, 11:46:33 PM
I'd love to make a horror game that pretends to be a modern war FPS and then gradually descends into something resembling a combination of Amnesia and Eternal Darkness.
I'd want to do basically the same with a Vietnam game.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 16, 2012, 12:03:57 AM
You mean ShellShock 2 Blood Trails? :awesome:

Eddy

Oh yeah, here's something great: Phil Fish insults all of Japanese gaming by saying it's shit. Meanwhile, Fez has some major glitches, some of which break the game and some people have been unable to even start the game because of a bug.

Makes a game for five years and no one catches a major game breaking bug.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on April 16, 2012, 12:30:27 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 16, 2012, 12:03:57 AM
You mean ShellShock 2 Blood Trails? :awesome:
Is that any good?

Also, good luck with not making a gimmicky platformer. I bet anyone here would lose their way when making their character. "Ow, I'm going to add this. Ow, I'm going to add this!

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 16, 2012, 12:23:29 PM
Is that any good?
No. It's probably the worst current gen FPS after Tunnel Rats (which, coincidentally, is also a Vietnam "horror" game).

QuoteAlso, good luck with not making a gimmicky platformer. I bet anyone here would lose their way when making their character. "Ow, I'm going to add this. Ow, I'm going to add this!
By "non-gimmicky," I mean that it wouldn't be a mini-game fest like Jak 3, Banjo-Tooie, and the Sly series. Platforming all the way through with a couple of other things to break up the monotony, but never enough to give it an identity crisis.

As far as the character goes, mine would just be a normal person defined by their personality instead of their looks... and no furry shit.

gunswordfist

The kind of platformer I want. Promise to not make it a collect a thon and you can go ahead and take my money

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This sounds like it would make for an interesting discussion topic. Perhaps later on I'll make an "If you were a lead game designer...." thread to see just what types of games people want to make.

Personally, I can admit that I have neither the knowledge or the talent to make a great game, but I have my own ideas and if I WERE talented enough at computer programming and design in regards to writing, coding, and scripting video games, I would be all over a platformer/action game hybrid. However it would be done in such a way in which the two elements would be completely intermixed, rather than just being some basic platforming segments followed by some basic hack n' slash or beat-em-up or shoot-em-up segments. If that was the case, I might as well just pick one over the other, since combining the 2 into a hybrid game means combining elements of their respective formulas into one seamless experience.

Anyways, the game I'd make would probably be a 2D side-scroller with NES Ninja Gaiden II's platforming sensibilities combined with the combat depth of the XBOX360 Ninja Gaiden II, and I'd throw in some creative design inspired by other platformers ranging from Mario and Sonic to Donkey Kong Country and Rocket Knight Adventures for good measure.

Another game I'd love to make would be a "New Ninja Gaiden" of sorts, in the same vein of NSMBW, but in this case applied to the 2D NG formula. Except I'd of course balance out the game to support 4 players and have a heavy emphasis on team-work when playing on co-op while also appropriately adjusting the difficulty and mechanics for a great single-player experience as well.

Yeah, I know that pretty much every idea I have involves Ninja Gaiden in some way, but you shouldn't be surprised by now considering that its my favorite video game series of all time. :awesome:

gunswordfist

I've thinking, I'd love to make a 3D hack n slash platformer that has the hero use attacks to platform, so the combat and platforming can be one. (even makes if that makes sense) Also, the e.emies would know how to platform so those two elements would stay seperated. Anyway, this will be continued in the other thread.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 16, 2012, 02:20:59 PM
The kind of platformer I want. Promise to not make it a collect a thon and you can go ahead and take my money
Hell naw, I wouldn't make a collect-a-thon. There'd be hidden collectables to unlock secret content, though.

Let's completely move this discussion to the other thread now...

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on April 16, 2012, 05:48:44 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 16, 2012, 02:20:59 PM
Hell naw, I wouldn't make a collect-a-thon. There'd be hidden collectables to unlock secret content, though.

Let's completely move this discussion to the other thread now...
Ok

Spark Of Spirit

Everything about this video aside from release dates is wrong and this is the worst writer at IGN.

I enjoy how they once again skimmed over the better games in the series. It's like everyone over 30 only likes arcade DD1 and has never played any other game in thes eries. (Or worse, when they think the arcade DD2 is somehow better than the NES one!)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

QuoteBeamdog founder and overseer of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Trent Oster is done with Nintendo, due to a number of frustrations with their recent MDK2 WiiWare release.

Oster stated earlier on Twitter that, "Our previous experience with Nintendo was enough to ensure there will not be another." Later, he then adds specifics -- "My problems with Nintendo are: requiring 6000 unit sales before payment, a certification process that took us 9 months and a 40mb limit. Nintendo isn't a good platform for developers, the Wii is a toy, not a console."

Wow. Releasing a game on WiiWare sounds like an awful experience for devs. Last sentence is dumb, but I can certainly see why this dude would be angry enough to say something like that.