Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Cue the "Nintendo cannot hold onto 3rd party support" crowd in 3...2...

Some of those requirements are a bit rough, but the cheap shot at the end was rather uncalled for. I don't see how the Wii is any less of a gaming console than the other two, but hey, whatever.

Foggle

6000 unit sales before payment sounds extremely unreasonable, especially since it's WiiWare, where I'm pretty sure games do much worse than they would on XBLA, PSN, Steam, etc.

The cheap shot is uncalled for but also understandable IMO.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on April 17, 2012, 03:44:14 PM
QuoteBeamdog founder and overseer of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Trent Oster is done with Nintendo, due to a number of frustrations with their recent MDK2 WiiWare release.

Oster stated earlier on Twitter that, "Our previous experience with Nintendo was enough to ensure there will not be another." Later, he then adds specifics -- "My problems with Nintendo are: requiring 6000 unit sales before payment, a certification process that took us 9 months and a 40mb limit. Nintendo isn't a good platform for developers, the Wii is a toy, not a console."

Wow. Releasing a game on WiiWare sounds like an awful experience for devs. Last sentence is dumb, but I can certainly see why this dude would be angry enough to say something like that.
I agree with the last sentence. :sly:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

This is why manchildren shouldn't make financial decisions.

This is a business. It doesn't matter how you personally feel, you simply don't pass up money for some stupid fanboy delusion. Or need I remind you of the 100+ companies out of business this generation because of similarly stupid decisions.

By the way, the WiiWare restrictions are not on the e-shop. But yeah, let's stick to the past and hold grudges instead of growing up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 17, 2012, 06:21:15 PM

This is a business. It doesn't matter how you personally feel, you simply don't pass up money for some stupid fanboy delusion. Or need I remind you of the 100+ companies out of business this generation because of similarly stupid decisions.
But the guy isn't being a fanboy... he was angered by Nintendo's business practices - which supposedly are different from their competitors - and gave them a fair shake, then he got burned. His reactionary statement is dumb but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a right to dislike the way Nintendo handles their digital distribution.

By the way, the WiiWare restrictions are not on the e-shop. But yeah, let's stick to the past and hold grudges instead of growing up.
It's his call if he doesn't want to work with Nintendo anymore. It's possible that he'll change his mind once the Wii-U comes out and the restrictions are gone.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 17, 2012, 06:38:59 PM

But the guy isn't being a fanboy... he was angered by Nintendo's business practices - which supposedly are different from their competitors - and gave them a fair shake, then he got burned. His reactionary statement is dumb but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a right to dislike the way Nintendo handles their digital distribution.
Except that all of those issues are massively outdated. Renegade Kid put out Mutant Mudds on the e-shop and was in certification for like a week. They're already profiting. The game is bigger than 40mb. The fact that he's hashing out old complaints that are no longer relevant without researching the business that he works in and passing up money because Nintendo makes "toys" and not "consoles" is incredibly bad business. It's also beyond old and tired.

It's his call if he doesn't want to work with Nintendo anymore. It's possible that he'll change his mind once the Wii-U comes out and the restrictions are gone.
I doubt it. With a mentality like that they'll join that master-list of companies soon enough. And no one will see the crash coming...
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

But the Wii port of MDK2 was released less than a year ago. Those problems may be outdated now but it's not like Beamdog hasn't made a WiiWare game since 2008. Their bad experience was very recent, so even if Nintendo has changed their policy since then, they'd likely be apprehensive of working with them again, which I find very understandable. For example, Origin hasn't had spyware bundled with it since last year, but I still refuse to install it.

They've apparently had pretty good luck with developing for Windows and Mac, so I doubt they'll go down in flames.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 17, 2012, 06:50:06 PM
But the Wii port of MDK2 was released less than a year ago. Those problems may be outdated now but it's not like Beamdog hasn't made a WiiWare game since 2008. Their bad experience was very recent, so even if Nintendo has changed their policy since then, they'd likely be apprehensive of working with them again, which I find very understandable. For example, Origin hasn't had spyware bundled with it since last year, but I still refuse to install it.

They've apparently had pretty good luck with developing for Windows and Mac, so I doubt they'll go down in flames.
That's all well and good, but they're a business. You can't make business decisions based on personal opinions, doing that will lead to a major loss of money which is what every business needs to make.

When you have a job, as you know, you sometimes have to do things you don't want to in order to make money. That includes working with people you don't like. Gaming is literally, again, the only business where I see people who work in it burn bridges at the drop of a hat, make products without an audience, and burn money on ridiculous games that need to sell millions to even break even. The game industry is suffering because of those things, heck it's why third party exclusives are now all but dead, and the mentality behind these third parties needs to change.

That said, WiiWare and it's limit were indeed awful, but we've known all it's issues since 2006. If this guy did his research, then he probably just wouldn't have bothered in the first place saving himself a lot of money and time. But burning bridges is never a smart business move.

Foggle

Yeah, they're pretty stupid not to work with Nintendo again and even stupider to bash them publicly. But this might blow over; these guys are ex-BioWare, not Phil Fish. Hopefully they'll port their remake of Baldur's Gate to the Wii-U, since it'd probably work well with the tablet controller.

Although I honestly didn't even know that WiiWare had such restrictions until reading this guy's statement, and I didn't know they'd gotten rid of them until you told me.

Spark Of Spirit

I hope he changes his mind, too. I don't like when companies limit audiences.

Everything to everyone, I always say.

Eddy

No matter what way you look at it, though, Nintendo's 40MB limit for WiiWare is absurd. It's prevented them from getting games they otherwise would have gotten like Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Super Meat Boy, and Sonic 4 Episode II.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, WiiWare was pretty terrible. It missed out on a ton of XBLA/PSN games because of it.

I'm just glad Nintendo learned with the 3DS and fixed all its problems.

Rynnec

That video in a nutshel: "HEY GUYZ, LOOK AT US! AREN'T WE HIP? ARROW TO THE KNEE JOKE HER DERP!"

Kiddington

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on April 18, 2012, 01:04:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpKKrwGe6fg

Us gamers huh guys?

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I HATE CBS

Ugh. I can still feel myself groaning inside. Just, ugh.