Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I think my neighbors heard that groan...

Spark Of Spirit

I hate videogame jokes for that exact reason. They just never work outside of context or make sense.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

I'm watching my father play Castlevania Lord Of Shadows and... it doesn't seem very much like a Castlevania game. It's pretty slow, there are way too many puzzles, no proper platforming, and the tone is so dry.

It just seems like a generic modern game to me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

If you want a proper 3D Castlevania game, play the first Devil May Cry. There's not a whole lot of platforming, but it's better and more faithful to the classics than any of that series' polygonal entries.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 18, 2012, 11:43:58 AM
I hate videogame jokes for that exact reason. They just never work outside of context or make sense.
For a funny video game reference done right, see this cutscene from R&C Going Commando. Cracked up the first time I saw that.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Foggle on April 18, 2012, 11:56:30 AM
For a funny video game reference done right, see this cutscene from R&C Going Commando. Cracked up the first time I saw that.

When I first played the game, I got a good laugh because I always thought that Naughty Dog and Insomniac were pretty close, with both devs sneaking in references to their games and that was another fine reference to their friends. I still got a laugh visiting that scene again.

Spark Of Spirit

It's odd to say, but I think a 3D Castlevania game should take after Super Mario 64. The whole interconnected castle with action levels inside would work a lot better.

Oh yeah, videogame jokes in videogames are usually much better than in other mediums.

I also like that cutscene, the R&C games usually have some good jokes though GC and UYA are by far the best about it.

gunswordfist

I actually don't know what the arrow in the knee joke is. Yes, I suck.

It's still not as bad as when people play games from the 90s and act like the controller is a driving wheel.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 18, 2012, 12:08:43 PM
No, you rock. Just try to forget about that awful meme...

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on April 18, 2012, 12:13:25 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 18, 2012, 12:08:43 PM
No, you rock. Just try to forget about that awful meme...
:D Yeah, I was thinking that was the case.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Eddy

Speaking of gamer humor, I just wanted to say: the show Level Up on Cartoon Network is the worst shit ever.

Kiddington

Quote from: Eddy on April 18, 2012, 08:43:05 PM
Speaking of gamer humor, I just wanted to say: the show Level Up on Cartoon Network is the worst shit ever.

I have yet to find it within myself to stomach an entire episode.

It might honestly be worse than Out of Jimmy's Head. I mean, even I didn't think that was possible.

Rynnec

I watched bits and pieces of one episode.

I hated it.

Foggle

Oh Christ, Prey 2 might be switching developers. And the last time a Bethesda-published title switched developers, the game was given to... Rebellion... :cry:

Foggle

Killing Floor players have pestered Tripwire to add a playable female character to the game for years. Well, they finally are, and the only way to get her is to buy the entire game again. No patch or DLC; this character is exclusive to the special edition. This special edition is being released 3 years after KF first came out, meaning that any of the 1 million+ people who already own the game and want to play as the new character will have to pay another $20+ just to do so.

This doesn't really affect me since I will never play as anyone other than Mr. Foster, but this stunt is still pretty insulting to their currently existing (and relatively large) fanbase, IMO.

EDIT: And internet rage prevails once again!

Commode

Why do people care so much that the Wii U likely won't be as powerful as the PS4/Nextbox?  Shouldn't the less power than PS3/360 Wii have already taken that argument and shoved it in their faces at just how wrong they are?  I don't understand people writing it off, when we've been shown time and time again that it simply doesn't matter.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.