Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The reason is because so many people ARE that ignorant and haven't even bothered to play the good Wii games that prove that graphics don't mean shit in the long run. I have plenty of friends who still have the delusion that the Wii is just for kids and nothing it has to offer can compare to their Call of Duty or Uncharted. I've argued with them before that it has a ton of great games that trump either of those games in terms of both gameplay and content, but when I mention the great games it has, including ones intended for mature audiences, I typically get responses like, "lol! No More Heroes? What's that? lol! Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns? Aren't those games for kids?"

And thus with such stupidity so prominent among most modern gamers, that's why you get people making comments like that about the WiiU and how important graphics are. Because people are stupid. Its as simple as that.

Spark Of Spirit

Because somewhere along the line "hardcore gamers" became graphic snobs (which is ironic because they always seem to make excuses for avoiding playing on the PC) far more infatuated with how a game looks than how it plays. Just check out the NeoGAF announcement thread for NSMB2 where most of the whining (and it's a LOT of whining) because of how the game looks without any commentary on how it'll play.

The truth of the matter is the Wii-U will run every single engine that the PS4/720 will run unlike the Wii which only didn't get them because it couldn't run them. The differences will come down to superficialities like running a game in low and high on a PC. At that point you're really just nitpicking. Not to mention the Wii-U has the tablet controller which will stream in game stuff to a second screen which requires a lot of power. If it was as powerful as those systems it would cost a lot more.

Next gen is going to be about what first parties do, since third parties will probably just be on everything.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In that case, Nintendo has it in the bag. They have a history of great first party support. Microsoft has by far the worst first party line-up, even if you count the original XBOX and the 360 together. Aside from Halo, Gears of War, and a few exclusives here and there that never sold very well, what else have they ever had to offer? Also, Fable is garbage, so nobody better mention that.

As for Sony, they aren't that much better than Microsoft in that department, or at least not anymore. The PS1 and PS2 both had a great number of good first party games. I can probably count the number of noteworthy PS3 exclusives on my fingers.

Now combine what both the PS3 and 360 have to offer in first party support, and then compare it to the Wii, and it STILL has multiple times more games to offer in terms of both quality and quantity than both of the HD consoles.

Rynnec

First parties have always been Nintendo's strong suit. Halo's going to die out without Bungie, so Microsoft only has Gears of War. I'm sure Sony will create a new first party IP for the PS4 along with God of War (it's already announced a fourth game).

Foggle

You guys know how I feel about this, but I have changed my opinion considerably since last month. While I would love to see every console sporting some really beefy hardware (though obviously not enough to make them cost 599 US dollars apiece), the games themselves are more important than their technical aspects. Ever since the days of the 2600, developers have worked around the limitations of the available platforms to craft the finest experiences possible without compromising their original visions. Limitations like those led to the creation of such masterpieces as Super Mario Bros and Metal Gear. When devs don't feel limited by the hardware, they end up churning out shit like Heavy Rain and Final Fantasy 13. While I'd love to see fragfests with 1000 enemies generated on screen at once, godlike processing speed wouldn't spawn things like that... it'd dredge up yet another modern FPS, only this time every bead of sweat and pore of skin would be rendered in real time.

At the end of the day, the hardware itself is just a means to an end; how it's used is the important part.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 21, 2012, 06:25:28 PM
Also, Fable is garbage, so nobody better mention that.
And it's also on the PC. ;)

talonmalon333

The funny thing is that, in my opinion, the 360 and PS3 look realistic enough to not become terribly dated, at least for a while. So I don't have any issue with the Wii U merely equaling them.

I need a good gaming PC. I think that, a Wii U, and 3DS (which I already own) will have me set for years.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 21, 2012, 06:47:18 PM
I need a good gaming PC. I think that, a Wii U, and 3DS (which I already own) will have me set for years.
That's all you really need. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

The thing is, the PS360 graphics still look pretty good. A solid bump up from that (which is where the Wii-U is heading) is really more than enough. Especially if the extra bump is used to focus more on technical issues to make the games run better.

The general public also doesn't even seem to care as the best selling games this gen are Wii Sports and NSMB games. It's about time companies stop catering to snobs and start catering to the majority again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I can probably count the number of noteworthy PS3 exclusives on my fingers.
Here, let me do that for you.

Ratchet and Clank: Tools Of Destruction
Ratchet and Clank: Quest For Booty
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Yakuza 5 (hopefully)
Yakuza Kenzan
Valkyria Chronicles
Metal Gear Solid 4
Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time (hopefully)

Oh, look. Ten games. You can count them on your fingers!

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot about Siren! Alright, you're gonna' have to add a toe. ;)

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 21, 2012, 06:57:55 PM
(which is where the Wii-U is heading)

Plenty of sources are also saying the Wii U, overall, isn't as powerful as those two... But even that sounds like enough power if you ask me.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 21, 2012, 07:01:20 PM

Plenty of sources are also saying the Wii U, overall, isn't as powerful as those two... But even that sounds like enough power if you ask me.
That tech demo they showed off a while back looked sharper than any 360 or PS3 game I've ever seen, iirc.

Spark Of Spirit

The Wii-U will not be as powerful as the PS4/720, but it will be a solid bump up from PS360. It will basically be like the Dreamcast in relation to the Gamecube. Only since it will run all the same engines, it shouldn't miss out on as much.

also, rumors are that the Wii-U line up at E3 is very "surprising". That should be nice.

Quote from: Foggle on April 21, 2012, 06:58:52 PM
I can probably count the number of noteworthy PS3 exclusives on my fingers.
Here, let me do that for you.

Ratchet and Clank: Tools Of Destruction
Ratchet and Clank: Quest For Booty
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Yakuza 5 (hopefully)
Yakuza Kenzan
Valkyria Chronicles
Metal Gear Solid 4
Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time (hopefully)

Oh, look. Ten games. You can count them on your fingers!
I have all of these except Yakuza 4 (It's hard to find never mind for a good price) and MGS4 from what are out already. They're good games, but I'm glad we didn't buy the system just for me or I would have been totally let down.

If Sega makes those series multiplatform next gen, I definitely won't regret skipping Sony systems.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 21, 2012, 07:03:00 PM

That tech demo they showed off a while back looked sharper than any 360 or PS3 game I've ever seen, iirc.

At the same time, it was a tech demo, made purely for visuals. ;)

Foggle

My purchase was justified by Yakuza 4 and Kenzan. 4 has the best characters and Kenzan has the best story I've ever experienced in a video game; not to mention the utterly badass soundtracks and great combat system (in 4, anyway).

Oh yeah, can you link me to that GAF thread about NSMB2? Seeing some good rage fuel tonight would be nice.

Avaitor

There were 3 R&C games on the PS3? Didn't even know that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/