Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Foggle

QuoteWhy is Platinum Games even with sega still? easily one of the worst publishers, I really hope they ditch them (along with tri-ace ditching them after they fucking releasedd resonance of fate the same day as FF13)

While konami wouldn't be my top choice (lordy have they butchered the silent hill series...) they'd still be a step up from fucking sega, hopefully PG's metal gear revengance will get them out of sega's retarded grasp

I don't really feel as... strongly... as this guy does, but he does have a point. While they are niche games, MadWorld, Vanquish, Binary Domain, House of the Dead Overkill, and every Yakuza game have all bombed hard in the west partially due to lack of marketing. We'll be lucky if America even gets the Anarchy Reigns demo or a single one of those new trailers "officially."

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 24, 2012, 12:11:43 PM
QuoteWhy is Platinum Games even with sega still? easily one of the worst publishers, I really hope they ditch them (along with tri-ace ditching them after they fucking releasedd resonance of fate the same day as FF13)

While konami wouldn't be my top choice (lordy have they butchered the silent hill series...) they'd still be a step up from fucking sega, hopefully PG's metal gear revengance will get them out of sega's retarded grasp

I don't really feel as... strongly... as this guy does, but he does have a point. While they are niche games, MadWorld, Vanquish, Binary Domain, House of the Dead Overkill, and every Yakuza game have all bombed hard in the west partially due to lack of marketing. We'll be lucky if America even gets the Anarchy Reigns demo or a single one of those new trailers "officially."
HOTD:O actually did pretty well, IIRC. Madworld had a ton of commercials, same as the Conduit. The Conduit did decently, MadWorld didn't. Vanquish and Binary Domain, yeah that was entirely their fault for terrible advertising. Yakuza was never going to catch on, man. We're lucky we even got any past the first one (which HAD a crazy big campaign that flopped), the audience just isn't there.

Also, if it wasn't for Sega, none of those games would have even gotten published in the first place. I mean, seriously, Konami?!? Konami has the worst advertising of any big company. They didn't even make commercials for the MGS games. Sega might make a lot of mistakes, but I don't see anyone else trying even nearly half as hard as they do.

I mean, Konami?!? Really? Why not just say Capcom so they can cancel the game fans want, blame them for it, then mock them every chance they get? As far as third party Japanese games released over here, Sega is pretty much the best shot any of them has.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 24, 2012, 12:23:48 PM
HOTD:O actually did pretty well, IIRC.
Really? I always assumed it bombed, since the devs started churning out shovelware after its release. But I guess they could have done that of their own volition, as it would admittedly make them a lot more money than legitimately good games would.

QuoteMadworld had a ton of commercials
Really? Huh.

QuoteYakuza was never going to catch on, man.
I guess not everyone is as big a fan of mafia fiction as I am. :lol:

QuoteAlso, if it wasn't for Sega, none of those games would have even gotten published in the first place.
Well, Sega owns RGG Studio, so yeah. ;) I think Vanquish and Bayonetta (the latter of which actually did really well) could have gotten published by someone else, though.

QuoteI mean, seriously, Konami?!? Konami has the worst advertising of any big company. They didn't even make commercials for the MGS games. Sega might make a lot of mistakes, but I don't see anyone else trying even nearly half as hard as they do.

I mean, Konami?!? Really? Why not just say Capcom so they can cancel the game fans want, blame them for it, then mock them every chance they get? As far as third party Japanese games released over here, Sega is pretty much the best shot any of them has.
Yeah, I absolutely disagree with him on that point. Konami is terrible. :devil:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 24, 2012, 12:32:55 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 24, 2012, 12:23:48 PM
HOTD:O actually did pretty well, IIRC.
Really? I always assumed it bombed, since the devs started churning out shovelware after its release. But I guess they could have done that of their own volition, as it would admittedly make them a lot more money than legitimately good games would.
I remember Sega being really surprised with the sales. It was the Move version bombed.

QuoteMadworld had a ton of commercials
Really? Huh.
This one
This one
This one

The commentator one was edited with those different sections, but I saw them all on TV. IIRC, MadWorld eventually did decently, but I don't see how anyone would have done better for it.

QuoteYakuza was never going to catch on, man.
I guess not everyone is as big a fan of mafia fiction as I am. :lol:
The Yakuza is just not mainstream here unlike other Japanese elements like ninja or samurai. Not even giant robots are big here.

QuoteAlso, if it wasn't for Sega, none of those games would have even gotten published in the first place.
Well, Sega owns RGG Studio, so yeah. ;) I think Vanquish and Bayonetta (the latter of which actually did really well) could have gotten published by someone else, though.
I still think Vanquish was a missed opportunity. Some commercials that have it rip on Gears for being too slow would have been enough.

QuoteI mean, seriously, Konami?!? Konami has the worst advertising of any big company. They didn't even make commercials for the MGS games. Sega might make a lot of mistakes, but I don't see anyone else trying even nearly half as hard as they do.

Yeah, I absolutely disagree with him on that point. Konami is terrible. :devil:
I can't even remember the last time I even saw Konami advertise anything outside of the internet.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 24, 2012, 12:55:49 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 24, 2012, 12:53:42 PM
It was the Move version bombed.
I wonder why... :awesome:
They should have made it a Wii-U launch game. I don't want to play it with inferior motion controls.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

I don't even think Capcom will be around in 2015.

Spark Of Spirit

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 24, 2012, 01:15:22 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 24, 2012, 01:11:18 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 24, 2012, 11:52:05 AM
The topic title in a nutshell
The best response
He never asked for that.

But srsly, phuk iOS "gaming."
It might be because I detest phones, but I have played some of the games on a friend's phone and I just don't get it. Awful controls, clunky interface, and they just plain aren't fun to play.

The ironic part is how the gaming industry regularly attacks the Wii, but raises this dross up when every problem the Wii has is 500 times worse on the phones. At least the Wii has controls that function.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 24, 2012, 01:21:37 PM
The ironic part is how the gaming industry regularly attacks the Wii, but raises this dross up when every problem the Wii has is 500 times worse on the phones. At least the Wii has controls that function.
The gaming industry is utterly clueless. Constant reference to the Wii as a "children's console" and frequent exclamations of "PC gaming is dead!" are enough to prove that.