Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

http://www.gamespot.com/features/the-customer-is-not-always-right-6379489/ Yeah because what the consumers want<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<art. ::)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Ugh, give me a break.

Games cost millions to make = the customer better be right or you're living on the street
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be fair, I kind of agree with the author about the flashlight thing with DOOM 3, being that unlike the first 2 games, the 3rd game was a horror and action game hybrid, and is one of the few games that I've played that successfully combines both elements. That said, stuff like only being able to hold your flashlight by itself and risking not having your gun at the ready was a huge contributor to that scare factor, and as someone who's all about gameplay I actually liked it that way. I mean, yes, having the flashlight surmounted to the gun is a more practical thing to do in both video game and even real life logic, but I liked having to make that tough choice, as it really helped add to the overall creepy feeling of DOOM 3, and either way it was never meant to be a pure action shooter like the first 2 games, so I think it worked for that game, personally. Still, I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't also enjoy a more pure-action oriented DOOM 3 in the style of the classic games.

Anyways, everything else the author said is pretty much everything that turns me away from modern game critics/journalists, they just don't seem to get what makes games great. Games are great for how interesting they are to play, not just how interesting they are to look at (and people overrate the hell out of stories in most games, anyways).

gunswordfist

From what it sounds like, this Doom 3 remake that I've never even heard of until this article is trying to be more action-orientated. If that's the case, then there should be no complaints about that sense it's its focus.

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You know, for a game called Tomb Raider, this trailer and all previous footage of this game have certainly had a severe lack of any actual tombs, let alone raiding any of them. :>

Seriously, though, this trailer is yet another of many embodiment of what I don't like about modern games, especially when you compare this to the classic games. I can understand wanting to take Laura Croft more seriously than the cheesy iterations of her in the PS1 games, but that doesn't have to come at the expense of the whole game abandoning any of the fun adventure elements of the previous games. I mean, I haven't played a TR game since the 3rd one on the PS3, and while I never actually beat any of them, I enjoyed them for their sense of exploration and adventure, with emphasis on exploring the tombs and ancient ruins and such. This game seems to have none of those elements, and it honestly seems to have no real attachment to anything Tomb Raider related other than its name and the fact that its main character is called Laura Croft. If they are going to make such a blatant Uncharted rip-off, I think I'd rather just play Uncharted instead, even if I'm not a fan of that series, either. At least that one started that way and was meant to be a movie game.

Rynnec

Am I the only one bothered by how Lara is portrayed in these trailers? She's scared and helpless in most of them, this is starting to look like Other M levels of Chickification, it's borderline creepy even. It's almost like they're fetishizing her torment. Hell, the entire game looks like it's taking itself too seriously. Aren't the stories in Tomb Raider supposed to be cheesy and nonsensical (like the Indiana Jones movies)? This seems to be going for the typical "Darker and edgier" approach.

Speaking of fetishization of violence:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/30/opinion-what-the-hell-is-with-that-hitman-trailer

Okay, I can see why some people would feel uncomfortable with that trailer, but if it were men Agent 47 were killing in that trailer, no one would bat an eyelash (and indeed, there is another trailer in that article that has Agent 47 killing men in arguably more brutal ways). The whole "leather dominatrix nuns" bothers me, not because of sexism or whatever, but because it made the whole thing look rather campy, when everything else about the game points to it being rather serious in tone. It would have been better if they were wearing their habits through the entire trailer.

Foggle

The overall tone of the Tomb Raider reboot is what bothers me most. They turned a lighthearted Indiana Jones-inspired series about treasure hunting and shooting dinosaurs into some grotesque horror story where Lara rips rusty nails out of her abdomen and dodges rape attempts. I just can't get with that.

Quote from: Rynnec on June 02, 2012, 08:11:55 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/30/opinion-what-the-hell-is-with-that-hitman-trailer

Okay, I can see why some people would feel uncomfortable with that trailer, but if it were men Agent 47 were killing in that trailer, no one would bat an eyelash (and indeed, there is another trailer in that article that has Agent 47 killing men in arguably more brutal ways). The whole "leather dominatrix nuns" bothers me, not because of sexism or whatever, but because it made the whole thing look rather campy, when everything else about the game points to it being rather serious in tone. It would have been better if they were wearing their habits through the entire trailer.
Hitman has been loaded with camp since day 1 and hypersexualization since Contracts (or, arguably, Silent Assassin). Anyone genuinely surprised by that trailer probably isn't a fan of the series to begin with.

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on June 02, 2012, 09:14:13 PM
The overall tone of the Tomb Raider reboot is what bothers me most. They turned a lighthearted Indiana Jones-inspired series about treasure hunting and shooting dinosaurs into some grotesque horror story where Lara rips rusty nails out of her abdomen and dodges rape attempts. I just can't get with that.

Not too mention it's completely disgusting, and not in a good way. I don't mind Lara getting dirty on her adventures, but for gods sake make it so that it doesn't look so damn creepy.

Quote from: Rynnec on June 02, 2012, 08:11:55 PM

Hitman has been loaded with camp since day 1 and hypersexualization since Contracts (or, arguably, Silent Assassin). Anyone genuinely surprised by that trailer probably isn't a fan of the series to begin with.

The girl writing that article mentioned that she thought the game looks good otherwise. I think this is just another case of another easily offended person making mountains out of molehills (seriously, just read that bit before the second video embed. Talk about making wild assumptions).

Spark Of Spirit

Tomb Raider = Exploration

So obviously this being the current game industry:

Tomb Raider = Uncharted

Not to mention everything else wrong with what they're doing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on June 02, 2012, 09:26:17 PM
Not too mention it's completely disgusting, and not in a good way. I don't mind Lara getting dirty on her adventures, but for gods sake make it so that it doesn't look so damn creepy.
"Disturbing" is probably what they're going for. That's all well and good, but why did it have to happen to a series that's been established as light and campy like Tomb Raider? Is it a rule that video game reboots have to crap all over what made the original titles great or something? I mean, really, every single one I can think of (Sonic '06, DmC, etc.) completely misses the point of its respective franchise.

Quote(seriously, just read that bit before the second video embed. Talk about making wild assumptions).
Complete and utter trash; exactly what I've come to expect from IGN. You're not supposed to "interpret" Hitman. It doesn't make any statements or assertions. :-\

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 02, 2012, 09:41:20 PM
Tomb Raider = Exploration

So obviously this being the current game industry:

Tomb Raider = Uncharted

Not to mention everything else wrong with what they're doing.
Having it play like Uncharted is bad, yes, but that's the least of my problems with the TR reboot. Attempted rape should not be a gameplay element. Ever.

Spark Of Spirit

But then how would she be mai waifu?

gunswordfist

I thought Tomb Raider's absence from since the last video they showed of the game was because they were doing a major rehaul of the game due to fan backlash. Guess I was wrong. I miss being excited about sequels.

Foggle

Crytek is as good as dead.

It's safe to say that TimeSplitters 4 will probably never happen now. :cry:

Rynnec