Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosalinas Spare Wand

The Kotaku comments make me rage more than that shitty origins story. Feminists need to fuck off already.

Spark Of Spirit

No retail release.  :-\

Come on, Crytek. At the very least put out a HD collection for the PS3/360/Wii-U with online multiplayer for each game. I'd rather that then them just wasting the series.

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on June 11, 2012, 07:29:14 PM
The Kotaku comments make me rage more than that shitty origins story. Feminists need to fuck off already.
The thing that bothers me is the apparent rape scene at the start of the game. Is that really needed?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote"She's definitely the hero but-- you're kind of like her helper," he said. "When you see her have to face these challenges, you start to root for her in a way that you might not root for a male character."
whuh

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 11, 2012, 07:30:30 PM
Come on, Crytek. At the very least put out a HD collection for the PS3/360/Wii-U with online multiplayer for each game.
Don't forget Steam. $15 downloadable versions of all three games (or even just Future Perfect) with online multiplayer would be pretty awesome.

The thing that bothers me is the apparent rape scene at the start of the game. Is that really needed?
No, it's not needed. That shit needs to stay out of video games.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Absolutely not. Rape is a lazy writing tool for hacks who can't write good inner turmoil for a character.

Honestly, this game sounds far worse than what Other M did for Samus, or what Final Fight Streetwise did for the Metro City crew.

Rynnec

Come on, Crytek. At the very least put out a HD collection for the PS3/360/Wii-U with online multiplayer for each game. I'd rather that then them just wasting the series.

How much would it cost for them to make a Timesplitters HD Collection?

Foggle

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on June 11, 2012, 07:46:28 PM
Absolutely not. Rape is a lazy writing tool for hacks who can't write good inner turmoil for a character.
Agreed.

Which is why Nasu is trash.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on June 11, 2012, 07:34:15 PM
Quote"She's definitely the hero but-- you're kind of like her helper," he said. "When you see her have to face these challenges, you start to root for her in a way that you might not root for a male character."
whuh
Waifu.

Come on, Crytek. At the very least put out a HD collection for the PS3/360/Wii-U with online multiplayer for each game.
Don't forget Steam. $15 downloadable versions of all three games (or even just Future Perfect) with online multiplayer would be pretty awesome.
You're right! Steam goes without saying. We need more HD collections of PS2-era games.

No, it's not needed. That shit needs to stay out of video games.
I can deal with all the other crazy sexualization, but that I just don't understand. This isn't a movie, rape is meant only for dramatic effect. You know how you get dramatic effects in video games? Through the actual game. The sequence could literally be anything else and it would have the same effect in gameplay, that it's added makes it seem trivial.. and rape is not a trivial thing.

Yes, yes, it's a video game. But you know what I like doing in games? NOT THINKING ABOUT RAPE.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on June 11, 2012, 07:49:09 PM

How much would it cost for them to make a Timesplitters HD Collection?
Apparently (from third hand word), HD collections are extremely easy to make for any 3D game since they only need to up everything in the game and possibly take out glitches and bugs. They're supposed to be really easy to make... for everyone except Konami.

Square probably isn't doing it because it would make them look bad (older games having so much more meat to them), while everyone else seems to be moving towards them for easy products.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 11, 2012, 07:53:57 PM
I can deal with all the other crazy sexualization, but that I just don't understand. This isn't a movie, rape is meant only for dramatic effect. You know how you get dramatic effects in video games? Through the actual game. The sequence could literally be anything else and it would have the same effect in gameplay, that it's added makes it seem trivial.. and rape is not a trivial thing.

Yes, yes, it's a video game. But you know what I like doing in games? NOT THINKING ABOUT RAPE.
Agreed. You can certainly argue that the old games were sexualized too, but that was just the character herself... not the violence involving her. This just seems really sick to me.

To be fair, I wouldn't have a problem with rape in a video game if it were in a straight-up horror title, implied instead instead of shown, and used as a justification for gameplay (i.e. hiding, running, etc.). But not how it's being included in TR.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 11, 2012, 08:01:11 PM
Apparently (from third hand word), HD collections are extremely easy to make for any 3D game since they only need to up everything in the game and possibly take out glitches and bugs. They're supposed to be really easy to make... for everyone except Konami.
Don't forget Capcom. I haven't experienced any of the problems myself, but apparently the DMC HD Collection has some major issues.

Rynnec

quote author=Foggle link=topic=255.msg26093#msg26093 date=1339462158]
Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on June 11, 2012, 07:46:28 PM
Quote from: FoggleAgreed.

Which is why Nasu is trash.

Aren't FSN and Kara no Kyoukai (the third movie) his only works that have rape as a major plot point? From what I can tell, Tsukihime doesn't have anything on the subject, and Melty Blood, Witch on the Holy Night, and all of the Fate spinoffs are rape-free (thank god).

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 11, 2012, 07:53:57 PM
Quote from: Foggle on June 11, 2012, 07:34:15 PM
whuh
Waifu.

Speaking of which, I'm sure this new Lara will be really popular in Japan.

QuoteApparently (from third hand word), HD collections are extremely easy to make for any 3D game since they only need to up everything in the game and possibly take out glitches and bugs. They're supposed to be really easy to make... for everyone except Konami.

Square probably isn't doing it because it would make them look bad (older games having so much more meat to them), while everyone else seems to be moving towards them for easy products.

At least Konami's giving us Zone of the Enders HD Collection. Individual copies of the PS2 original's seem to cost as high as your average HD collection (at least the second one, which is the only one I've seen recently).

Spark Of Spirit

All I really want from Konami is a Contra HD Collection for the PS2 ones. Those should be really easy to do.

Also, to add to the topic, Why did I not see anyone mentioning this at E3? You'd figure a new game from the guy who created Harvest Moon would be a big deal.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on June 11, 2012, 08:08:10 PM
Aren't FSN and Kara no Kyoukai (the third movie) his only works that have rape as a major plot point? From what I can tell, Tsukihime doesn't have anything on the subject, and Melty Blood, Witch on the Holy Night, and all of the Fate spinoffs are rape-free (thank god).
Eh, I have no idea, I just get a kick out of trolling Type-Moon fans, tbh. (I don't actually think Nasu is trash, just a bit amateurish. :lol:) I heard that Tsukihime does use rape as character development as well, though.

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 11, 2012, 08:10:26 PM
Also, to add to the topic, Why did I not see anyone mentioning this at E3? You'd figure a new game from the guy who created Harvest Moon would be a big deal.

Looks pretty interesting, even though I haven't played the Harvest Moon/Ruin Factory games myself, I'll try keeping my eye out on this one. Hopefully if the game includes same-sex romance options, Natsume won't pussy out at the last second again.

Foggle

Rynnec