Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I don't regret never going there at all in the last few years. They really don't deserve the clicks.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I've found that the best GAMEZ JOURNALIZMZ sites are Rock Paper Shotgun for PC and Siliconera for consoles. The former has the best game reviews I've seen and absolutely hilarious writers while the latter is just straight-up professional about everything. And they both often talk about smaller, niche titles that the big boys like IGN tend to ignore.

Daxdiv

I do like the Guild and all, probably my favorite live action web series out there. However I do agree with what does Felicia Day offer to video games anyway? I find her to be more respectable and attractive than Morgan Webb and Olivia Munn to be honest.

I'm still trying to get the facts on this, but man it's like one guy over at NeoGAF said, SOCIAL MEDIA STRIKES AGAIN

Rynnec

This also kinda ties in to the whole Felicia Day thing.

While that comic and article had a few good points, I think it kinda misses the fact that there are legit reasons people rag on figures like Morgan Webb and Felicia Day. Morgan has proven that yes, while she is a gamer, she's really no better than most male gaming journalists (her criticism of SMG2 proves that) and will be treated as harshly by the internet as any male gaming journalist would. And while I don't know much about what Felicia Day has done, I will say that that Ryan Perez guy could've been more tasteful in his questioning of her, it has nothing to do with Day being female, but it has everything to do with being respectful in public. And isn't Jennifer Hepler the chick who said that there should be an option to skip Gameplay in games? Yeah, someone who thinks like that has no business being in the Videogames industry, male or female.

What these people are doing, however, can look just as sexist as the trolls they're attacking. They seem to be defending these women just because they're women, and labeling anyone who disagrees with them as "sexist" or "misogynistic", and that SmoothJay/Illdoctirine video the article linked to is another example of this trend (btw, that guy lost any credibility the minute he said Trolls are genuinely destructive and dangerous).

Geezer

The whole industry bothers me nowadays, TBH.  Gaming has lost its magic over the past few years.  The 64-bit generation was probably the last time I was really enthusiastic about gaming... nowadays, it's all about making a quick buck off downloadable content, not fixing bugs before release because they can charge everyone for a patch later, rehashing the same genres over and over, etc.  They're falling into the same uncreative, sequel-happy trap as the movie industry.

The only company that's kept me interested is Nintendo, and even they're losing their touch, sadly.  Their last truly great console was the GameCube, IMO.

Foggle

I don't know, I think the Wii is a million times better than the N64 and GameCube. But yeah, I agree with your other complaints.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Geezer on July 07, 2012, 10:46:34 PM
not fixing bugs before release because they can charge everyone for a patch later.

When has this EVER happened? I've honestly never heard of a single time where a game company charged people money to install a patch to get rid of some bugs and glitches. Give me some examples of where this practice has been utilized, because this is honestly news to me (apparently).

QuoteThe only company that's kept me interested is Nintendo, and even they're losing their touch, sadly.  Their last truly great console was the GameCube, IMO.

Personally I think the Wii is better than the Gamecube in terms of game output. The GC only ever had a handful of games that ever caught my interest, honestly.

talonmalon333

Yeah, I agree with EK and Foggle here. I don't see what was so special about the GC.

Spark Of Spirit

Nintendo's output this gen blows away the GC.

Galaxy 1 & 2, NSMBWii, DKCR, Punch-Out!, Wario Land, Rhythm Heaven Fever, two awesome Kirby games, Sin & Punishment 2, and a few others are some of their best ever.

I'd say only Mario Kart and Zelda were a step down.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Not to mention Nintendo also had a lot of great support from other developers this gen. Meanwhile you could probably only count the good non-first party exclusives from the Cube and N64 on one hand, and you'd have a hell of a hard time trying to think of some for the N64.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

Foggle

QuoteMikami agreed that Japan still produces high-quality games, alluding to Gravity Rush, Yakuza, Monster Hunter, Catherine and Super Mario 3D Land
He's not too far gone. There's still hope for him.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I understand what he's saying but the comparison to Hollywood is not something I want video games to be.

Spark Of Spirit

He might as well have stayed at Capcom, then.

I don't know why people aren't sick of movie games yet- they just aren't all that deep.

Foggle

I think the headline is misleading. I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually want "movie games," he wants high-production value games with involving stories. The listed examples (Skyrim, Batman, Yakuza, Catherine) back that up.