Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And now Ninja Theory just went and disgraced the greatest villain in the DMC series. Way to go. I didn't think they could make things look any worse than it already did, but they sure as hell proved me wrong.

Rynnec

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 14, 2012, 03:29:18 PM
And now Ninja Theory just went and disgraced the greatest villain in the DMC series. Way to go. I didn't think they could make things look any worse than it already did, but they sure as hell proved me wrong.

Well, at least his redesign looks better than Dante's (but that's not saying much at all). Dear god does this games story look like the most generic thing ever. Of course, the girl just has to be put in peril, and "Dante" just has to risk the Resistance's(lol!) chances of success just so he can rescue and inevitably fall in love with her. Oh hey, "Vergil" and Dante are teaming up. Gee, I wonder if Vergil will either betray Dante, or sacrifice himself to help him? So exciting! :>

And of course, all the camp and over-the-top-ness is now replaced with societal commentary (because when one thinks of Devil May Cry, they think societal commentary).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, look at it this way: the game can still be hilarious like the classic DMC games. The only difference is that this game's hilarity will be completely unintentional in a sort of "so bad its funny as hell to mock" sort of way, rather than the real DMC games being fun from being ridiculously over the top and intentionally cheesy.

Spark Of Spirit

Why does it bother people so much that Rayman Legends is a Wii-U exclusive? If you like platformers, you should be looking into Nintendo systems anyway.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Didn't you say the more merrier or what about how games should be multiplatform not too long ago?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

The people that this kind of stuff bothers are usually the ones who vehemently hate Nintendo, aka the Takao's of the world.

Obviously there are exceptions, but you know what I mean.

Spark Of Spirit

It seems to me if you like 2D platformers and hate Nintendo, you're not gonna have much choice in games.

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 15, 2012, 04:41:45 PM
Didn't you say the more merrier or what about how games should be multiplatform not too long ago?
But the game is built from the ground up for the Wii-U, including the 5-player multiplayer and touch rhythm events that can only really work on two separate screens. Basically, it was made for the system, much like that ZombiU game is.

Normally I'm all for multiplatform, but if the game isn't and has a reason, there's really no point whining about it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 15, 2012, 04:39:23 PM
Why does it bother people so much that Rayman Legends is a Wii-U exclusive? If you like platformers, you should be looking into Nintendo systems anyway.

Some people are ticked off because they may not want to buy a new console right now. Rayman Origins was a surprising hit and has garnered itself quite the fan following, even on the HD consoles. The problem is that a new console costs a lot of money, and having it exclusive to the new Wii-U console will frustrate the people who had no intentions of buying a new console anytime soon, either because they are not interested in its other software offerings or because they just flat out can't afford it.

In my case, while I would be interested in a Wii-U, if I were one of those people eagerly awaiting the next Rayman game, I'd still be pretty pissed off because right now a Wii-U is just out of the question for me. Whether I want it or not, I simply can't afford a new console, period. In that same vein, that's why a lot of people have a good reason to be upset that the new Rayman game is a Wii-U exclusive.

Daxdiv

Rynnec

Quote from: Daxdiv on August 15, 2012, 08:29:41 PM
Not the video itself that offended me, rather than the fact why the video had to be made that makes me angry.

I didn't understand that controversy at all.

The only thing that bothers me about this "controversy" is that they seem to have made the cute, punk girl the "casual" character. :(

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 15, 2012, 04:39:23 PM
Because it's the sequel to a game that was well-received and released for every console as well as PC.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 15, 2012, 04:58:41 PM
But the game is built from the ground up for the Wii-U, including the 5-player multiplayer and touch rhythm events that can only really work on two separate screens. Basically, it was made for the system, much like that ZombiU game is.
Right, but unlike, say, MadWorld or Skyward Sword, I think it could function just fine on the other systems. 5-player multiplayer could easily be done on PC, and toned down to 4-players for 360 and PS3. You have a point with the rhythm stuff, but to me that sounds like a gimmick that could be pulled off just fine on a traditional controller/keyboard.

Not that I'm really arguing for Rayman Legends to be multiplatform. I'm actually glad that Nintendo is getting such a cool-looking exclusive.

Quote from: Daxdiv on August 15, 2012, 08:29:41 PM
I didn't understand that controversy at all.
I know. It's not "girl mode," it's "girlfriend mode" (which isn't even the official name of the skill tree). It's not implying that girls are bad at games, it's implying that a lot of gamers have significant others who don't normally play games and would therefore be bad at them. It's just there to give inexperienced co-op partners a fighting chance with a more casual difficulty setting. What if it had been called "dad mode"? Would that be ageist?

People on the internet are so quick to cry "sexism!!!1" when it isn't fucking there. And for the record, that goes both ways as well; the whole "men's rights" "movement" is by far the stupidest shit I've discovered this year.

Spark Of Spirit

Thing is, Origins bombed on everything and only did decent on the Wii. Ubisoft obviously thought this was a better idea for profit, so it's hard to fault them. Also, I don't think making platforms and jumping to them to the beat is all that throwaway, especially when you need a separate screen for it and the traditional players.

All that aside, I understand the whole "Launch game for system I can't afford" thing, I've been there many times. But when all discussion is over that and not how good the game looks, it gets a bit old.

Foggle

Origins only bombed on PC because it was delayed for like 4 months. UbiSoft sucks. (Though we don't even know how well it truly did there since Steam doesn't release sales figures.) In any case, they'd probably give Legends always-online DRM even if it did come out on PC...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I could have sworn I saw somewhere that Origins made really good sales on the PS3 as well, but I'll have to dig that source up at a later time since I'm busy right now.

Either way, my point was never that its bad that this game is exclusive to Nintendo (like Foggle, I'm glad that Nintendo has another great exclusive). I'm just saying that people who don't have the money for a Wii-U or don't plan on getting one just for one game and how really loved Rayman Origins have a legitimate reason to be angry. I mean, yeah I know that this game is specifically designed for the Wii-U, but the people who only own one of the current HD consoles (or even a Wii for that matter) were really looking forward to a great sequel that could follow-up on a great platformer that they liked. After waiting for it, once they find out that its only coming out on a system that they'll have to fork out a few hundred dollars to get just so that they can play it, then it pretty much lets them down to know that they probably won't be getting to play the sequel that they were so highly anticipating, at least not for quite a while.