Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This isn't really a thing that bothers me about gaming itself, but just something that bothers me about my life related to gaming.

Honestly, gaming has probably been my favorite leisurely activity ever. I loved reading books and doing other activities as well, but when I started college my strict curriculum started closing in on my free-time and I had to start giving some things up to keep time for other activities, so I stuck with gaming, because I've always been a gamer since I was 5 years old and its the most fun hobby to me, personally.

The problem is that as time has gone on, my life has only gotten more busy, and of course as an adult I have far more responsibilities than I ever did before. I suppose I've finally just come to the realization that I've had so little time for gaming in the past year or so. I mean, remember when I was playing RE4? It took me 3 months to actually finish it, and that's not because it was hard for me to beat, but because I had to play the game in such disjointed intervals. Gaming usually requires me to have at least a few completely free hours at any given time, but between managing my time with multiple exams to study for and assignments to complete, I just can't find the time for that very often.

I was talking about this with a friend the other day who used to have a similar passion for gaming, and he also found it quite saddening how the nature of our lifestyles is basically forcing us to phase out something that we truly love doing. I mean, I'm only ever going to get busier from here on out, so eventually I may have to give up the hobby altogether. I suppose that's just  a part of growing up in some people, even though my interest in playing good games will probably never fade. Maybe its just as well, though, since I know that I've personally been underwhelmed with a lot of the current-gen output, and seeing as how gaming is moving largely in a direction that I'm not interested in, I may have stopped following current games anyways. But, that still doesn't stop me from wanting to play the great classics that I have missed out on, and replay various other games that are among my favorites.

Also, seeing you guys talk about Borderlands 2 reminds me of part of the reason of why I lost interest in RPGs. Really, I used to love the genre at one point, but the problem is that they are the type of games that are rewarding only if you have a decent amount of hours to sink into them each time that you play them, but I just don't have the time for those kinds of games anymore, period. It may also be why I gained a lot more appreciation for classic 2D games since those are usually a lot better to play in shorter intervals, though even great 2D games can have me addicted and wanting to play them for hours on end.

Anyways, I don't really mean to bitch and moan about my life, but I just realized how much it bothers me that I'm slowly having to phase gaming out of my life more and more, whether I like it or not (and believe me, I don't). I still plan to get new games every now and then if they interest me, but I'm starting to wonder if I'll even be able to play through them without having to play them in such brief segments through extremely disjointed intervals in time. That's really no way to have a proper gaming experience.

Foggle

:( :( :( :(

Hopefully in the future you'll start to get your free time back. Like, once you're out of college.

Nel_Annette

It... doesn't get much better. Work and overall tiredness, other hobbies plus a social life have kept me from really going through my backlog. Hell, I've been playing Lunar in 5 minute increments. Other games I've been doing about one level a day, and none of those days were even next to each other. There's just so much less time now.  :(

Foggle

I basically just take gaming in big chunks. I can't play every day or even more than 2 or 3 days a week, but I try to plan a way that I can get enough time in without sacrificing other things that are important to me.

Spark Of Spirit

Once the industry crashes you won't have anything else to keep up with.  :D

But yeah, I getcha. When you have responsibilities it gets hard to enjoy any hobby, really.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on September 19, 2012, 10:26:41 PM
I basically just take gaming in big chunks. I can't play every day or even more than 2 or 3 days a week, but I try to plan a way that I can get enough time in without sacrificing other things that are important to me.

That's what it used to be like in my Freshman year of college, but one I finished undergrad and got into my professional years, even just setting aside a few hours in a day or 2 each week became impossible. Now I usually only have an hour at most to play games if I have free-time. I pretty much always have something to do that keeps me busy for a long time.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 19, 2012, 10:27:07 PM
Once the industry crashes you won't have anything else to keep up with.  :D

But yeah, I getcha. When you have responsibilities it gets hard to enjoy any hobby, really.
For me it tends to be less that I don't have the time and more that I just don't have the resolve. Like, I know that there's other things I need to do (or THINK I need to do) instead, which keeps me away from da gaemz. That thinking negatively impacts me in more than just gaming, though. It's been kind of ruining my life for a few years now...

Spark Of Spirit

I know what you're getting at, but I like keeping myself busy with other things so gaming taking a back seat doesn't bother me too much these days.

To steer it back on topic, I wish more modern action games still had soundtracks like this, this and this... Seriously, I'd love to hear more stuff like that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 19, 2012, 10:43:33 PM
I know what you're getting at, but I like keeping myself busy with other things so gaming taking a back seat doesn't bother me too much these days.
Oh, same here, but my own mental problems also keep me from being as social as I'd normally want and make it really hard to work on my writing. I generally spend most of my time obsessing over the tiniest details on projects and essays and shit out of some false sense of obligation.

And that music is fucking awesome.

Eddy

I actually saw someone say they'd rather Bayonetta 2 not exist at all than exist as a Wii U exclusive.

They also own a Wii and plan on getting a Wii U.

:wth:

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on September 19, 2012, 10:56:31 PM
I actually saw someone say they'd rather Bayonetta 2 not exist at all than exist as a Wii U exclusive.
:awesome:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on September 19, 2012, 10:54:34 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 19, 2012, 10:43:33 PM
Oh, same here, but my own mental problems also keep me from being as social as I'd normally want and make it really hard to work on my writing. I generally spend most of my time obsessing over the tiniest details on projects and essays and shit out of some false sense of obligation.
The easiest thing I can tell you is to just sit down and just start writing something you want to write. Even if it's not all that good, it will help a lot to simply do it. THEN obsess over it.  ;)

QuoteAnd that music is fucking awesome.
Everyone here with a 360 or PS3 needs to at least try Double Dragon Neon's demo. WayForward needs to make more beat em ups.

Eddy

I downloaded the demo but haven't played it yet. IGN gave it a 2 or something so it must be pretty good because IGN doesn't know shit.

This video also got me hyped up.

Spark Of Spirit

IGN gave it the same score as God Hand.

:humhumhum:

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 19, 2012, 11:09:52 PM
IGN gave it the same score as God Hand.

:humhumhum:
Greatest 2D beat 'em up of all time confirmed? :SHOCK: