Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

QuoteThe cast are real people, not cartoon stereotypes
Funny, the trailers and gameplay videos paint a different picture.

"Looks like I'm your prom date, you ugly sack of shit."
"Fuck you!"
"Fuck you!"
"FUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK YOOOOOOOUUUUU!!!" *vomits everywhere*

Truly, award-winning and realistic dialogue.

QuoteEvery place and action has real purpose now
Devil May Crys past could feel a tad rambling, having a meandering pace punctuated by a stream of events and battles often slightly lacking in context or narrative weight.
OH FUCKING NO, A VIDEO GAME IS STRUCTURED LIKE A VIDEO GAME!? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

QuoteNo more cheesy industrial metal on an infinite loop
Yes, because dubstep that even dubstep fans have said was bad and whatever the fuck Combichrist is supposed to be are so much better.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on November 01, 2012, 02:57:09 PM
http://www.gamesradar.com/dmc-devil-may-cry-hands-on-6-ways-it-improves-original-series/

Uuuuuggghhhhh.

1. The combat is more accessible, but no less deep

This is one of the first things I saw...and stopped reading after that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I thought DMC4 already made the combat as accessible as possible for a DMC game. It was really easy to get into but had a lot of depth (more so for Dante) for those who experimented with combos a lot. I guess the author of that article never played it....

Foggle

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Geoff Knightly sitting dead eyed next to a bag of Doritos and Mountian Dew cans.jpg

Rynnec

Just to clarify things: That picture hasn't been confirmed as 100% legit, and the guy who tweeted that even stated as such.

Still, it's not impossible.

Spark Of Spirit

The same industry that whines about Mario staying the same yet yet gives Call Of Duty perfect 10s every year for the last 7. Either they're given money to do it, are biased manchildren, or are completely inept at their job.

Whatever answer shows that they don't understand the industry they're in or don't understand that complete originality is not going to happen in this day and age.

That dmc article proves that most people will swallow anything if it's branded as a new experience even if it's lesser than what a classic can offer you.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If you guys want to see a really recent example of this crappy practice in action, just go ahead and read or watch IGN's review on Halo 4, where they praise it out the wazoo for being some bar-raising and genre-defining experience full of innovation and unique design. Then read every other review that's out for the game where even the reviewers that like it fully admit: "yeah, its basically just another Halo game that plays it as safe as ever." Even then, though, they still praise it, yet these are the same reviewers that knock other games down for being "more of the same," so talk about being hypocrites. The G4 review is the most absurd in that regard, actually praising the game for being more of the same after ALL of the other stuff that they've knocked for "not bringing enough new elements to the table" and whatnot.

I'm telling you, most gaming journalists and critics are just fucking tools, plain and simple, and the people who blindly follow this mentality and strongly believe some baseless notion that Western games are so innovative and inspired compared to modern Japanese games (when most modern games in general are in a drought of uninspired boring or pretentious design, regardless of where they come from) are even more mindless.

This is why I can't stand modern gamers. I mean, when its actually a popular opinion to think that pretentious Indie devs like Phil Fish are legitimately good game designers and have real weight to their outspoken opinions on mainstream game developers, that's when I realize that I just can't get with the mindset of the gamers of this generation, nor do I ever want to. I can tell you write now that the absolute best games that I've experienced in this generation of gaming, personally, were all older games from previous generations that I only played and experienced for the first time in the midst of all of the modern shit that has bored me for the past few years (e.g. Resident Evil 4, Mega Man X, Rocket Knight Adventures, and most recently Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, among others).

I know I sound like I'm being too harsh to modern games and gamers, and maybe I am, and maybe I'm just a nut who's stuck in the gaming mentality of the past, but I can say with certainty that I'm not at all interested in the direction that games have been moving in for the past few years and continue to further progress into.

Spark Of Spirit

They already did the same thing for ACIII despite it apparently being extremely buggy and not all that different from the previous games.

But somehow it's a masterpiece that no one will ever forget. Until it's in the bargain bin and forgotten within a year like so much LA Noire, Heavy Rain, and whatever FPS they're pushing this week.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 02, 2012, 12:13:11 PM
They already did the same thing for ACIII despite it apparently being extremely buggy and not all that different from the previous games.

As much as I'm loving it, the bugs are getting really fucking annoying. I've had to restart missions because the NPCs on either side would just derp and stand there permanently, or during several of the tutorials the player character would just not respond to any button I pressed at all.

Oh, and whoever designed to lockpicking in this game should be fired. It is absolutely atrocious.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Meanwhile, any games that truly try something unique and succeed at it through great gameplay yet only appeal to a niche crowd are immediately condemned by IGN, like Deadly Premonition.

It doesn't matter if a game like Portal 2 has virtually no replay value, its still clearly the best game out there because it does a great job of exploiting its gimmick through one single playthrough, and anyways, who the hell has an attention span long enough to ever replay games these days? Meanwhile, a game like God Hand can go rot in a corner for all I care because it actually requires an investment to learn the intricacies of its combat and keep up with its challenge. It doesn't matter if its a varied and rewarding experience in the end. The fact that it dared to have any substance to it beyond a single playthrough is just appalling. Who needs that when they can play through the next exciting corridor-campaign of Call of Duty Black Ops III or Modern Warware IV?

Foggle

I like LA Noire. :(

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 02, 2012, 12:24:08 PM
Meanwhile, any games that truly try something unique and succeed at it through great gameplay yet only appeal to a niche crowd are immediately condemned by IGN, like Deadly Premonition.
Dishonored and Borderlands 2 received the high praise they deserved, for what it's worth. Though I felt that many of the reviews for Deus Ex: Human Revolution weren't nearly positive enough.

Anyway, there have been a lot of good games this gen, they're just harder to find than they were in previous ones. I'm still discovering awesome SNES/PS1/PS2 games I've never played. Then, of course, I have a Dreamcast now, so yay! And the PC is the video game gift that keeps on giving.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on November 02, 2012, 12:29:25 PM
I like LA Noire. :(
I don't think it's bad game, same as the AC games (even if I don't like them), just that they get praised for crazy things like Oscar-worthy dialogue or their only faults being 'too good' when they have just as severe issues as the games they dog on. But they'll hype them up regardless. Either they fail as critics or they fail as journalists, either way they're running on some sort of agenda that they shouldn't.

It doesn't matter if a game like Portal 2 has virtually no replay value, its still clearly the best game out there because it does a great job of exploiting its gimmick through one single playthrough, and anyways, who the hell has an attention span long enough to ever replay games these days? Meanwhile, a game like God Hand can go rot in a corner for all I care because it actually requires an investment to learn the intricacies of its combat and keep up with its challenge. It doesn't matter if its a varied and rewarding experience in the end. The fact that it dared to have any substance to it beyond a single playthrough is just appalling. Who needs that when they can play through the next exciting corridor-campaign of Call of Duty Black Ops III or Modern Warware IV?
Yeah, their review of Double Dragon Neon pretty much proves they have no love for old school design. A short game with great replay value will last me much longer than a long game with none (or in most games now a short game with none), and I think that's what we need more of out there.

Even if folks at IGN only want certain types of games out there. I eagerly await their article on how NSMBU should never have been made and released because it was 2D again.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dishonored and Borderlands 2 received the high praise they deserved, for what it's worth. Though I felt that many of the reviews for Deus Ex: Human Revolution weren't nearly positive enough.

So did games like Ninja Gaiden Black, Devil May Cry 3, Bayonetta, Resident Evil 4, Vanquish, and so on, but those games are typically the exception rather than the rule. Maybe Halo 4 is a decent game. I seriously as hell fucking doubt for a second, though, that its the innovative and bar-raising masterpiece that IGN paints it out to be.

QuoteAnyway, there have been a lot of good games this gen, they're just harder to find than they were in previous ones. I'm still discovering awesome SNES/PS1/PS2 games I've never played. Then, of course, I have a Dreamcast now, so yay! And the PC is the video game gift that keeps on giving.

I don't mean to knock all of the games this gen, and there certainly are plenty of great ones. I'm just pissed because the ones that are the most popular and get the most recognition tend to be the ones that I just honestly hate. I can't stand Assassin's Creed or Uncharted. I don't mean to insult anyone who likes them, but I don't see why those games get nearly as high praise as they do other than having high production values or boasting a lot of stuff and only passably delivering on whatever they set out to do from a gameplay standpoint.