Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, this is just something that I've kind of read or heard from other people at random every now and then, but basically I've come to understand that some modern gamers complain about games with too much depth to them. Now, I'm not talking about games that necessarily have a steep learning curve and are really hard to get into like a high-level RTS game or something of the sort. I've specifically seen complaints about games like Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry for being too "ridiculously overwhelming" for having too much stuff in their combat. With Ninja Gaiden, I once saw an NG3 review where the reviewer gave the game a mediocre review as expected, but said that he appreciated how the game at least didn't shove so many different weapons down your throat for you to switch between and learn how to use.

....Are you fucking kidding me? How is that a complaint? The game offers you up TONS of depth IF YOU WANT IT in terms of giving you a lot of variety in how you can approach combat with the vastly unique weapons that you have at your disposal. Yes, they have a learning curve to them, but that is part of the fun and what adds replay value to the game. Now, the thing is, if you just want to play the game more simply and not focus on practicing with so many weapons, then guess what? The game doesn't force them on you. If you only feel like using the basic Dragon Sword, then you can go ahead and use it. The game doesn't specifically punish you for just sticking to your weapon of choice if you so choose. The variety is there for other players who want that level of variety and want to reach a higher skill level. There is absolutely no grounds to complain about a game offering you more content and variety while still giving you the option of sticking to what you're comfortable with if you so choose. Its not like you absolutely need to use every different weapon and combo at the game's disposal if you simply just want to get through the game.

And then there's Devil May Cry. I've heard complaints about how Dante's combat in DMC4 was "a bit too much" with how he had 4 different styles that you could switch between on the fly making it really hard to master his combat since there was so much depth to it. Once again, are you fucking kidding me? The game doesn't force you to learn how to apply such advanced tactics in the first place if you just want to play through it with simple combos and such. Hell, you could beat the game even on DMD mode without having to switch any of your styles mid-combat if you didn't feel like it (you could also beat the whole thing with your style of choice). Yet again, the game has that extra huge layer of depth for those players that want it. It doesn't force it on anyone, and I myself never got that proficient at using Dante in DMC4 despite loving the hell out of his combat, but I never once complained about the game offering me too much stuff to master. Its supposed to be hard to master a deep combat system. That's how you know its deep in the first place. If you don't want to master it and just play through the game normally, then you're free to do so, even on the harder difficulty settings, in which you only really have to master how to properly evade enemy attacks and what are the most powerful moves to use to make quick work of them, which is a much simpler feat.

Overall, I just can't stand it when someone complains about a game offering you too many options, when it clearly still allows more casual players to play as casual as they want. That is one of the most baffling and idiotic complaints that I've ever heard from gamers. What I want to know is how does it make a game better to take away your options while doing absolutely nothing to improve the casual side of the experience for the more casual gamers?

Foggle

Agreed. That kind of mentality is why it took 11 years for a true Deus Ex successor to come out, and why the CRPG genre is all but dead. It's like nobody wants to see actual depth or innovation anymore.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on February 02, 2013, 03:01:27 AM
Agreed. That kind of mentality is why it took 11 years for a true Deus Ex successor to come out, and why the CRPG genre is all but dead. It's like nobody wants to see actual depth or innovation anymore.

Its especially annoying when the game clearly gives you the option to ignore the deeper mechanics it has to offer if you just want a really streamlined experience. In that case, these idiots really have nothing to complain about, other than the game hurting their self-esteem or some BS like that just because its not shallow enough for them to master with ease.

Eddy

I'm sick of people trying to be white knights.

Apparently, some people have started complaining to Anthony Burch, writer of Borderlands 2, on Twitter over the character Tiny Tina, claiming she's "racist" because she uses "black words" like "badonkadonk" and "crunk" when she is, in fact, a white girl. They want her changed. Burch originally said "no" but now he's saying he will change her if people actually find her racist, but he himself is not seeing it. Likewise, several other people on Twitter have told him no changes are needed because Tiny Tina is so obviously not racist. So hopefully no change to Tiny Tina comes from it.

Worth noting, all the people I saw claiming Tiny Tina is racially insensitive to black people were white.

Foggle

Personally, I'd love it if Tiny Tina was removed from the game entirely. She's pretty much the only thing I found unfunny in BL2.

But the racism accusations/arguments are both stupid and ridiculous. There's nothing offensive about someone using outdated slang in an attempt to appear "hip".

Grave

Quote from: FoggleBut the racism accusations/arguments are both stupid and ridiculous. There's nothing offensive about someone using outdated slang in an attempt to appear "hip".
I haven't played the game yet, but for the most part I do agree, especially since people seem to be complaining about the most minute stuff now. Being black myself, I have no problem with white people using slang. I may look at folks weird at first because I may be trying to figure out who said whatever slang term, but eventually it'll get me to crack a smile since it's the faces that white people make while using slang (meh, white, black, I feel weird talking about this stuff lol, mainly because I stay away from the more serious topics).

Quote from: EddyI'm sick of people trying to be white knights.
Hmm. I'm not used to seeing "white knight" being used this way, and truth be told I only found out about the term "white knight" last year. I'm used to hearing it as defending women in gaming, especially with the Cross Assault fiasco that took place last year.

Speaking of Cross Assault my issue with the FGC online (I can really open a can of worms about the gaming community online itself, but that'll take too long since I have a lot on my chest about that, so I'll just focus on the fighting game community). While I don't play fighting games seriously, nor do I participate in tournaments, I do follow them pretty heavily. I watch people like Maximilian and Gootecks, Mike Ross along with the Japanese players (but for the most part, the 1st 3 I watch simply because they cater more to the beginners and try to provide entertainment as well). One habit I gotta break is reading the comment section of anything (this is why I can really go in on the gaming community as a whole), but I read the comment section on Eventhubs, Shoryuken, Youtube (oh dear God), and my goodness, people just love to hate. Like I said, hate for the smallest reasons. Folks are hating on Max simply because he's playing games he enjoys. Though, they are Capcom fighters, so what? Then they throw in that he's being paid by Capcom.... And this is bad because?

And then there are folks who're upset that they keep seeing tourney players use the same characters over and over. I understand that people want to see low tier characters be used more at a high level, hell, I'd love to see someone win a tourney with Guy, but some people gotta get it through their heads that a lot of these tournament players are playing to win, especially the ones who're sponsored since that's their way of making money. And then on the flip side, say somebody do try to switch things up (Mike Ross) a bit there's the reverse "yourrrrrrr freeeeeeeee" or something along those lines.

Like I said, though, I really need to stop reading the comment section.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 02, 2013, 03:01:27 AM
Early complaint from Sly 4 reviewers: it feels old school.

I'm not making that up. It's not like Sly's platforming is all that difficult either, but that says a lot.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Can't believe that's a complaint. Sounds more like a descriptor to me. Fuckin' game journalists.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Eddy on February 04, 2013, 02:29:27 AM
I'm sick of people trying to be white knights.

Apparently, some people have started complaining to Anthony Burch, writer of Borderlands 2, on Twitter over the character Tiny Tina, claiming she's "racist" because she uses "black words" like "badonkadonk" and "crunk" when she is, in fact, a white girl. They want her changed. Burch originally said "no" but now he's saying he will change her if people actually find her racist, but he himself is not seeing it. Likewise, several other people on Twitter have told him no changes are needed because Tiny Tina is so obviously not racist. So hopefully no change to Tiny Tina comes from it.

Worth noting, all the people I saw claiming Tiny Tina is racially insensitive to black people were white.
Hopefully they don't come after Deadpool next.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Eddy

Let's talk Ubisoft!

Two years ago Ubisoft released the Scott Pilgrim vs. The World game to XBLA and PSN. A fun, old-school beat-em-up with nice sprite animation and a killer soundtrack. However, if there was one thing it was lacking, it was online multiplayer. This puzzled people but Ubi said they had no plans of adding online multiplayer.

Fast forward two years later: Ubisoft announces that a new character will be added to the game, Wallace (Scott's gay roommate) and online play will finally be added to the game! Not sure why it took them two years but, whatever. The problem? They expect you to pay $5 for online play. The mode that should be FREE and should have been there from the start and they want you to pay $5. It comes with Wallace as well, but that does not justify the price.

Then the DLC got delayed for unknown reasons when it was supposed to come out in August and everyone basically just forgot about it. Recently it was announced that the prince was going to drop to $2. It's still bs that they expect people to pay for online but $2 for Wallace + online is much more reasonable than $5, especially considering way back when the game first came out they added Knives as a playable character with new mini-games for $2. The Wallace/Online DLC was set to come out this week but then it was delayed AGAIN.

The latest pricing shows that the DLC is back UP to $5. Savvy fans also noticed from the trailer for the DLC that Wallace is just edited sprites of Scott and Stills and just given the same attacks as them, with none unique for him. They also noticed that Wallace's victory pose has sprite stolen right from Sonic Battle (released in 2004 for the GBA). It isn't a parody like the other character victory animations, they straight up STOLE sprites from Amy's victory pose in Sonic Battle.

So Ubisoft wants people to pay $5 for:
- DLC they keep delaying for a two year old game
- a single new character that is just an edit of existing characters with no new moves
- sprites that they stole
- a mode that should be a free patch, not DLC

Yeah, no thanks, Ubisoft.

Spark Of Spirit

In before Foggle talks PC shenanigans.

I can only count on my hand the number of Ubisoft games I enjoy as it is, so I'm really glad that I never have to deal with things like this. Rayman Legends at the end of the month is probably going to be the one and only time I ever buy one of their games new, and that's only because the demo was so good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

I'm not much of an Ubisoft fan either. I like the Scott Pilgrim game and Beyond Good & Evil. When I get a Wii U I'll probably get Rayman Legends and maybe ZombiU. But I can't think of a whole lot else they've done that I liked that much. I could never get into Assassin's Creed. I thought Turtles in Time: Re-Shelled was pretty much garbage. And I never really saw that much appeal in Rayman until Origins and Legends (I previously played Rayman Advance and I have Rayman 2).

Spark Of Spirit

The TMNT GBA game was really fun (done by the SP team, I believe) and I heard good things about the Prince Of Persia games last gen but that's about it.

They've always come across as a C-Tier (B-Tier at best) developer.

Rynnec

They also did Red Steel 2, which was a very good FPS adventure game. And while it was ultimately a dissapointment, TMNT Smash Up was still fun to play. Their whoring of those stupid Rabbids was pretty horrid though.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on February 05, 2013, 10:05:25 PM
They also did Red Steel 2, which was a very good FPS adventure game.
I forgot about this one. This was indeed a really good and underrated game.

It's a shame this wasn't released in place of the original, it deserved the sales that one got.