Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 17, 2013, 07:37:38 PM
And since Sony seems to not want a traditional R&C game to be made, who knows where Insomniac will end up in a few years? I don't think their brand of games are really in-line with the "AAAA" plan and I'd hate for them to die off.
I think it's more that Insomniac is just taking a break from traditional R&C for the moment. Then again, maybe A4O and FFA were Sony mandates. I have no idea.

Hopefully Nintendo will buy R&C, J&D, and Sly from Sony. Wouldn't that be something!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 17, 2013, 07:41:17 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 17, 2013, 07:37:38 PM
And since Sony seems to not want a traditional R&C game to be made, who knows where Insomniac will end up in a few years? I don't think their brand of games are really in-line with the "AAAA" plan and I'd hate for them to die off.
I think it's more that Insomniac is just taking a break from traditional R&C for the moment. Then again, maybe A4O and FFA were Sony mandates. I have no idea.

Hopefully Nintendo will buy R&C, J&D, and Sly from Sony. Wouldn't that be something!
I always thought the spin off R&C games were because of ACIT's sales and that they didn't know what else to do with the franchise. They should make a new traditional game soon, though, because the side games aren't really helping the series' profile.

After Spyro and R&C, I would really like to see what they'd do next with a totally new approach. I think they could make something fresh and much needed right now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 17, 2013, 07:17:14 PM
But if I had a gaming capable PC and a Wii-U I'm not entirely sure what I could possibly want from the next Sony or Microsoft system given that I don't like the AAAA direction.

I'd hate to miss out on Arc System Works' new fighter and whatever other new fighters and hack'n slashes come out (since those hardly ever appear on Nintendo console's or PC's), but otherwise I'm in the same boat as Foggle.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 17, 2013, 07:54:09 PM
I always thought the spin off R&C games were because of ACIT's sales and that they didn't know what else to do with the franchise.
It didn't sell well!? I know the game was adored by both critics and players alike. I think it even won a few GOTY awards.

QuoteThey should make a new traditional game soon, though, because the side games aren't really helping the series' profile.

After Spyro and R&C, I would really like to see what they'd do next with a totally new approach. I think they could make something fresh and much needed right now.
I just want a new platformer from them. Nobody does 3D platforming better than Insomniac IMO (though the Mario Galaxy team comes close).

Quote from: Rynnec on May 17, 2013, 08:05:18 PM
hack'n slashes
Well, Bayo 2 is a Wii-U exclusive, DMC 4 and DmC are available on PC, and Metal Gear Rising is going to be getting a PC port soon, so... :joy:

Nel_Annette

Welp, I'm sure anyone who's into LPs has heard about the copyright thing Nintendo pulled recently. Taking the monetization away and making it so that all ad revenue goes to the big N instead of the Let's Player. Not sure how I feel about it, as it's a big gray area, but it does seem like something that would alienate a lot of people, and I can't imagine they'd be doing this if the Wii U were selling better.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't think it's going to matter much, honestly.

Quote from: Foggle on May 17, 2013, 08:05:42 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 17, 2013, 07:54:09 PM
I always thought the spin off R&C games were because of ACIT's sales and that they didn't know what else to do with the franchise.
It didn't sell well!? I know the game was adored by both critics and players alike. I think it even won a few GOTY awards.
It didn't sell all that well though it's not like Sony advertised it.

QuoteThey should make a new traditional game soon, though, because the side games aren't really helping the series' profile.

I just want a new platformer from them. Nobody does 3D platforming better than Insomniac IMO (though the Mario Galaxy team comes close).
Unfortunately other than EAD and Sonic Team few others are even willing to give the genre a shot.

Quote from: Rynnec on May 17, 2013, 08:05:18 PM
hack'n slashes
Well, Bayo 2 is a Wii-U exclusive, DMC 4 and DmC are available on PC, and Metal Gear Rising is going to be getting a PC port soon, so... :joy:
That and Arc System games are all 2D. I'm not sure how much of a bump the next gen systems will really give the games to the point where I think the Wii-U can still get ports of them. I think Konami and possibly Capcom would be the most difficult to gauge.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 17, 2013, 08:22:27 PM
Unfortunately other than EAD and Sonic Team few others are even willing to give the genre a shot.
Yep. Unfortunately, 3D platformers are probably very difficult to do well, so few studios even attempt them. Which is a shame, as it's one of my favorite game genres.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Now, in regard to statements about the Wii-U failing to impress so far, while I agree with that, lets not forget that the Nintendo Wii also had a pretty abysmal start-up as well, and didn't really become truly worth owning until at least a good 2 years after its initial release (the XBOX360 and PS3 had really crappy launches as well). My point is that I think people are easily forgetting that it usually takes a while for new consoles to develop into something great since it just takes a while for good developers to make good software to support the system (and of course the system is nothing without its software). Systems with incredible launches like Super Nintendo are the exception, rather than the rule.

That said, I still think that PC will inevitably be the best way to go this generation.

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 17, 2013, 10:52:35 PM
My point is that I think people are easily forgetting that it usually takes a while for new consoles to develop into something great since it just takes a while for good developers to make good software to support the system (and of course the system is nothing without its software). Systems with incredible launches like Super Nintendo are the exception, rather than the rule.

That said, I still think that PC will inevitably be the best way to go this generation.

As true as that is I think it's becoming (or rather, it is) sad that people are willing to accept that, but then again this could be just my close-mindedness coming out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Grave on May 18, 2013, 03:56:40 AM
As true as that is I think it's becoming (or rather, it is) sad that people are willing to accept that, but then again this could be just my close-mindedness coming out.

It not that I'm just willing to accept that. Its just a fact of the matter. I mean, if I'm wrong, just try and give me one console launch that was absolutely stellar and promising, aside from something like Super Ninendo. Even the PS2, which is the most popular home console of all time, had an extremely weak line-up when it first launched.

Really, I just think that people are too quick to jump the gun and say that things are going to be crap without giving anything enough time to really develop. Also, just for the record, I'm not the biggest fan of the previous generation of games, even though everyone else seems to be, so its not like I'm saying that this generation of consoles will definitely be great. It might not be. But, as far as I'm concerned, its still way too soon to tell (especially considering that the XBOX720 and PS4 aren't even out yet).

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 18, 2013, 12:27:13 PM
Quote from: Grave on May 18, 2013, 03:56:40 AM

It not that I'm just willing to accept that. Its just a fact of the matter. I mean, if I'm wrong, just try and give me one console launch that was absolutely stellar and promising, aside from something like Super Ninendo. Even the PS2, which is the most popular home console of all time, had an extremely weak line-up when it first launched.

Really, I just think that people are too quick to jump the gun and say that things are going to be crap without giving anything enough time to really develop. Also, just for the record, I'm not the biggest fan of the previous generation of games, even though everyone else seems to be, so its not like I'm saying that this generation of consoles will definitely be great. It might not be. But, as far as I'm concerned, its still way too soon to tell (especially considering that the XBOX720 and PS4 aren't even out yet).

Oh no, you're definitely right. Like I said, it might be my close-mindedness coming out, because I don't play any of those games that comes out with a new console on launch (Wii Sports and Forza don't interest me), but to go for 2+ years with nothing, that's pushing it. If I were a Nintendo fan that would probably get me to drop them, or rather close to it. I'd probably drop Sony and Microsoft if they did something similar, but then again, I was very late to the party when it came to getting my PS3 and 360 so the games were already there for me.

But I do agree that people are very quick to say that _______ will be crap. Heck, I'm actually looking forward to the PS4 now, but if there are no games that interest me at launch I won't get it until later on down the road if there are games actually worth my time.

GaryPotter

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 17, 2013, 10:52:35 PM
Now, in regard to statements about the Wii-U failing to impress so far, while I agree with that, lets not forget that the Nintendo Wii also had a pretty abysmal start-up as well

WHAT!???!!!!

Now I'm not a huge fan of the Wii, but what the heck is this? The Wii flew off the shelves almost instantly, and it remained hard to get until halfway through 2007. Everybody (and I do mean EVERYBODY) was speechless about how awesome the remote controls were, and said that everyone needed this thing. How can anybody not remember that?

Avaitor

I think EK means that the Wii's original selection wasn't very strong. And to be fair, he is right. The best games that were available at first were Twilight Princess, which was also on the Gamecube, and Wii Sports, which got old a week after you first played it. It took a while for more of the great games, like the Galaxys, Brawl, No More Heroes, etc, to come out.

Really, most Nintendo consoles never had a great opening selection. Most consoles, in fact.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

GaryPotter

Well, that I agree with. Galaxy is really what started the console.

talonmalon333

At the same time though, I wouldn't call Twilight Princess an abysmal start-up. :P