Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

It is possible for games to be unfair, but 99% of the time people complain just because they're bad at them.

Marking down W101 for its difficulty is extremely stupid, especially since - being a Platinum game - it probably has an Easy mode for inexperienced/casual players.

Spark Of Spirit

The demo has an 'easy' and 'very easy' setting. If he played on those and couldn't beat it, then I don't know what to say.

But I mean, I can understand some faults. The controls are not jump in and jump out (most action games these days aren't unless they're COD clones) and getting used to it can take awhile. But the difficulty? It's a game by Hideki Kamiya. They're always hard.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 19, 2013, 09:16:55 PM
I believe Blistered Thumbs (the same people who hated Ninja Gaiden Black for "being cheap") have marked down the Wonderful 101 for the same.

Was it Sage who said that by any chance? It certainly wouldn't surprise me if it were him. GOD, I can't stand that guy! :srs:

Anyone who calls Ninja Gaiden Black cheap should be forced to sit through Ninja Of Sorrow's "NO DAMAGE" run through the ENTIRE game. Maybe that'll be enough to shut them up....maybe. :humhumhum:

Foggle

Ninja Gaiden Black is, like, the most well-balanced action game out there. It's hard, hell yeah, but cheap? Literally the exact opposite.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't know who it was as I don't check that site, I just heard they gave it a 3/10 for being too cheap. When I watched TGWTG, the game coverage was usually quite bad as it was, so I don't plan on giving them clicks for it.

But if you can get through a game without taking damage at any point (other than a scripted event or something) then it's factually not cheap. I guarantee that a game by Hideki Kamiya won't have that problem.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 19, 2013, 11:43:02 PM
I don't know who it was as I don't check that site, I just heard they gave it a 3/10 for being too cheap. When I watched TGWTG, the game coverage was usually quite bad as it was, so I don't plan on giving them clicks for it.

But if you can get through a game without taking damage at any point (other than a scripted event or something) then it's factually not cheap. I guarantee that a game by Hideki Kamiya won't have that problem.

Its uncommon for anyone to be that skilled at the game, but for NGB, it IS possible, and has been proven through unedited videos. I should also mention that NOS's famous (among NG fans) no damage run was one on MASTER NINJA mode, the game's highest difficulty setting. Somehow I get the feeling that whoever on that site gave the game a 3/10 only played it on Normal mode. I just replayed most of NGB on Normal mode a couple of months ago (up until the XBL version crashed on me), and I didn't have any trouble with any specific part of the game, whatsoever. I'm not good enough to get through the entire game without taking any damage, even on this difficulty setting, but I hardly ever died given how generous this game is with healing items. Of course, I do have a lot of experience with the game, but that's the point. I know the game well, and know what strategies work and what doesn't work. That's where the challenge comes from. You are meant to get better at the game through experience. That's not cheap, that's just challenging. Apparently somebody (or everybody) on Blistered Thumbs clearly doesn't get the difference.

Spark Of Spirit

You'd figure with a name like Blistered Thumbs they would get the difference.  :lol:

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 19, 2013, 09:16:55 PM
I believe Blistered Thumbs (the same people who hated Ninja Gaiden Black for "being cheap") have marked down the Wonderful 101 for the same.

Why do people who hate hard games, play them and complain about them being hard?
I have always hated this complaint. Probably because I'm so diligent when trying to beat games but seeing as how reviewers have beaten said game and a ton of other hard ones, SINCE IT'S THEIR JOB TO DO SO, I never understood that complaint. I can understand if they said it's too hard because it's too cheap and can actually explain why well but that's never the case. It's usually them whining about losing too many lives.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Out of curiosity, I tried looking for the review on their site to see what they actually said about the game, but I didn't find any reviews for NGB over there. Maybe that comment was on a different NG game? Or maybe it might have been from some other site, but if Blistered Thumbs did indeed write a negative review for the game then I'd be interested in seeing it if someone could find and link me to it. I just want to see what kind of actual "reasoning" the reviewer in question would use for calling that game cheap.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, I don't think it was a review, I think they just trashed it in a random video. NGB came out long before the site even existed, or the brand for that matter.

But that was years ago, I barely remember anything about them other than they whine a lot about games being too hard.

Nel_Annette

Missable sidequests. Easily missable sidequests.  :anger:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel_Annette on August 20, 2013, 01:12:41 AM
I had to stop my play-through of Suikoden 2 because I missed a character without any indication. The game is excellent and everything, but man, I really wish you didn't have to guess when and where to look for characters. It's really my only problem with the game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To add to that, I hate it when you have an open-world or exploration-type game in which you can revisit most environments, but where there are certain areas that you can never visit again (except for on a new game +) after a certain event in the game occurs. It's frustrating because I do like to try my best to get every item I can find in a game, and in that regard I sort of have an OCD about that kind of stuff. So, when I miss a certain room or area in a game because I accidentally triggered a mandatory boss fight or something of that nature and am forced to move on and not allowed to go back later on to get what I missed, I tend to get really ticked off, and I'll always have this nagging feeling following me throughout the rest of the game when that happens. Sometimes I can undo something like that if I happen to have a previous save that isn't too far back from where I triggered a mandatory event to progress forward, but that rarely ever happens whenever I find myself caught in these sorts of situations.

Nel_Annette

I find it funny you guys brought up the Tales series in the other thread, because that's the one I'm referring to. I just ragequit Tales Of The Abyss because I missed something vital before the final boss. I've been playing this game since 2006 and I'm still finding sidequests I've never heard of. I love the Tales series, but the sheer amount of things you miss without a guide is infuriating sometimes.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 20, 2013, 01:20:04 AM

To add to that, I hate it when you have an open-world or exploration-type game in which you can revisit most environments, but where there are certain areas that you can never visit again (except for on a new game +) after a certain event in the game occurs. It's frustrating because I do like to try my best to get every item I can find in a game, and in that regard I sort of have an OCD about that kind of stuff. So, when I miss a certain room or area in a game because I accidentally triggered a mandatory boss fight or something of that nature and am forced to move on and not allowed to go back later on to get what I missed, I tend to get really ticked off, and I'll always have this nagging feeling following me throughout the rest of the game when that happens. Sometimes I can undo something like that if I happen to have a previous save that isn't too far back from where I triggered a mandatory event to progress forward, but that rarely ever happens whenever I find myself caught in these sorts of situations.
I hate it when they close off areas in RPGs. By the time you get to the end in all the FFs I've played, you lose access to a lot of the world.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody