Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

Sadly, this is the reality we live in.

Prioritizing DLC over your own broken game sounds.... pretty foolish. I mean it's one thing with all these "Early Access" games that are all the rage saying that you're technically buying an uncompleted game, but another thing from a Triple-A game to have all these bugs in the game from launch with little to no fix about it.

Spark Of Spirit

Not fixing your own game is pretty low. Especially considering the cost.

Why spend $60 on a game that might not even work? No wonder sales are going down across the board. Things like this certainly don't help.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So are we looking at the great video game crash of 2015, 2016, or will the industry hold out a bit longer than that? Time to place your bets, everyone! :>

Nel_Annette

Man, thinking about all the money that Flappy Bird guy made... I need to get in on this. Let's rip off pong and put it on the mobile market or something. But it needs to be meme-worthy. Stupidly meme-worthy.

Grave

Part 2 of why I don't care for hardcore gamers/fans I suppose.

So I was watching Sessler's Something. I don't have any issues with his first topic about Playstation Now. It's his 2nd topic that really irks me and really makes me sick of gamers/fans of today. I'm all for discussing personal favorites and whatnot, but when it comes to getting death threats for personal favorites (REALLY?) I tend to think people are stupid. It's one thing to get in the heat of the moment over something like "best game of all time", but over personal favorites, come on.

With that said this is kinda why I side with the journalists/companies here and there (or at the very least I have more respect towards them than I have towards your average gamer), mainly because of what these folks put up with. I'm probably being naive or white knighting, but whatever. Take Capcom for instance. I don't like a lot of their decisions just as much as the next, and I get that gamers are passionate about what they like, but to resort to the degree of insults or wishing death, and, yet we expect these folks to remain "professional". I swear if these folks ever decide to attack back, it'll be well deserved.

I can take it to another level if I were to involve the fighting game community, but I'm rambling and words are jumbling in my head so I'm gonna leave it alone for now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can't stand those types of gamers either, but I think they represent a smaller portion of the general community than it may seem. I know many people who complain about journalists and BS business practices in a perfectly reasonable and rational manner, while actually taking the time and effort to support their points.

I do agree that the people who issue death threats to gaming journalists and companies like Capcom are fucking immature idiots, though. That's not having a true passion for the genre, it's being hateful just because someone is saying or doing something that you don't agree with. I disagree with people like Jeff Gerstmann and Adam Sessler about a shit-ton of things, and I despise Capcom's business practices, but that's me just hating on what's being said or the actual business practice itself. I never forget that the people behind this are human beings themselves, and trying to apply my disagreements as hatred onto them is just ridiculous.

Spark Of Spirit

Gamespot gave Tropical Freeze a 5/10. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but apparently the guy admitted he doesn't like Donkey Kong, wanted Retro to make a Metroid game, and can't wrap his head around high difficulty and starting a boss over from the beginning when you die. Basically, it's every fanboy complaint about Donkey Kong Country games rolled into a "professional" review.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone in the industry is aware that games did not begin to be made in the year 2008 and do not all benefit from following the same formula.

I do wonder when gamers are going to stop listening to reviewers, however.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 17, 2014, 11:08:17 AM
Gamespot gave Tropical Freeze a 5/10. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but apparently the guy admitted he doesn't like Donkey Kong, wanted Retro to make a Metroid game, and can't wrap his head around high difficulty and starting a boss over from the beginning when you die. Basically, it's every fanboy complaint about Donkey Kong Country games rolled into a "professional" review.

How the hell did this get past the drafting stage?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on February 17, 2014, 12:54:18 PM

Sorry, it was a 6/10. Same review, though.

I'm floored Gamespot is still taken as credible after the whole Kane & Lynch thing, but giving a review to someone who doesn't even like a series is sort of pointless. If you don't like platformers, one game isn't going to change that.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 17, 2014, 01:42:42 PM

I'm floored Gamespot is still taken as credible after the whole Kane & Lynch thing, but giving a review to someone who doesn't even like a series is sort of pointless. If you don't like platformers, one game isn't going to change that.
Doesn't Gertsmann (sp?????) work for the same parent company again since they bought giantbomb?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 17, 2014, 03:43:12 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 17, 2014, 01:42:42 PM

Doesn't Gertsmann (sp?????) work for the same parent company again since they bought giantbomb?
It's possible, but I guess they learned from their mistake on that one since a reviewer has never been fired for something like that since. Still, when it comes to IGN or Gamespot I tend to take their reviews with a grain of salt even more than I do with other shaky places like Edge, Destructoid, Polygon, or Kotaku.

King Hippo

In general, I don't trust the Internet for anything.

I hate to sound like a nostalgic old fart, but does anyone remember the old EGM and Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine? Now they were real reviewers plus they reviewed everything, including obscure shovel-ware crap that few people cared about. They cared about quality work, and it's a shame they all kind of died out.

gunswordfist

I remember OPM giving some stupid ass reviews like when they lowered a score of a racing game...because they said it had too many races.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

King Hippo

OPM was garbage. Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine, by contrast, was always a joy to read.

Spark Of Spirit

I remember PSM for having stickers and were fairly unbiased despite being about the PS1/PS2. But then, they were an unofficial mag.