Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Oh joy.

Source: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/DevinWilson/20140828/224450/A_Guide_to_Ending_quotGamersquot.php

This article also claims that video games where you play as a hero saving the world teach people to be assholes, and implies that single-player games are bad in general. what the fuck is this shit

Spark Of Spirit

This is the kind of idiocy I'm talking about. What exactly do they think the "Games" in "Video Games" is supposed to imply?

In the age of youtube, blogs, message boards, and FAQs, game sites are redundant. I say we do away with them. They are meaningless websites at best and contain poisonous priorities at worst.

"Fun is a neurological trick" has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen a game journalist say.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2014, 02:56:59 PM
This is the kind of idiocy I'm talking about. What exactly do they think the "Games" in "Video Games" is supposed to imply?

In the age of youtube, blogs, message boards, and FAQs, game sites are redundant. I say we do away with them. They are meaningless websites at best and contain poisonous priorities at worst.

"Fun is a neurological trick" has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen a game journalist say.

People like him are what's ruining gaming.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on August 29, 2014, 03:02:24 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2014, 02:56:59 PM

People like him are what's ruining gaming.
"Fun is a neurological trick."

He must be one of the most joyless, angry, miserable, human beings in the world if he really believes that. Seeing as he's a game "journalist", he probably is.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 29, 2014, 03:08:50 PM"Fun is a neurological trick."

He must be one of the most joyless, angry, miserable, human beings in the world if he really believes that. Seeing as he's a game "journalist", he probably is.

I thought "fun" was a buzzword! It's like I'm on /v/, but I take most of the stuff on /v/ with a grain of salt, this guy is serious about that.

Man, who da thunk that all this would start from a woman developer that made a Power Point Visual Novel, even then, I was reluctant to call it a VN, since that feels like an insult to VNs.

gunswordfist

when ar overreacted and said y'all would only get a wii u and pc this gen and this gen would be the last time you would buy game consoles because y'all somehow "knew" that ps4 and x1 would have mostly movie games...a year or so before the consoles came out and when there were barely any games announced. predictively enough, y'all have expressed interest in a number of games from both, a lot of them major titles and none of them are movie games. oh and some of them are from your favorite developers from last gen but for some reason y'all didn't factor them in during those silly movie game rants.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Wii-U has Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third, and a bunch of good first party exclusives coming up.

The XBOX ONE has Quantum Break and Scalebound, along with Halo 5 (which will probably suck because it's made by 343i, and Halo 4 was the most boring Halo game ever).

The PS4....honestly doesn't have any particular games that interest me, at the moment. Bloodborne looks like a more visually interesting version of the Souls games, which I haven't played any of, yet, but other than that, I can't think of any exclusives that have grabbed my interest thus far.

Foggle

PS4 also has No Man's Sky, Silent Hills (which I believe is going to be exclusive), Ratchet & Clank Remake, and Yakuza 0. Unfortunately, one of those games doesn't even have a teaser released, one of them is rumored to also be coming to PC, and one of them will never get an official English release (though that won't stop me from playing the inevitable fan-translated version).

At the moment, the Wii U is sweeping the competition, and the Xbone is the only of the other two with a tangible excellent-looking exclusive releasing this year (Sunset Overdrive), but I think Sony will at least be beating out MS by this time next year. Especially because Microsoft has finally taken notice of the PC this gen, and seems to be porting any and all of their noteworthy Xbone exclusives about a year after release.

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 30, 2014, 10:36:24 AM
when ar overreacted and said y'all would only get a wii u and pc this gen and this gen would be the last time you would buy game consoles because y'all somehow "knew" that ps4 and x1 would have mostly movie games...a year or so before the consoles came out and when there were barely any games announced. predictively enough, y'all have expressed interest in a number of games from both, a lot of them major titles and none of them are movie games. oh and some of them are from your favorite developers from last gen but for some reason y'all didn't factor them in during those silly movie game rants.
I will own up to this and admit that I was being overly cynical back then. In an effort to become a more optimistic and positive person, I've really expanded my appreciation of video games over the past two years.

It also really helps that we haven't seen footage from any games that look like movies thus far, The Order aside.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Loosely related to the bull-shit of that guy from up above, I found this video doing an analysis of the themes of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance as a metaphor for gaming and the people who play games. Of course it's a bit of a stretch, but the actual points made have validity to them in terms of gaming in general.

The basic thesis of the analysis is that, us, just like Raiden in the game, play games because we enjoy them (just like how Raiden enjoys killing). However, in recent years the concern for having to look at games as an art form has caused people to look to other justifications for why games are worth being studied and analyzed on a deer level, yet in that pursuit many people (such as the pretentious ass-wipe who posted that blog) have forgotten the reasons for why games are PLAYED to begin with. This is represented in the game for Raiden hiding behind the ideals of justice as his reasons for killing, but later admitting that he was always in this business because he liked the violence, even if it was meaningless to most people in the end, it still meant something to him that he liked.

Are these arguments a stretch when it comes to the subtext of this game. Perhaps they might be. However, you can't deny that his general points on gaming and how modern gamers perceive them is spot-on, and works as a perfect counter-argument to the douche-bag from that website, even if only indirectly since this video wasn't even talking about anything relating to that guy or his blog. Anyways, I just thought that it was interesting food for thought.

Foggle

Good video. Considering Platinum's commitment to fun, and Metal Gear's propensity for including themes directly relating to gaming and/or gamers, I wouldn't be surprised if this analysis were accurate.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Either way, I think that most of us can agree that MGR is great because it's fun and embraces the fact that it's violent an not trying to act the least bit pretentious about it. Idiots like that blogger above probably wouldn't even take into consideration that a game like that caters to a specific demographic of people who actually like to play action games because they enjoy good fighting. He'd try to analyze the story and call it ridiculous and shallow (completely missing the themes that this video brought up) while complaining that the gameplay is too difficult and cheap.

On that end, one thing that really bothers me about modern gamers is that they have no propensity for experimentation and discovery anymore, so their natural instinct when a game is too tough for them at first is to give up on it and call it broken. The mechanics in MGRR, while not perfect, are completely solid, and Platinum as a developer trusts you, the player, to figure out how to use the mechanics to make the gameplay work in your favor. For instance, a normal player would try the offensive defense move once and assume that it was useless after it didn't fulfill any notion of instant gratification. A more old-school gamer would experiment with it and realize that it functions as an extremely useful dodge move. I once criticized the game for not doing a good job of teaching you it's base mechanics, but I now retract that statement. I have since come to realize that most of my favorite games ever purposefully leave those mechanics for you to discover.

This is something that's missing from games more and more as they become more modernized. I watched a Halo tutorial video for Legendary mode a few weeks back, and the commentator also explained that, unlike a lot of other modern shooters, Bungie left it up to the player to figure out how to get past each situation and use each weapon to your advantage. And of course, being Halo, there were numerous options that you had at your disposal. More modern move shooters these days would mostly spell everything out for you in the campaign mode, robbing you of the sense of fun that actually comes from learning the game and getting better at it.

This is the formula that made so many older games popular as well. Like, back when I first played Mega Man X, I never knew that you could find armor upgrades that made the playing field significantly more advantageous for you, especially the one with the special charge shot, until late into my first playthrough, however. It felt so much more rewarding to discover it on my own rather than have the game just flat-out give it to me. In DMC3, several boss fights caused me multiple trial and error runs before I finally got their patterns down,yet after several playthroughs, there is almost nothing more satisfying than killing them in a matter of literally seconds once you know what to do and what weapons and attacks absolutely obliterate their health.

And, going back to MGRR, learning that your perfect parries are ten times as powerful on Revengeance mode and take out 70% of a boss's health with one successful stroke made it so satisfying to kill some bosses so quickly that they didn't even have time to activate the 2nd or 3rd phases of their fights. Learning how to play a game is arguably the most fun that I, personally, ever have with playing games, and seeing that element of gaming rapidly fading away makes me really sad. :(

Spark Of Spirit

Man, Wonderful 101's story was amazingly epic. And only because it was pure video game. Platinum knows that games are fun, so stories should match the gameplay.

Also, still have no plans for a new system. My dad will probably get a PS4 eventually, but I'm just not interested.

talonmalon333

I'm not currently interested in any of the current consoles. The Wii U will get me eventually, though. It just needs more games that I need to own. Plus, once Zelda Wii U has a release date, it'll just be a matter of time.

Foggle

I will definitely be getting a PS4, if only for the Yakuza prequel. That's going to be a must-play for any fan of the series or Japanese crime culture. There are a bunch of other games I also want for the system, though.

Rynnec

Most of the PS4 games I want will also be on the PS3, so I'm good for now.