Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Even worse than I thought. And it sounds like they are removing his name from everything they can, even more than the game box art.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Peanutbutter

Is Konami planning to merge with someone? Because that's the only explanation I can think of for why they'd dump Kojima like this. This sounds even worse than what happened with Inafune and Capcom. If this is completely true, Konami is run by real greedy idiots. Other than Metal Gear and Silent Hill, Konami is worthless as an AAA company.

I don't think Phantom Pain will suffer from this, as I think he was mostly done with this. But now I'm a bit worried for Silent Hill, especially since that playable trailer was pretty good.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Back when it was announced that Tomonobu Itagaki was leaving Tecmo, their stock market value "coincidentally" sank considerably right after that news hit the Internet.

I'll laugh my ass off if the same thing happens to Konami after Kojima leaves.

The funny thing is that at one point in time, Konami had a lot of great IPs besides just MGS to support them. Stuff like Castlevania was actually really big in the 90's, and the Sparkster and Splatterhouse franchises, among many others, had core devoted fan-bases to support them. But by the 2000's Konami only really seemed to be putting effort into MGS (and Silent Hill just for the first half of that decade) and even other well-received Kojima projects like Zone of the Enders were forgotten about.

Now they are axing off the man and development team responsible for making their only remaining successful AAA franchise so successful in the first place. How exactly does this make any business sense?

Avaitor

Well, it looks like Konami's done for. It was a good run for a while, at least.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Not even the Konami Code can save them now.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 19, 2015, 03:36:34 PM
Back when it was announced that Tomonobu Itagaki was leaving Tecmo, their stock market value "coincidentally" sank considerably right after that news hit the Internet.

I'll laugh my ass off if the same thing happens to Konami after Kojima leaves.
It already has!

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 19, 2015, 12:31:02 PM
Today in video game news:
Surely to be more idiocy and bad news, I'm sure.

Quote from: Foggle on March 19, 2015, 12:31:02 PMKojima might be leaving Konami
Konami might as well shutter their game division. It's done.

Quote from: Foggle on March 19, 2015, 12:31:02 PMHalf-Life 3 basically confirmed never happening
They can't make a game with 3 in the title. It's simply against their very being.

Quote from: Foggle on March 19, 2015, 12:31:02 PMNew Conker game is Project Spark trash
Good 'ol Microsoft.  Still misusing Rare.

Quote from: Foggle on March 19, 2015, 12:31:02 PMWelp. :pedro_nooo:
Looks like I was right.

In one generation the industry is already almost dead.

Amazing work.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 19, 2015, 07:14:22 PM
In one generation the industry is already almost dead.
This isn't a stab at you, but I'm tired of people saying this. Kamiya is back, Mikami is back, Inafune is back, Itagaki is back, old Rareware is back, Kojima will be back. This is the first generation where Nintendo has truly impressed me since the N64, actual effort is being put into PC development again, cRPGs and collectathons are seeing a resurgence, and Square Enix is reportedly getting back into making great JRPGs again. Despite the practical shuttering of some of the best publishers from years past, plenty of talented new studios have popped up since then.

I mean, I'm angry that Kojima and his team have been fucked over by Konami, but they might have a chance to do more and better work elsewhere. I'm annoyed that Microsoft is wasting Conker and Banjo, but the creator of Conker is off making his own game while some of the old Rareware guys are developing a true Banjo-Threeie. It's heartbreaking that Half-Life 3 will probably never come out, but with confirmation of that, the insanely dedicated and talented fanbase will likely whip up a Valve-quality total conversion mod within the next 5 years. The industry is not going to die without Capcom, Sega, and Konami in prominent positions. I mean, they've barely even done anything of value for years and we've been fine.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on March 20, 2015, 11:28:21 AM
This is the first generation where Nintendo has truly impressed me since the N64

How so? i haven't yet felt an insensitive to get a Wii U.

Foggle

Amazing games both released and upcoming, better understanding of how to run an internet shop, being able to play classic handheld games on a TV, better backwards compatibility, no motion control bullshit, the first truly good D-pad from any first party in countless years.

Just look at this list of games:
Bayonetta 2 (even better than the original, which it comes packaged with)
Devil's Third
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (best in the series by far)
Fatal Frame 5
The Legend of Zelda (open-world game with Nintendo-level polish, holy shit)
Mario Kart 8 (best in the series by far)
Pikmin 3
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
Splatoon
Star Fox (this one will probably not be terrible)
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros. 4 (best in the series by far)
The Wonderful 101
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World

Plus, fucking Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Metroid: Zero Mission, and Zelda: The Minish Cap. On my TV. That's huge for me.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on March 20, 2015, 12:05:51 PM
Amazing games both released and upcoming, better understanding of how to run an internet shop, being able to play classic handheld games on a TV, better backwards compatibility, no motion control bullshit, the first truly good D-pad from any first party in countless years.

Just look at this list of games:
Bayonetta 2 (even better than the original, which it comes packaged with)
Devil's Third
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (best in the series by far)
Fatal Frame 5
The Legend of Zelda (open-world game with Nintendo-level polish, holy shit)
Mario Kart 8 (best in the series by far)
Pikmin 3
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
Splatoon
Star Fox (this one will probably not be terrible)
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros. 4 (best in the series by far)
The Wonderful 101
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World

I'll give you most of those. Especially Zelda. Previews for that gave me chills.

Star Fox seems like it'll be the first since 64 to have Miyamoto. There's certainly hope

Quote from: Foggle on March 20, 2015, 12:05:51 PM
Plus, fucking Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Metroid: Zero Mission, and Zelda: Tihe Minish Cap. On my TV. That's huge for me.

We got that back in the GCN era. :light:

gunswordfist

I'd uppercut Spark if I didn't promise to be nice to him. :bleh:

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 20, 2015, 12:14:37 PM
We got that back in the GCN era. :light:
That's true, but the Game Boy Player was kind of impractical (and most people didn't seem to know about it), also I believe the Wii U's emulation is better. ;)

In Metal Gear news, Konami is already hiring people to replace Kojima and KojiPro. They're in for a rude awakening when every MGS after Phantom Pain sells below expectations.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So....does this mean no chance of a Metal Gear Rising 2?