Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 22, 2015, 12:58:37 PM
Quote from: Foggle on March 22, 2015, 12:11:31 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 22, 2015, 12:41:32 AM
I agree. My problem started with VIII when every character just looked a bit too perfect, and now every game looks the same.
I do not agree with this at all.
Every mainline numerical game, then. :P
That is what I'm disagreeing with.

These all look pretty different to me in terms of both art style and character design.

talonmalon333

I was more referring to the lead characters in the games minus 9 (and 11 as it just hit me that I've never given that game any mind). They frequently have just really perfect hair and overall looks. Just seems kind of unnatural to me. The environments and enemies always look great, but we were talking about the character models with VII.

Foggle

I'm talking about the character models too. While each one shares perfect hair - a trope common to video games as a whole - and weird clothing, they all still look pretty different from each other. I don't see how you can say every recent game looks the same when 12-15 (the newest entries in the main series) all have completely different art styles.

talonmalon333

Fair enough, but I still find myself looking at some characters, such as 13's lead, and thinking they should be headlining a Japanese pop concert. :P

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 22, 2015, 09:50:46 AM
What about IX? I'm not a huge FF fan, but I found the more classic style of character designs more appealing in that game. A lot of fans don't seem to like the more "cartoony" style, but I found it to be fresh, unique, and well-done, myself.
Early FF character design (and IX) are the best designs, in my mind. Never really cared for any of the modern designs outside of a handful of characters.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I do like Cloud as a character, though. He does have some cliche RPG things about him, but they were hardly cliche at the time. Besides, execution is what's important and I think he's likable enough.

Foggle

One of the reasons why I love Crisis Core is that I think Zack is the best lead character in the series. He's just super likable. Noctis exhibits a similar air of friendliness and fun-loving in the FF15 demo. We need more characters like them in games.

Spark Of Spirit

Yes, more main characters like Sabin, Edward, Locke, Bartz, Zidane, and so on would be preferable to Squall types.

Though as long as they're not the other end of the spectrum like Tidus, then I'm good.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 23, 2015, 02:24:39 PM
I do like Cloud as a character, though. He does have some cliche RPG things about him, but they were hardly cliche at the time. Besides, execution is what's important and I think he's likable enough.

Same, this is also how I feel about Squall.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Peanutbutter on March 24, 2015, 11:21:24 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on March 23, 2015, 02:24:39 PM

Same, this is also how I feel about Squall.
Same here, about Squall. It's like hating Shrek for all the trends he created or at least popularized.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

I still don't get why people think Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 is better than 2. 1 gets boring after awhile and has outdated gameplay, just like the X-Men Legends games. MUA2 is addictive for all day long and is the best 3D beat em up to come out since The Warriors. I'm guessing people just have a stupid loyalty to X-Men Legends' brand of gameplay.

Foggle

Just saw a report that alleges Prey 2 was cancelled because Bethesda tried to purchase Human Head by way of abusing the milestone system to force the developers to work without pay until they could eventually be strong-armed into selling their studio. Human Head refused to bite and went on strike; thus the game ceased to exist.

Apparently Bethesda's disgusting tactics have succeeded in other instances, though. Supposedly that's how they were able to acquire Id, Arkane, Tango, and Machine Games. :shit:

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit