Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

You guys do realize that HD remasters are ports and not actually remakes, right? Granted, they had to recreate a lot of the art assets for X, but a full-on remake would require exponentially more time, money, and effort that could be better spent on making new games.

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 07, 2015, 05:19:27 PM
Remember when Microsoft used to make 3D platformers? Pepperidge Farm does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm-JPvFGIaA
I always wanted to play this game. Too bad it doesn't work on the 360. :'(

talonmalon333

Yeah, I'm not sure what this discussion was about. :P

I think Square stated that making a VII remake on the scale of FFXIII would be difficult because it would require far more money considering the content of the game, in that it is not corridor-based. They are basically admitting that XIII was a weak game and therefore wasn't overly expensive.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 07, 2015, 05:55:03 PMThey are basically admitting that XIII was a weak game and therefore wasn't overly expensive.
Ding ding ding.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

The conversation was about Square being cheap, all along!

Quote from: Foggle on May 07, 2015, 05:30:51 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on May 07, 2015, 05:19:27 PM
Remember when Microsoft used to make 3D platformers? Pepperidge Farm does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm-JPvFGIaA
I always wanted to play this game. Too bad it doesn't work on the 360. :'(
I've been interested in it since I saw it on G4 generations ago. I was surprised to see that a Microsoft studio made it. This was before shooters dominated the market and at the tale end of the 3D mascot platformer generation, apparently. The game reminds me of a lot of N64 and PS1 platformers.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 07, 2015, 05:55:03 PM
I think Square stated that making a VII remake on the scale of FFXIII would be difficult because it would require far more money considering the content of the game, in that it is not corridor-based. They are basically admitting that XIII was a weak game and therefore wasn't overly expensive.
It cost 65 million dollars to make. While they may be admitting that FF13 was more linear than previous entries, it was still one of the most expensive games ever developed. You're dreaming if you think anyone would willingly spend 100+ million on a remake of something that most people still consider to be perfectly fine. I would hardly call that being cheap.

Spark Of Spirit

That doesn't say much at all for FFXIII's game design.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Exactly, great graphics don't magically make a game better, so it would be a waste to drop that much cash on what would essentially be a 1:1 remake. REmake, Zero Mission, Black Mesa, etc. are excellent because they do a lot more than just update the graphics. By nature of being a turn-based RPG, an FF7 remake would - more likely than not - add nothing of value beyond improved visuals and full voice acting. That's not worth $100 million.

talonmalon333

I said nothing about them being cheap. I was just pointing out that they basically admitted that VII is better.

Also, I think Square would be printing money if they remade FFVII.

gunswordfist

talonmalon333

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 07, 2015, 09:12:46 PM
Also, I think Square would be printing money if they remade FFVII.
It's a lot more viable now, I think. So maybe they will someday.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 07, 2015, 09:15:50 PM
Just take deep breaths, GSF.
:whuh:

talonmalon333

I think they said they would only consider remaking FFVII if they made a game that surpasses it... yeah.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 07, 2015, 09:14:58 PM
Ok, now I'm just confused.
If they made both Final Fantasy VII and XIII now at the same time in the same engine, FFVII would cost considerably more to make. Which means FFXIII is not as in depth or complex of a game as FFVII is.

In other words, FFXIII continues to be a laughing stock.

gunswordfist

Gotcha. And go to Hell, please, talon. :thinkin:

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 07, 2015, 09:19:57 PM
I think they said they would only consider remaking FFVII if they made a game that surpasses it... yeah.
But they already did. They were called FF 4, 5, 6, 9, Crisis Core, and Type-0. :>