Things That Bother You About Gaming

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 17, 2011, 03:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah. I saw that a couple of hours ago.

To be honest, I'm not surprised considering the development hell that this game has been through thanks to Itagaki's shit luck. It's a shame though that it won't get a release, though. I would have at least given it a try.

I'll be really sad if this game causes VGS to go under, though. They deserve another chance to develop a great action game under good financial support and an actual stable development cycle. I can't stand the idiots claiming that Itagaki is a shitty head developer while completely ignoring the quality of his previous games and the obvious fact that this game was clearly butchered when THQ went under.

Spark Of Spirit

That would really be awful if it turned out bad, but I guess it wouldn't be too surprising. Still, this whole thing is a real mess.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Lesson to br learned for all developers: make sure you can get the backing of companies that aren't likely to go under during your development process.

This happened three times for VGS: once with the company that designed the original engine that they were using, once with THQ, and once again with Doobic (the Korean company that they temporarily partnered with). VGS failed as businessmen rather than as developers, it would seem.

Foggle

I have to wonder if this is one of those scenarios where the original version of the game was scrapped late in development and they had to piece the finished product together using scraps. The original Devil's Third reveal trailer looked more polished/fast-paced/Ninja Gaiden-esque than the more recent footage IMO.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 09, 2015, 09:15:05 PM
Lesson to br learned for all developers: make sure you can get the backing of companies that aren't likely to go under during your development process.

This happened three times for VGS: once with the company that designed the original engine that they were using, once with THQ, and once again with Doobic (the Korean company that they temporarily partnered with). VGS failed as businessmen rather than as developers, it would seem.
To be fair, I don't think anyone could have predicted THQ going under. They seemed to be doing great and then died rather suddenly.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

When we eventually learn about this game's development, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the game was originally a lot more fluid and fun to play before shit hit the fan with THQ.

Foggle

I think the main problem is that THQ was the only publisher to truly believe in Itagaki's vision. When they died, the dream died with it.

If DT doesn't kill VGS (and I hope it doesn't), I could easily see Square Enix picking them up for their next game. They've really turned themselves around under Matsuda.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really hope that they do. Or that someone saves VGS. They just have way too much talent to be wasted on one flop that happened due to bad luck.

gunswordfist

Square Enix is a pretty damn good publisher.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Siliconera is reporting that Devil's Third has already been picked up for US distribution, and it's by a publisher "most of their readers will be familiar with." So, probably XSeed, NIS, or Atlus. http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/10/devils-third-wont-be-published-by-nintendo-of-america-but-it-is-coming-here/

In less good news, Akio Otsuka (Solid Snake's Japanese voice actor) has confirmed the complete disbandment of Kojima Productions. http://gematsu.com/2015/07/solid-snake-japanese-voice-actor-kojima-productions-disbanded

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on July 10, 2015, 09:29:04 PM
In less good news, Akio Otsuka (Solid Snake's Japanese voice actor) has confirmed the complete disbandment of Kojima Productions. http://gematsu.com/2015/07/solid-snake-japanese-voice-actor-kojima-productions-disbanded

Didn't they already confirm that it would disband after MGSV, though?

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 11, 2015, 01:22:59 AM
Didn't they already confirm that it would disband after MGSV, though?
It was never truly confirmed before, just widely rumored and fairly obvious.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/619916072884420609

Is it possible that Unseen64 might have been misinformed about NoA's intentions? Itagaki himself seems to hint so: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-exclusive-devils-third-dev-responds-to-lies-/1100-6428797/

The game could still suck, but maybe Nintendo still wants to support VGS as much as they can, after all. Who really knows?

Foggle

Foggle

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, one of the greatest people in the entire industry, has passed away. This is a dark day for gaming, and the world in general.

RIP.

gunswordfist

Yeah, that hit me pretty hard. R.I.P Iwata.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody