Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shadow Gentleman

I'm guessing it's connected to that whole "First Avatar" thing happening this season.

Nel_Annette

Spark Of Spirit

You didn't really miss much. Not a lot actually happened.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I wouldn't say not a lot happened; I mean, it's not like you could continue watching the rest of the season without these first 2 episodes. The first episode seemed to be more about establishing the new status quo of the characters, so not a lot of plot was covered, there. I do like that we are getting to learn a lot about the history of the Southern and Northern Water Tribes in these episodes, as anything to help with world-building is pretty interesting to me. I think Korra was a bit annoying with her usual hot-head attitude, though. Maybe I've watched too much fiction, but Korra was acting so text-book predictable in these 2 episodes. Its so obvious that her father and Tenzin mean well for her, yet she turns her back on them for her uncle just because she's tired of the other 2 being strict with her (essentially), while its pretty clear to the viewer that the uncle has ulterior motives, whether his actual intentions are good or not.

I also like that we are getting to see Tenzin's relationship with his siblings. So far, he's been the most interesting character in this series to me since Book 1, so I hope he continues to get more focus as the series progresses.

VLordGTZ

I thought last nights premiere was pretty good.   I'm interested to find out what the hell was going on with that statue in the air temple and how its going to relate to the main story. 

The Shadow Gentleman

I actually laughed when Korra punched the spirit portal thingy.  :D

And I agree with Tenzin being the most interesting character. I just wish Bolin was used for more then comic relief.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Speaking of Bolin, I always thought he would have been a better fit than Mako in trying to become a member of the police. I figured that since he's an earthbender, Lin could have been both a good commanding officer and mentor to him, and she probably could have helped him learn metal bending as well, to further enhance his own skills. It seems, though, like the writers of this show are pretty much determined to keep Bolin as a pure comic relief character.

Grave

I'm currently watching the premiere and I'm liking what I see. I can certainly see why there's an issue with Korra turning her back on Tenzin and siding with her uncle, but at the same time I understand it from her and her uncle's side as well, however, Korra talking with her father the way she is doing, that's where my problem lies.

And with this 2nd episode, she's turning into a brat and it's becoming an annoyance. This is the exact reason why Ed (FMA) got on my nerves in the 2003 series. And I usually like Korra's fiery attitude, but this bratty-ness is making her worst than Aang, and we know how much I hate Aang. If I were to compare this to how I was brought up, and I talked to my father the way she did, I'd be picking myself up off the floor (sucks that it's considered child abuse now, because a lot of these folks need it)

What's even more crazy is that I'm liking Mako a lot more than Korra at the moment and I couldn't stand him by the time Book 1 ended.

As far as interesting goes, Tenzin's daughter in what she is seeing is probably the thing I'm mostly curious about and I want to see how she develops because she could prove to be even wiser/greater than everyone in this show.

Overall, this was rather decent, but I am tired of the family rivalries. I mean, how many times will this angle be used before it gets dug so far in the ground. You got Iroh and Ozai, Zuko and Azula, Amon and I can't remember the brother's name, and now we have Korra's father and uncle, which clearly looks like he's the mastermind behind everything.

Spark Of Spirit

Her uselessly punching the ground was pretty funny. I would have thought she would have learned better by now.  :>

The premiere was okay, but being that this is the third water tribe villain I was hoping for something a bit more from the antagonist. Because let's face it, we're going to learn that he summoned the spirits to attack in order to "make them see, MAKE THEM ALL SEE" which barring a twist would be fairly boring.

I'm hoping for better, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Except for some of Bolin's jokes falling flat with me, and Asami's scenes being a bit too short, I enjoyed the premiere episodes. I didn't have a problem with Korra's attitude because it made sense that she'd have a bit of a swelled head from besting Amon and his minions. The way I saw it, neither her or her father and Tenzin were shown to be right or wrong. They had some good points on their sides, but how they went about them was a mistake. Korra was brash, but she's not an irredeemable brat. Thankfully, the third episode was proof of this. She apologized to her father, and no doubt will do so with Tenzin the next time she sees him.

I have to say, I really love Kya and Bumi. I don't know for sure where they'll ultimately go with their childhood memories in contrast to Tenzin, but at least they're both very fun and different characters among the cast. Varrick and the twins are hilarious. With Unalaq, he may be revealed as a villain, but I'm not so sure he's going to the main villain this season. Maybe I'm the only one, but he feels like a red herring or being set up to be overshadowed by a bigger threat. Last season did have two villains, after all.

Nel_Annette

I feel like I'm begrudgingly watching this show at this point. Besides Varrick, everything is so... underwhelming. Unalaq makes for a boring villain, Korra's annoying, Bolin's subplot with Eska might be the stupidest thing this show has done, and I haven't even like Tenzin's side story with his siblings. Hopefully the next few episodes takes us away from this water tribe stuff for a while.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Nel_Annette on September 27, 2013, 08:34:10 PMUnalaq makes for a boring villain

So were Ozai and Amon, for that matter.

QuoteKorra's annoying

Agreed.

QuoteBolin's subplot with Eska might be the stupidest thing this show has done

Disagree on this bit, here. I actually find it legitimately funny. Bolin was WAY worse in season 1, while we're on the subject. I mean, on top of not being funny, he had no other purpose besides being the comic relief (and one who wasn't even very funny, at that). At least in this season he has a legitimate role, by being the main group's connection to Varrick.

Quoteand I haven't even like Tenzin's side story with his siblings. Hopefully the next few episodes takes us away from this water tribe stuff for a while.

I really like Tenzin's story, myself. Perhaps that's because I can kind of relate to his dilemma with his siblings in some way, though. I also like how his side of the story this season is centered around family. I like that theme. Not everything has to be some big epic adventure or set-piece story to be good. I think some good ever-day values should be explored as well, which is why I like how Tenzin's side of the story has a fair amount of focus in this story besides just Korra's antics.

As far as this season goes, I think it's OK. I was never the biggest Avatar fan to begin with, and even when I did finally warm up to the original show, I still wouldn't call it one of the best animated shows of all time, even if everyone else believes it is. I do think that books 2 and 3 of The Last Airbender were really good stuff for the most part, though, so compared to that Korra is definitely lacking, but I also do still find it to be an enjoyable show on its own terms, while not ignoring that it has some pretty big flaws.

I don't know, maybe that comes off as me having low standards, but it's not like I'm calling this show great. I just naturally look for what I like in something rather than what I don't like, so I guess that's the difference between how I'm viewing this season and how most other people are. I would critique its flaws myself, but everyone else has already done a good job of that. So, naturally I just like to be the odd one out and stick up for the things that I personally think that it does right.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 28, 2013, 12:00:54 PM
Quote from: Nel_Annette on September 27, 2013, 08:34:10 PM
Bolin's subplot with Eska might be the stupidest thing this show has done
Disagree on this bit, here. I actually find it legitimately funny. Bolin was WAY worse in season 1, while we're on the subject. I mean, on top of not being funny, he had no other purpose besides being the comic relief (and one who wasn't even very funny, at that). At least in this season he has a legitimate role, by being the main group's connection to Varrick.
While I thinks it's been funny at times, the abusive nature of it is kind of offsetting.

QuoteI really like Tenzin's story, myself. Perhaps that's because I can kind of relate to his dilemma with his siblings in some way, though. I also like how his side of the story this season is centered around family. I like that theme. Not everything has to be some big epic adventure or set-piece story to be good. I think some good ever-day values should be explored as well, which is why I like how Tenzin's side of the story has a fair amount of focus in this story besides just Korra's antics.
Agreed. It's really been the best handled part of the season thus far.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on September 28, 2013, 12:51:00 PMWhile I thinks it's been funny at times, the abusive nature of it is kind of offsetting.

I don't really see it as abusive (that's a pretty strong word, and I've seen some of it first-hand, so I wouldn't use it for a situation like in this series). The humor is just that Eska is a control freak with a superiority complex, so Bolin unwittingly screwed himself by getting involved with her to begin with. I see it less as Eska abusing Bolin and more as it being Bolin's own nature to get himself in these kinds of situations in the first place. It's just like how he got himself involved with the gangsters in Republic City early on in the first season.

QuoteAgreed. It's really been the best handled part of the season thus far.

Maybe instead of making the next two seasons Book 3 and 4 for Korra, they should just rename the show The Legend of Tenzin and make it about him. He's not only the best part of this season, IMO, but he's easily the most interesting thing about the show in general.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 28, 2013, 01:45:58 PM
Quote from: ShadowGentleman on September 28, 2013, 12:51:00 PMWhile I thinks it's been funny at times, the abusive nature of it is kind of offsetting.

I don't really see it as abusive (that's a pretty strong word, and I've seen some of it first-hand, so I wouldn't use it for a situation like in this series). The humor is just that Eska is a control freak with a superiority complex, so Bolin unwittingly screwed himself by getting involved with her to begin with. I see it less as Eska abusing Bolin and more as it being Bolin's own nature to get himself in these kinds of situations in the first place. It's just like how he got himself involved with the gangsters in Republic City early on in the first season.
It probably is a strong term, but it still doesn't sit well with me. I mean, the guy didn't know what she was really like until it was to late, and she (supposedly) threatened to do some nasty stuff to him when he tried to break up with her. I guess I just can't stand how they're keeping Bolin stuck as the comedy relief who never gets to have a serious moment. It seems like a waste of some perfectly good character development.

But I have to admit, Eska's face at the end was hilarious.  :D