Started by Avaitor, July 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Pretty good stuff. I was surprised at the connection between Zaheer and Unalaq, and I like Zaheer's misguided anti-government ideology, which I find nice since the season went out of it's way to show inept/corrupt government leaders in this season, and as we've seen from this series in the past. It should be fun seeing the Red Lotus go up against the Earth Queen's forces with Korra and co. caught in the middle, next episode.

Daikun

We finally learn the antagonist's motivation! Go watch this one, people!

Nel_Annette

Welp, Aiwei got fucked. So is he just going to rot in the physical world in a meditative pose for the rest of his body's life? I also liked how it tied into the events of last season, and how Zaheer, while misguided, does have a point when compared to what we've seen of corrupt leadership in the franchise. And I am curious as to how many more members of the Red Lotus there actually are. I also felt so bad for Bolin and Mako. They were clearly outmatched during that fight, and it was hard to watch them hang on while slowly losing.

The ending did surprise me with who captured Korra though. Looks like Ba Sing Se is going to become a war zone once the Red Lotus shows up. The Dai Lee have always come across as way more competent than the average White Lotus soldiers.

Dr. Insomniac

Thanks to the voice actor, I think Zaheer is what happens when Mad Stan converts to Buddhism.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 02, 2014, 08:15:50 PM
Thanks to the voice actor, I think Zaheer is what happens when Mad Stan converts to Buddhism.

Doesn't help either that both of them look exactly like Rollins.

Nel_Annette

Watched the new one. Jeez, airbending can be downright devastating when a bad guy's using it. And I can't believe they showed that death on screen. Provided they don't wuss out and Zaheer really did just go the whole way with that.

Daikun

Wow. The prison guard is a dumbass.

gunswordfist

i watched episode 8 again since i missed the first 6 or so minutes before the guards spotted the red lotus so i saw opal getting sent away and bolin still sucking at metalbending. episode 9 and 10: so zaheer sends iwai (sp?), a guy on his side, basically to hell and he captured most of team avatar and i am supposed to take him seriously when he talks about freeing the world? the whole anarchy thing sounded stupid too. i do wish the earth queen didnt get killed due to the potential 3 sided war you could swear they were setting up (and rl's fight with the dai li wasn't that good since they clinchedily blew through them) but it was interesting watching the queen get brutally murdered. so that's why they always have firebenders kill people! and zuko is finally back. i hope they do this team up right. oh and asami got some good screentime. her and korra kind of had their version of atla's the storm. all in all, things have been less exciting since they first left ba sing se. they made lin look bad, even after she attacked her sister, with how she barked about iwai questioning her. zaheer's motives look stupid. they kill off iwai, the franchise's first metalbending villain, just to make zaheer look badass. iwai seemed pretty interesting (the guy was a human lie detector. that reminds me of how togashi has made a few interesting battle of wits with characters like that) and he becomes even moreso when it's revealed that he can and has gone to the spirit world...then zaheer tosses his soul. on the plus side, i liked the scene when bolin casually chats with water arms and lava bender. quiet water arms alone has more personality than unalaq and his kids put together. lava bender might be my favorite red lotus member soon.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm not sure if the Earth Queen is dead if only because I find it hard to believe that Nickelodeon would allow such a disturbing (by kids show standards) on-screen death in any of their shows, even if it was just online only, but I guess we'll see.

I don't think that Zaheer's motives seem stupid. He just wants anarchy as he doesn't believe any form of government is valid, and that it restricts people's freedom. It's just that the way he goes about it is clearly bad. In a way he kind of reminds me of Sensui from Yu Yu Hakusho, in that he believes what he is doing is right, but he clearly uses villainous tactics to get what he wants which makes him feel a bit more shallow than he should be. The difference is that Sensui, who believed that humanity as a whole was just an evil species and who's goal was to wipe them out at least knew and fully acknowledged that he was no better than anyone else and that he must be subject to the same punishment as those he condemned, once the deed was done. Basically, he didn't have double-standards, whereas I feel that Zaheer, who supposedly has only good intentions, is using his abilities in ways contrary to how someone do his viewpoint really should. He may speak up for freedom, but his idea of a free world certainly wouldn't make for a peaceful one.

Nel_Annette

Well... today's episode was probably one of the most tense in the entire franchise. Holy shit. But at least I got the airbender vs. airbender battle I wanted.

Spoiler
Tenzin seemed to be beating Zaheer until P'li came in.
[close]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I have to admit, I was almost convinced that they would kill off Tenzin in this episode with the way that things were playing out. It's still possible, but man was that an amazing fight. We finally got to see 2 airbenders clash, and it was absolutely spectacular.

Nel_Annette

Wow... they, uh, managed to wrap that up in two episodes. I'm... impressed, actually. So many people thought the Zaheer thing would continue into Book Four, but I guess the Red Lotus members we haven't met yet will be the focus of that.

As for these:

Spoiler
YOU CAN FLY, YOU CAN FLY, YOU CAN FLLLLYYYYYY!!! But seriously, I like that as the Guru Lahima payoff. Let go of all worldly possessions (i.e., your girlfriend who just blew up her own head thanks to the Beifongs), and Zaheer can fly. I'm glad that his ultimate downfall was the other airbenders. Yeah, they have powers too buddy.

And I totally called Bolin lavabending instead of metalbending. I actually clapped when he did that. And Mako finally using that lightning power to take out Ming Hua. Or kill her. Since Ghazan collapsed that whole place, I'm assuming those three are dead and only Zaheer is back in prison.
[close]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Next time, on Korra Ball Z....[sorry, I couldn't resist] :sweat:

Those action scenes were amazing. I mean, more so than this show's usual standards, which is really impressive.

In a way I kind of wished that the plot would carry over into Book 4, as just like with the MCU movies, I'm tired of the formula of the big bad losing in each season of Korra and some completely new conflict happening next. On that end, as exciting as this finale was, it did feel incredibly rushed to wrap things up into a neat little bow. Granted that, at least it has left Korra with both physical and mental damage to overcome, so I expect that to be a focal point of the next season. Overall, though, I'd say that, while still not TLA levels of quality, this has been the best and most enjoyable Korra season, so far.

Daikun

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 22, 2014, 05:37:40 PMOn that end, as exciting as this finale was, it did feel incredibly rushed to wrap things up into a neat little bow.

Not quite. The Earth Kingdom is still in disarray, and Republic City is still dealing with a spirit problem.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm not talking about the after-effects, though. I mean how they just manage to stop the Zaheer and the Red Lotus's plans so quickly. They were giving them so much trouble before, but it only took a 2-parter to turn things around and wipe out the main members. It's a shame because they seemed like interesting enough villains that would have been nice to learn more about their history. As it is, nothing was really revealed about any of them outside of their motivations, and since 3 of the 4 are pretty much dead, we probably won't get to learn more about them at all. Of course, since Zaheer is still alive, it's completely possible that he will appear again in book 4, but I have a feeling that the focus will be completely different.