What Are You Watching?

Started by Avaitor, October 21, 2012, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Pretty good sounding dub. I like Eddy's voice better than the Hindi version, at least.

Avaitor

It's kind of what I'd expect, actually.

I swear that Asuka's VA is voicing Sarah, though. But I'm not sure how to check, heh.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

So, for this April Fools day, first [adult swim] aired a new episode of Perfect Hair Forever, and now they're having a Space Ghost: Coast to Coast marathon, it seems.

VlordGTZ, if you're still up, please record this.

gunswordfist

A day or two ago, I read online that Young Justice and GL have been back on Netflix since the 30th. This afternoon, I watched episode 1 of Young Justice. I haven't seen the show in like 2 years. I got up to like episode 10 before I lost CN. The show was very slow but it still held my interest.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Watched about 4 episodes of Young Justice yesterday. Still just catching up. I've been wondering..why hasn't Miss Martian been using her powers more? She could have easily smashed Mister Twister with her telekinesis or at least lifted him and their mics where jammed in the Bane episode...but I'm sure Aqualad could have just asked her to telepathically link them. I know their team has brain farts but this just seems pointlessly stupid.

gunswordfist

I'm up to the Downtime episode. I remember that episode being boring...and boy was I wrong. It had probably the best underwater battle I've ever seen.

Avaitor

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

That's an interesting list. I don't really agree with a lot of the ordering, though (Frozen over Lion King? Um...) and King Kong and Roger Rabbit really shouldn't qualify to be on it since they are predominantly live-action films. I'm also disappointed that Beautiful Dreamer, Summer Wars, Wolf Children, and Redline weren't on the list, for obvious reasons.

gunswordfist

I watched 4 episodes past the last Young Justice episode I've ever seen (the one where they lost their memories in the last 6 or so months. I saw it when it premiered 4 years ago) so far I'm really liking this show. I'm guessing this is the show's prime and then it goes all Bleach and starts introducing too many characters.

Spark Of Spirit

Episode 27 is when it starts getting way too unwieldy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Ah sweet. ;D I'm on like episode 13.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Cartoon X on April 16, 2014, 07:06:04 PMThat's an interesting list. I don't really agree with a lot of the ordering, though (Frozen over Lion King? Um...) and King Kong and Roger Rabbit really shouldn't qualify to be on it since they are predominantly live-action films. I'm also disappointed that Beautiful Dreamer, Summer Wars, Wolf Children, and Redline weren't on the list, for obvious reasons.

You should read the individual lists from the animation critics/journalists that helped compile this list. Those seem to have much more thoughtful choices, including some titles that didn't make it onto the list. I know at least one person had Summer Wars included in his top 10, but that was the only case of that film ever being mentioned. There were also no other representatives of Hosoda's work, so nobody included The Girl Who Leaped Through Time or Wolf Children (though, to be fair, the latter is still relatively recent, being less than 2 years old at this point, and having been dubbed less than a year ago). And of course, there is no mention of Redline anywhere to be found. It seems that for the most part, only Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli or Satoshi Kon films got any love in terms of representatives of great Japanese animation.

Oh well, just for the hell of it, I'll post my current top 10 favorite animated films of all time for you guys to compare to the critics (which shouldn't be too different from the last time I put it up).

1. Summer Wars
2. The Lion King
3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
4. Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
5. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm/Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (cheating, I know)
6. Wolf Children
7. The Nightmare Before Christmas
8. Up
9. Redline
10. Felidae (this spot is really a toss up between this, Toy Story 3, and Monsters, Inc., for me)

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 16, 2014, 07:52:05 PM

You should read the individual lists from the animation critics/journalists that helped compile this list. Those seem to have much more thoughtful choices, including some titles that didn't make it onto the list.

I did! I liked their personal lists, but that really didn't have anything to do with how I felt with the combined list, so I didn't think to comment on them.

And of course, there is no mention of Redline anywhere to be found. It seems that for the most part, only Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli or Satoshi Kon films got any love in terms of representatives of great Japanese animation.

Yeah, the anime choices were pretty expected, but still, they were good films and I was pleasantly surprised to see Mind Game made the list.

At the very least, the list is a good resource for me to use to check out some films I haven't got around to seeing yet. I'm going to have fun filling my gaps this summer.  :)

1. Summer Wars
2. The Lion King
3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
4. Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
5. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm/Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (cheating, I know)
6. Wolf Children
7. The Nightmare Before Christmas
8. Up
9. Redline
10. Felidae (this spot is really a toss up between this, Toy Story 3, and Monsters, Inc., for me)

Your list definitely stands out against those critics' picks.  thumbup:

Come to think of it...Felidae wasn't on their list was it? Hmm....

Avaitor

The individual lists are worth a look, yeah. And I've seen Jerry stand by his choice of Kung-Fu Panda elsewhere. I prefer the sequel, but I like seeing the original get some love here as well.

New blog!