Higurashi

Started by Avaitor, March 25, 2011, 12:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Damn fine series. Well, the original and Kai at least. Rei was hugely average and disappointing. And the less said about Umineko the better.

Good thing we're done with all of that in the anime world.

*checks AR's Twutter*

Foggle, surely you're not serious?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

There's more coming, yes. There actually is a possibility of it being good if they base it off some of the exclusive arcs from the PS2 VN.

But knowing DEEN, it'll probably just end up being poorly animated fanservice "comedy."

Spark Of Spirit

I teared up at this news.

Not in the good way.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

It's confirmed to be "fanservice" "comedy." I should have known.

As much as I love the first two seasons, I really wish this franchise as a whole had died after Kai. They're whoring this shit out so much that my fandom is seriously on the verge of disintegrating.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

If they're going to attempt humor, they need to hire a better writer, seriously. The non-serious dialogue has always been one of Higurashi's weak links (dating all the way back to the VN, in fact), and would have greatly benefited from being penned by someone actually capable of being witty.

Spark Of Spirit

I really have to wonder at the people who enjoy crap like Umineko over material with good writing and characterization from the original Higurashi. I mean, it's not even funny. It contains none of the elements that made it popular in the first place, it's badly written, and it's fucking stupid as shit.

I still remember that first episode of Rei with all the comedy and all I couldn't help but keep pointing out was that none of it made any sense and was completely out of character and tone with the rest of the series, even the previous humorous moments. Sure that series wasn't as good as the other two, but that was the first sign to me that they were losing the plot.

Is it really asking too much to have well written mystery/suspense anymore? Or is there really more interest in the garbage Umineko shits out effortlessly that demeans both the entire medium and the mystery genre?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on March 26, 2011, 10:06:19 AM
I really have to wonder at the people who enjoy crap like Umineko over material with good writing and characterization from the original Higurashi. I mean, it's not even funny. It contains none of the elements that made it popular in the first place, it's badly written, and it's fucking stupid as shit.
I'm pretty sure Higurashi being so good was an accident. If you compare Onikakushi-hen (the first arc) in the visual novel to the content of any other VN, you'll see that it's a damn clever subversion of the medium and is filled with satire despite being fairly serious. This concept was expanded upon in Watanagashi and Tatarigoroshi, both of which attempted the same thing (and largely succeeded) while adding more plot elements. The first three arcs are, effectively, a horror/mystery version of the average eroge VN in concept, development, and execution.

There was a real shift in focus with the following 5 arcs, where the story became more fleshed out and acceptable as its own beast rather than as a subversion of something else. The last 4, entitled "Kai," used retcons to explain most of the stuff from previous chapters, and they made perfect sense in both Meakashi and Tsumihoroboshi. They were reaching a bit with the ones in Minagoroshi, but that arc was so good that it was easy to overlook the lack of plausibility. Matsuribayashi didn't really retcon anything, and is great up until the end, when it becomes apparent that Ryukishi07 has no fucking clue how to properly end a story - which is why Miotsukushi-hen, a story arc exclusive to the PS2 visual novel (and one that was not written by Ryukishi) is generally considered the true ending by Japanese fans.

Umineko, on the other hand, is an attempt (and utter failure) to pull off Higurashi in a different setting, using an ensemble cast instead of a developed one and a magic/murder mystery argument instead of true peril for the protagonists. Instead of using each arc to develop the concept, plot, and characters further, it uses them as an excuse to go off on separate tangents that may or may not have anything to do with the rest of the series.

Now, I have not read the ending of Umineko (I outright refuse to continue after Episode 6), but from what I've heard, the ending was far worse than what anyone could have imagined. Umineko as a whole is essentially a fanfiction Battler wrote about his family with some famous writer who decided to include witches and magic in the story to make it more interesting and profitable.

Really. That's how it ends. It's as if even Ryukishi07 knew his story was terrible and that there was no way for him to end it properly.
Quote from: Desensitized on March 26, 2011, 10:06:19 AM
I still remember that first episode of Rei with all the comedy and all I couldn't help but keep pointing out was that none of it made any sense and was completely out of character and tone with the rest of the series, even the previous humorous moments. Sure that series wasn't as good as the other two, but that was the first sign to me that they were losing the plot.
The entirety of Rei was nonsensical and completely out of character. The comedy episodes had nothing to do with anything and everything about Saikoroshi-hen was just stupid. I mean, seriously, let's just look at how it all started: after 100s of years, Rika has finally managed to escape from her fated death. So, of course, it makes perfect sense that she'd decide to ride her bike at 50 mph down a hill on the wrong side of the road without a helmet and then try to knock Satoko over when she tries to stop her.

Honestly, what the fuck?

Spark Of Spirit

I guess it wouldn't bother me so much if audiences would stop telling them that this is the quality of writing they find acceptable. I'm up for randomness and twists too and whatever, but not when its just thrown together in the stupidest way possible. Why the fans seem to love that style of writing I'll never know, but it really doesn't work at all.

And yet I'm almost certain had this come out in the 90s, Umineko would have been ridiculed into obscurity faster than Genocyber. Not to say standards were better then, but quality, especially in the anime industry, used to be rewarded. It's not really worth making quality anymore because everyone just ignores it for 'lolrandom' and poorly written and made junk for throwaway entertainment.

Angus

Adding fanservice could have been like transitioning Evil Dead into Army of Darkness. There must be some way of doing it right, like just keeping them as omakes a la Black Lagoon.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, it could've been really cool, but there's no real attempt at satire, it's just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. It's just bad storytelling.

Dr. Insomniac

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 25, 2011, 06:51:04 PM
Eh, can't blame Funi for not wanting to license a show that didn't sell well.
Yeah, I don't. It's the "fans" who would never even think of paying for something they enjoy I'm mad about.

QuoteBut on the plus side, that means Ookami Kakushi is never coming here.
Umineko, too. So the good far outweighs the bad in this case, especially when you consider that Kai was fansubbed back in the days when you could get all your anime Xvid encoded in .avi format, making it incredibly easy to burn your own DVDs. ;)

Avaitor

I tried to hard to buy the set when I could, but never had enough spare money to purchase it. Now it's too late, and I feel bad about it.

New blog!