Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Since you mentioned it, though, it's certainly not the first new Jump series to not feel very Jump-esque. Both "The Promised Neverland" and "Chainsawman" also don't feel like you're usual Jump titles and tend to be skewed more towards the older teen readers than younger boys. I think it's fair to say that Jump has been in a transitional period over the past few years and has been more experimental as a result of it. Personally I really like this direction that the magazine has been going in. You get plenty of more traditional series like My Hero Academia and Kimetsu no Yaiba (though executed to such a high level that they still stand out), while also getting a fair amount of less conventional stories like Dr. Stone and Act Age. I'm perfectly fine with both, though The Last Saiyuki certainly looks to be among the latter, which is all the more welcome to diversify the content in Jump.

Painted Outlaw

https://www.tokyoreporter.com/crime/attack-on-titan-editor-handed-11-year-prison-term-for-murder-of-wife/amp/

Damn, hope the guy's kids can find a better home because they're certainly not gonna find one where they are right now. Not sure what this means for the manga itself, maybe it will start wrapping up quicker? Last I glimpsed its news, Hajime Isayama claimed AoT was on the final arc so it wouldn't come off like he was lying.

VLordGTZ

It probably won't affect AoT itself much, since he'll just be assigned a new editor.  Though goddamn.....that's brutal.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 05, 2019, 08:44:03 PM
Since you mentioned it, though, it's certainly not the first new Jump series to not feel very Jump-esque. Both "The Promised Neverland" and "Chainsawman" also don't feel like you're usual Jump titles and tend to be skewed more towards the older teen readers than younger boys. I think it's fair to say that Jump has been in a transitional period over the past few years and has been more experimental as a result of it. Personally I really like this direction that the magazine has been going in. You get plenty of more traditional series like My Hero Academia and Kimetsu no Yaiba (though executed to such a high level that they still stand out), while also getting a fair amount of less conventional stories like Dr. Stone and Act Age. I'm perfectly fine with both, though The Last Saiyuki certainly looks to be among the latter, which is all the more welcome to diversify the content in Jump.

I definitely agree.  I feel like WSJ has done a good job of diversifying their lineup with recent successes.  Even series that I wasn't particularly into initially, Jujutsu Kaisen for instance, have been able to find their own identity and win me over.  It's refreshing to see, for sure.

Speaking of which, I posted this on Twitter a while ago, but I ranked how I feel about everything regularly running in WSJ (sans The Last Saiyuki):

1. Hinomaru Sumo
I caught up to the series back in January, and damn has it blown me away!  The Pro Sumo arc's focus on sumo's struggle for relevance in the present day, and the physical risk that the sport inflicts on the wrestlers are aspects that I feel have been long absent from modern shonen sports manga.  Hinomaru's struggle to overcome his physical trauma, and re-learning his love for sumo was a great way to challenge his resolve from the High School arc and provide further depth to his character as a result. The recent chapters have also done a wonderful job of maintaining the tension within the September tournament with the series of unexpected match upsets, positioning threats beyond just Yokozuna Jin'o himself. Kawada mentioned in one of his author's comments that he never expected the series to continue past high school sumo, and wanted to use it to take advantage of what he could not do in a high school setting.  I think it's safe to say that he's accomplished that wholeheartedly.

2. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
I've explained before why I love this manga so much and that hasn't really changed.  The series is a satisfying read from week to week, and even though this seems to be the final arc, it's only continuing to pick up steam!

3. Act-Age
Act-Age blew me away when it first came out, but it's managed to escalate beyond even that since then.  I love its focus on the psychological aspect of acting, showing the thin line between reality and fiction that its actors experience in their roles.  I especially loved Araya's focus near the end of the Stage Production arc, and how he was able to use his role as Giovanni to come to terms with his own feelings of loss.  It seems like the new arc that's starting will be more low-key than previous ones, but I'm interested to see what Matsuki and Usazaki bring to the table this time.

4. The Promised Neverland
An obvious choice here.  I've been enjoying the recent material a lot, and I'm invested more than ever in the coming story events.

5. Teenage Renaissance David
This manga is just plain hilarious and a treat to read every week.  While it has a fair amount of lewd humor, it's balanced perfectly with a quirky cast of characters that each enhance the comedy in their own way.  I love it so much!

6. Jujutsu Kaisen
I really regret brushing off this series initially, becaused damn did it get some legs.  Itadori's self-sacrificing motivation makes him stand out among other battle-shonen protagonists, and the conflicting dynamic he has with Sukuna is very well done. I'm happy with the direction that the series is going in, and I hope Akutami will keep it up.

7. Black Clover
While Black Clover is very by-the-books, I think that's a lot of its charm.  I love the action sequences and the general rush of adrenaline it provides while reading it.  It's just a really fun manga.

8. MHA
The recent twists with Deku's quirk have me slightly concerned, but I feel that Horikoshi has more than proven his ability to handle this material well.  Overall, it's a very enjoyable read.

9. One Piece
The Whole Cake Island and Wano arcs have been a huge turnaround for the series in comparison to Dressrosa.  I hope Oda can keep it up!

10. Dr. Stone
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel like Dr. Stone tends to slog between major events.  That being said, I love its cast of characters and Senku's crazy inventions help keep my attention even in its less-interesting moments.

11. We Never Learn
We Never Learn has done a great job of not falling into the romantic "stalemate" trap that so many other rom-coms have experience.  Yuiga is also a genuinely interesting protagonist, and the recent events in the series seem to signify that Taishi does intend to give his character arc a proper pay off, which is nice to see.

12. Haikyu
The recent Fukurodani match didn't interest me too much outside of some key moments with Akaashi and Bokuto, but I'm so far intrigued with Karasuno's match with Kammomedai, so hopefully it will keep up the pace.

13. I'm From Japan
Like David, this series is a hilarious read every week.  That being said, a lot of the jokes are very Japanese-centric, so some of them don't land as well with English speakers in comparison to David's European-centric humor.  Still, it's a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to the anime in April.

14. Ne0;lation
I love the unique things that Ne0 manages to do with technology.  It's a real shame that it doesn't seem to be gaining much of an audience in Japan, because I feel like it still has a lot of potential.

15. Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
For an ecchi manga, Yuuna has a surprisingly well developed cast and a protagonist who doesn't feel like a blank slate or self-insert.  The recent material has also focus more on the actual plot progression of the series, and has been very satisfying so far.
16. Food Wars
My enjoyment of the series has severely waned since the end of the central arc, but I'm still invested in the cast of characters.  I kinda hope the series ends after this arc, because I just don't see it regaining my interest.
17. Chainsaw Man
This manga is super trashy but that's a part of its charm.  I'm still not sure where the series is going, but considering how well it's selling in Japan, it seems like it'll have more than enough time to do whatever it wants.
18. Hell Warden Higuma
Higuma has a lot of great ideas, but I feel its hindered by the over-saturation of exorcist-esque that exists currently.  It's a good series, but it just doesn't have legs.

19. Boruto
This is mainly at the bottom because I'm just not as invested in it when compared to other series.  I will say though, that I have been enjoying the recent material with Kawaki, and his dynamic with both Naruto and Boruto has been quite interesting.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm not going to lie, I find Food Wars ironically entertaining to read for how much of a trainwreck the latest arc has been. Trust me, people who say that this series is the new Bleach in terms of its rapid decline in quality are not exaggerating. It really has gotten that atrociously bad, but I can't help but laugh and anticipate what methods Tsukuda Yuto will find to bring his manga down to new lows each week.

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #15, 2019
Yui Kamio Lets Loose (Cover + Lead CP, New Series by Shiibashi Hiroshi)
1. One Piece
2. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
3. The Promised Neverland
The Last Saiyuki (CP)
4. Dr. Stone
5. My Hero Academia
We Never Learn (CP)
6. Haikyu!!
7. Black Clover
8. Jujutsu Kaisen
9. Act-Age
Hinomaru Sumo (CP)
10. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
11. Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
I'm From Japan
12. Chainsaw-man
13. Hell Warden Higuma
14. ne0;lation
Teenage Renaissance! David

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #16, 2019:
Cover + Lead CP: Black Clover
CP: Dr. Stone, Act-Age, Yui Kamio Lets Loose

It looks like we aren't getting any cancellations this time around, which I guess makes sense since 20 weekly series is the max capacity that WSJ usually does.  Samurai 8 is still slated for this spring though, so I don't expect Ne0 and/or Higuma to last much longer.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, SNS seems to be rushing to it's ending (I will be genuinely surprised if it doesn't end after this arc), and Hinomaru seems to be winding down too, so I think that makes at least two slots that will be freed up within the year. That said, it doesn't look like either neo or HWH will last much longer, regardless.

VLordGTZ

Yuuna and We Never Learn are also very close to ending, so they'll probably be done by the end of the year as well.  I think Hinomaru Sumo might linger into next year, since there seems to be 6-8 essential matches left that need to be shown in the tournament (assuming that Kawada goes through with the four-way tie-breaker he's been hinting at).  Out of all the long-running series though, I think Food Wars will be the first to go.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 08, 2019, 11:56:43 AM
I'm not going to lie, I find Food Wars ironically entertaining to read for how much of a trainwreck the latest arc has been. Trust me, people who say that this series is the new Bleach in terms of its rapid decline in quality are not exaggerating. It really has gotten that atrociously bad, but I can't help but laugh and anticipate what methods Tsukuda Yuto will find to bring his manga down to new lows each week.

I'm overall more positive on Food Wars! than you are, but the rushed pacing of this arc screams Tsukuda throwing every idea he has at the wall in a desperate bid to regain readership but having to change directions constantly when it doesn't work out. I think there's still been good moments here and there, but the story structure and pacing's been a mess. I really wish the series ended with the Central arc, which in spite of its tiresome length, ended on a strong and satisfying note that would've been perfect to send the series off. At this point, I really just hope Tsukada doesn't drop the ball on a Soma vs. Erina shokugeki, which has always been the way I imagined how the series would end and I'll be really sad if he doesn't pull it off.

If I were to rank everything I'm reading from WSJ like VLord in terms of my interest and enjoyment at the moment, right now I'm feeling:

1. We Never Learn
2. The Promised Neverland
3. Act-Age
4. Dr. Stone
5. Boruto
6. My Hero Academia
7. One Piece
8. Black Clover
9. Jujutsu Kaisen
10. Ne0;lation
11. Chainsaw Man
12. Hell Warden Higuma
13. Food Wars!
14. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
15. Hinomaru Sumo
16. Haikyuu
17. I'm From Japan
18. Teenage Renaissance David

We Never Learn is the series I always find myself reading first when it comes out every week. Unlike some other series, I'm always in the mood to read it and it's been on a great streak of funny but heartfelt chapters. The reason Demon Slayer, Hinomaru Sumo, and Haikyuu are relatively low is because I haven't read the gap in between what's legally available of these series so there's a lot of context/emotional investment I'm missing when I read new chapters, though I still think they're good. I pretty much like everything currently running in Jump. The only reason I'm not reading Yuuna is because it's not being legally simulpublished anywhere.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't know, man. Jouichiro jobbing to a no-name villain that Tsukuda clearly just pulled out of his ass, especially when he was built up as Soma's main goal really doesn't sit right with me. I'm also not a fan of how he has handled Erina's character this arc. I'm not really a fan of the Central saga either, but at least it did a few good things like giving Erina some meaningful development. However, it's like Tsukuda wanted to hit the reset switch on that just to set-up for a moment where Soma snaps her out of her bitch mode (this is clearly what's being set up here), and undoes over a hundred chapters of character development in an instant. I really think that Tsukuda has an issue as a writer when it comes to his use of villains, and honestly SNS is the kind of series that thrives on rivalries but falls to pieces when he tries to insert straight up bad guys into it. Asahi is a clear example of this, by far being the most poorly thought-out and terribly written characters that I've seen from any manga in quite a long while. Od argue that he isn't even a real character as much as he is a plot device.

Additionally, this arc can only narratively make any sense if Soma wins the tournament. Yet, nothing I've seen makes me the slightest bit convinced that he'd be anywhere near good enough to do it without a BS last-minute power-up, which I'm fully expecting Tsukuda to do at this point because he's written himself into a corner and tends to give Soma way too much plot-armor.

Also, I've been wanting to catch up on Act-Age but Viz has not been publishing any of the missing chapters like they said they would. I may just end up reading them on illegal sites at this point so I can at least catch up with the current legal releases.

Chainsawman has been a pleasant surprise for me so far. It's the kind of manga that would be your typical trashy edge-lord shit if it wasn't as clearly self-aware as it was. It knows it's schlocky and plays up to that, which ends up kind of being part of it's appeal since it doesn't take itself way too seriously and instead just revels in it's own absurdity.

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #16, 2019
Black Clover (Cover, Lead CP)
1. One Piece
2. My Hero Academia
3. Demon Slayer: Kimestu no Yaiba
4. We Never Learn
Yui Kamio Lets Loose (CP)
5. The Promised Neverland
6. Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
The Last Saiyuki
Dr. Stone (CP)
7. Jujutsu Kaisen
8. Haikyu!!
9. Chainsaw Man
Act-Age (CP)
10. Hinomaru Sumo
11. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
12. Ne0;lation
13. Hell Warden Higuma
I'm From Japan

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #17, 2019
Cover/Lead CP: One Piece
CP: Haikyu!!, Boruto, Chainsaw Man

VLordGTZ

Forgot to post this earlier in the week

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #17, 2019

One Piece (Cover, Lead CP)
1. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
2. Dr. Stone
4. Act-Age
Yui Kamio Lets Loose
Haikyu!! (CP)
5. My Hero Academia
6. Black Clover
The Last Saiyuki
7. Jujutsu Kaisen
Boruto (CP)
8. Hinomaru Sumo
9. We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man (CP)
10. Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
11. Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
12. Hell Warden Higuma
13. ne0;lation
I'm From Japan

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue 18, 2019
Cover/Lead CP: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
CP: We Never Learn, I'm From Japan, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - Tomioka Giyu Gaiden (One Shot by Hirano Ryoji (Bozebeats))

Good move to on WSJ's part to give all the series getting anime in the spring season CPs in the next issue.  I'm also hoping Viz will translate the Giyu side-story chapter.

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #18, 2019
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (Cover & LCP)
1. The Promised Neverland
2. One Piece
3. Black Clover
4. My Hero Academia
We Never Learn (CP)
5. Hinomaru Sumo
6. Jujutsu Kaisen
Yui Kamio Lets Loose
Kimetsu no Yaiba Gaiden (CP)
7. Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
Risky Magician (CP)
The Last Saiyuki
8. Act-Age
9. Chainsaw Man
I'm From Japan (CP)
11. Hell Warden Higuma
12. Ne0;lation

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #19, 2019
Cover/Lead CP: We Never Learn
CPs: Black Clover, Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma

Tite Kubo's new project will also be revealed next issue.  That should be interesting...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I normally don't like long, drawn-out fights in battle shonen manga, but hot damn is the Tanjirou/Giyu vs. Akaza fight from KnY one of the best ones in recent memory. The constant back and forth makes the situation really intense, especially since this series isn't shy about killing off supporting characters like the Pillars. I legit felt like there were several moments in this battle that could've been Giyu's last. And likewise, whenever things are going in favor of the good guys, it can take only an instant for the villain to turn the tide back against them through their own skill and cleverness. There have been so many close calls on both sides, but I do have a feeling that Tanjirou's last strike in this chapter was at least a serious one, if not a definitive killing blow.

VLordGTZ

EDIT: Apparently the earlier ToC was a fake.  Just corrected it.  :sweat:   
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #19, 2019
We Never Learn (Cover/Lead CP)
2. Dr. Stone
4. Haikyu!!
5. Jujutsu Kaisen
Black Clover (CP)
6. Hinomaru Sumo
7. Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - Giyu Tomioka Gaiden (31p, 2nd Part)
8. My Hero Academia
The Last Saiyuki
9. Act-Age
10. Chainsaw Man
Yui Kamio Lets Loose
Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma (CP)
I'm From Japan
11. Hell Warden Higuma
12. Ne0;lation
Teenage Renaissance David

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #20, 2019
Cover/Lead CP: The Promised Neverland
CPs: Hinomaru Sumo, Act-Age, Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings

VLordGTZ

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #20, 2019
The Promised Neverland (Cover, Lead CP)
2. Dr. Stone
3. One Piece
4. My Hero Academia
5. Haikyu!!
6. We Never Learn
Act-Age (CP)
The Last Saiyuki
7. Black Clover
Yui Kamio Lets Loose
8. Jujutsu Kaisen
Yuuna and the Haunted Hotsprings (CP)
9. Chainsaw Man
Hinomaru Sumo (CP)
11. Hell Warden Higuma
12. Ne0;lation
I'm From Japan

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #21, 2019
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover/Lead CP)
1. The Promised Neverland
2. One Piece
3. Dr. Stone
4. Black Clover
Haikyu (Color)
5. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
6. The Last Saiyuki
7. We Never Learn
Boruto (Color)
8. My Hero Academia
9. Hinomaru Sumo
Yui Kamio Lets Loose
Act-Age (Color)
10. Chainsaw Man
11. Yuuna
I'm From Japan
12. Hell Warden Higuma
13. Shokugeki no Soma
14. Ne0;lation

Looks like Saiyuki is placing high in the ToC, which is a very good sign!  Samurai 8 is supposed to start next month, alongside another new series, so we should see some series ending soon (probably Ne0 and Higuma).